Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibrating/Whirring/Metallic Type Sound From Engine Bay

Hey all,

Did a bit of searching but did not find anything here. When I'm driving, around the 4000rpm mark, I hear a sound with the engine of a vibrating type... Sounds metallic too as if it were almost like a plate number vibrating on some metal. That could be the best way to describe this sound.

Now anywhere before 4000rpm, the sound is non-existent. When I rev slowly or quickly the sound seems to come at 4000rpm. If I step on clutch at 4000rpm, the revs obviously fall and the sound disappears, so it only seems to make the sound when the revs are up.

It does sound quite harsh, and because a DC2R is loud as it is, I could only hear this sound as it is just as loud as the engine itself. I'm getting a bit worried and hoping its not major.

Noticed the sound since about maybe 2 weeks ago. The only thing we did was changed oil, and also unscrewed the spark plug cover to give it a good clean and put it back.

One thing to note, when we filled oil back in, I checked dipstick and there was not one drop on the dipstick. Left it for a few minutes and oil was maybe up to lowest dot only. We did not change oil filter. Now initially we only put 3L oil in.

To fix this up, I stupidly put an extra litre of oil in, but obviously not taking into account the oil in the filter. So now my car oil level on dipstick is above the maximum dot. I would say if you look at the length between the two dots, comparing that to the level of oil 'above' the second dot, maybe about 1/3 of the length between the 2 dots. So that seems kind of high.

I'm not sure if having too much oil, has anything to do with the sound I am hearing. Has it already caused some damage to my engine, or do you think the sound is unrelated and just a coincidence.

I am about to let some oil out today so it doesn't go above the maximum level, but just posting here to see if anyone might know what is causing this harsh sound at 4000rpm.

p.s. When I rev higher than 4000rpm, the sound seems to hang around til maybe 5000rpm, but at this rev and beyond, its hard to hear it anymore coz the engine, intake and zorst system is getting louder. So either the sound disappears, or I can't hear it due to engine being too loud already.
    Last edited by rayDC2R; 20-01-10, 02:40 PM.

do you have Toda headers with those springs?

Comment

Yes I do!
      That's what I forgot to say as well...
      You know the harshness of Toda header? The sound it makes? Well it sounds almost like that except with a metallic sound!
      Please tell me you know the sound I'm talking about and its just the springs

Comment

So nobody else has any suggestions? Nobody else experience something similar?

zeth_an... why did you ask that question?

Comment

i'm guessing zeth suspects the springs vibrating causing the metallic sound

give your exhaust a tap with a long piece of wood to see if you hear the metallic sound again
          my heatshield on my metal cat broke the spot welds and was barely hanging on causing a metallic rattle on deceleration
          needless to say i knocked the sucker off and all was good

Comment

I think the key here is, did you start the car or drive around, after you intitially put 3L in?

Metal-metal sound is not a good sign, it could easily be a rod bearing or a cracked piston, from low oil pressure.

I would have it checked out ASAP!

Comment

just started the car for a few minutes... then let it sit another few minutes... that's when i checked and there was no oil on the dipstick...

well it sounds metallic... but if it were a rod bearing or piston, would the sound be consistent through the whole rev range, or just at 4000rpm? i only get this sound at 4000rpm and maybe only through to 5000rpm... after that my engine and exhaust takes over and can't hear anything, or the sound disappears... one of the two...

edit: actually, when i think of the harshness of the sound, it kind of sounds like the toda header, and also possibly a supercharger harshness... if that helps anyone?

Comment

Are you able to take a sound clip of it? Impossible to tell without hearing it

Consequently on idle, do you hear any abnormal noises in the engine bay or under the car?

Comment

On idle... no weird or abnormal sounds... Car sounds perfect unless driven up to 4000rpm. Actually, sometimes I can't remember it happening all the time... I'm going for another drive today and see if I can take a sound clip of it, if it does happen.

Comment

i'd check for any loose items in the engine bay.
                    the Grab n shake n listen method works well...

Things i've rectified in the past to kill clicking n clacking sounds in my DC2R.
                    1. Loose radiator/condensor fan shroud. (rattles around 4k rpm).
                    2. Aircon hose plastic clip. Rattles against the metal base at about 4k rpm. (Annoying as hell).
                    3. Cat converter heat shield.

A friend of mine had his car serviced and drove around for 3 months with a metallic clicking sound when he accelerated. I thought of the worse.. then we popped the bonnet, and presto! we find a socket wrench sitting in the spark plug cavity on the valve cover. lol!

GL

Comment

And when you do go for the drive, rev it to 4k, whilst stationary, and listen. Will answer a lot of questions

Comment

while stationary, revving to 4krpm also makes the noise... haven't driven it yet but i did it last time when i was stationary to check...

Comment

I took a few vids with sound but when I reviewed it back on my PC, I couldn't really hear it so I'm not going to post it up.

Update on the sound: it actually sounds more like a loud buzzing type sound, and as previously said, its got like the harshness of a supercharger. Only happen between 4000-4500rpm and I'm sure it actually disappears after that.

Comment

hey guys...

the sound got worse and i think i know where its coming from but not 100% sure.
                            i started up my car for the first time today (meaning it was cold) and the noise was very loud. continuous loud rattling metallic sound.

opened my hood, and tried listening and seemed to be coming from the middle, so ducked my head down to look at header, zorst, and cat and it seems like it was coming from the cat.

i drove the car and it almost disappeared when my car warmed up. now it just sounds a bit around the 1500-2000rpm rev range.

can the cat make the rattling sound and does it mean its on its way out, if not, already dead?

Comment

Working...
                            X