Axle Tramping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axle Tramping

Ok so I've been trying to look around for causes of axle tramp and ways to fix it but I haven't found an answer yet besides the usual replace all bushings, etc. I'll be taking the car in for a wheel alignment soon so I'll be discussing this issue with those people as well.

I've driven an EGK20A and that had no issues with axle tramping at all and it would just spin even on R888's.

If anyone could suggest anything I'm all ears! I'm aware that there are more then several variables which could be the cause of this.
    Last edited by SPL_K; 19-01-10, 11:51 PM.

To help curb the axle tramp you can run firmer rear, and softer front suspension too. Lower front tyre pressures also help ever do slightly.

Comment

So you drive an EG K20?

What kind of mounts are you using? I know DC5R's are prone to shocking axel tramp, an an easy fix to this was stiffening the engine mounts (Be it with Hasport mounts or engine mount inserts)

Comment

No, I still have my DC2R K20... but I've previously driven one.

I have hasport mounts, but I can't remember the ratings on them, Toda Fightex N1 coiloves 18kg/16kg, Avid racing traction bar, Cusco 1.5way lsd. Previously in my B series I've had no problems at all so I doubt it would be bushing problems.

Comment

hmmm thats weired! do what m0nty suggested...firm up the rears and soften the fronts...but thats only good for straight line...
          183.2KW ATW
          BUILT BY DR HONDA
          Tuned by INSIGHT MOTORSPORT

12.44@109.9mph

Comment

Well my dampers on the front were on 2 of 14... lol so I don't think I can go any softer. I'll try and borrow my friends coilovers and see how the car goes.

On a separate note I had the car weighed today with all fluids at 1080kg!

Comment

lol shit.. with the k20 you still manged lighten than a stock dc2r?? hows that work??

Comment

stripping it out...

(it also has a full cage too!)
                ... retired/

Comment

K20 engine is slightly lighter than B18C as well.
                  CARSFORHOPE

Comment

I spent a few drag session tuning my front suspension to Toyo R888
                    not sure how much it would apply to your car but I found
                    too much front rebound damping introduces axle tramp
                    too little front rebound damping introduces wheel spin

and the moment I found the sweetspot between the two, it had too much grip that the Quaife diff shattered, LoL

Comment

Lol i had too much axle tramp before my final drive shit itself...

So basically i should get some softer coilovers for the street and see if the fixes the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by SPL_K View Post
                        Lol i had too much axle tramp before my final drive shit itself...

So basically i should get some softer coilovers for the street and see if the fixes the problem?
                        See if there's a softer spring option for them. I wouldn't worry about replacing the entire assembly just yet. Places like Heasmans can get it all balanced for you and let you know what spring rates work well with your shocks and damper settings.

Comment

Additionally you could try one of these, whiteline anti-lift kits, which basically aim to soften the front. Worked for some, didn't work for others.

There's a good read on how it works here.

Worth a shot, at a cheap price.

Comment

Hm... would roll center adjusters help?

Comment

remove the avid traction bar and see how that goes.
                              BYP Racing & Developments
                              Built. Tuned. Driven
                              Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Working...
                              X