No announcement yet.

K20A3 Gearbos issues, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K20a gearbox are hard to find. You'll be lucky to get a wrecker to seperate it from there halfcuts.

But upgrading to a 6speed gearbox will make the engine ALIVE!.

I used to drive a k20a3 base model with a dc5r gearbox, it was really fun. Always on the limiter. Even threw it on the dyno to see what i made LOL 100kw!!
    BYP Racing & Developments
    Built. Tuned. Driven
    Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

have you thought about re building it?

at least you will know its a fresh box, if you go with a second hand one you will not know its history and you may end up with similar issues down the track.... just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by JORDS View Post
        have you thought about re building it?

at least you will know its a fresh box, if you go with a second hand one you will not know its history and you may end up with similar issues down the track.... just a thought.
        Yeah thats the other option, take out the whole gearbox, pull it apart and work on it. New LSD, and see what needs fixing.. but i wanna know how much it will cost

Comment

You should contact Phil aka DrHonda, he will re build your box.

If my memory serves me correct he may even have a box for sale.

Comment

You should contact Phil aka DrHonda, he will re build your box.

If my memory serves me correct he may even have a box for sale.
            lol at "He will re build your box"

Yeah, let me know if he has any ideas on prices for a rebuild or a 2nd hand box..

have already been PMed with a good price

Comment

email Phil@ dr.honda@live.com

Comment

he will re build your box.
                anyone can rebuild a gearbox... costs just depends what is broken - this is only determined once gearbox is removed and disassembled...
                ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy_B View Post
                  chrome metal colour lol only little tiny bits
                  usually if it were the syncro it would be a bronze colour im thinkin its the locator thing that prevents selecting two gears at once i forget the name of it lol as jords said ur better off gettin rebuild because anyone can sell u a box and say its in good condition ...its as easy as a wire brush and degreaser

Comment

Yeah, im going to call up local honda dealer and see what they quote me, i know they will say something crazy like $5000 or some sh*t...

Stupid question BUT, can you re-build a 5speed into a 6speed?? or should i just re-build it the way it is?

also, if i end up re-building it, is there good after market parts that will perform better than OEM and make a difference?

one other thing (lol) should i replace the LSD? or just focus on the re build

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                      anyone can rebuild a gearbox... costs just depends what is broken - this is only determined once gearbox is removed and disassembled...
                      I agree Dave.

The OP is thinking about going to his local Honda dealer for a quote. Im just trying to give some advice, and help him save a few bucks. Phil has built heaps of K series boxes. He is very reasonable on his prices and is extremely efficient.

Comment

Yeah, im going to call up local honda dealer and see what they quote me, i know they will say something crazy like $5000 or some sh*t...

Stupid question BUT, can you re-build a 5speed into a 6speed?? or should i just re-build it the way it is?

also, if i end up re-building it, is there good after market parts that will perform better than OEM and make a difference?

one other thing (lol) should i replace the LSD? or just focus on the re build
                        dog engagement with straight cut gears

Comment

ok Honda said this...

"Timothy,

Thanks for your request, the 6 speed transmission for the type r is $6270 and there are no new ones in stock at Honda Australia. The part would have to be ordered from Japan."

OMG lol i knew it was gunna be somthing stupid..
                          Ok i been talking with one of my mates and we think we are just gunna take out the gearbox and see what needs replacing + rebuild with OEM parts.

Not sure when im gunna do this cos the car will be off the road for a bit while we work on it and i still need a car to get to work.

Thanks for all the help guys..

Comment

lol nice. 6K for a gearbox
                            Blaze Orange

Comment

UPDATE.
                              Yonas is going to try find me 1st to 5th gear syncros.
                              hopefully when these are installed the problem is fixed and i can continue saving for mods

Comment

UPDATE.
                                Yonas is going to try find me 1st to 5th gear syncros.
                                hopefully when these are installed the problem is fixed and i can continue saving for mods
                                Dude this is some pretty major work, its not the easiest of task pulling apart a gearbox & putting it all back together again, i remember i done this on my starlet GT gearbox and it took me nearly 4 hours just to put it back together. this might be becuase i am a sht Knt

Comment

Working...
                                X