DC5R handling mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5R handling mods

Im considering a few bar upgrades for my dc5r. However im clueless about a couple of things and need some professional/experienced opinions

With the cusco rear sway 25mm, would i need a subframe brace for the larger sway upgrade or can i just bolt on the sway bar and not have to worry about tears and so on.

I also heard front ep3 sway is a go compare to aftermarket front sways. will both clear the jdm brembo conversion?

And last of all, im interested in doing a jdm brembo conversion but ive read that u could just use s2k rotors and all u need is just to bolt on the brembo calipers. This doesnt fit stock audm wheels right?
    Last edited by jj17; 07-10-09, 01:38 PM.
    bansai! Ling Longs

Originally posted by jj17 View Post
    And last of all, im interested in doing a jdm brembo conversion but ive read that u could just use s2k rotors and all u need is just to bolt on the brembo calipers. This doesnt fit stock audm wheels right?
    No way by a long shot, brembos are a fat caliper

Comment

yea, i just found out as well, if i was to do that i need to get wheels with +30 offset or so depending on spoke design...
      bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

The EP3 sway bar is recommended because aftermarket DC5 sway bars only link to JDM LCAs. I swapped to JDM setup because it was too hard trying to source similar spec EP3 parts. The DC5 rear sway bar is the same as EP3 but EVERYTHING else is different.

I replaced everything from the AUDM setup for ease of aftermarket support. My suspension mod list is below. I'll have a full review of the setup posted here in about a months time

Tanabe Seven coilovers 10kg f/12kg r
        Swift Sway Bars (JDM DC5 spec)
        Js Racing high caster front LCAs
        Js Racing roll centre adjusters
        Js Racing front & rear hubs (JDM spec)
        Js Racing 6 pot front brake kit
        Js Racing rear brake kit
        Function 7 rear LCAs

Comment

Thanks monty, but would u know about whether id need a subframe brace if i was to get a larger rear sway bar?

this is the case for EK's but i couldnt find whether if its necessary for dc5r.
          bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

Thanks monty, but would u know about whether id need a subframe brace if i was to get a larger rear sway bar?

this is the case for EK's but i couldnt find whether if its necessary for dc5r.
            Nope you won't need one. The DC5 rear subframe is evidently much stronger than earlier Hondas. The only bar I have seen that seems to necessitate a subframe brace is the ASR 32mm hollow speedway style bar, and I imagine the main reason they include the brace is because the bar is relocated from the OEM mounting points to facilitate its straight nature.

Other (USDM ) bars sometimes include a rear subframe brace but I doubt they are to prevent subframe damage. More likely they are for bling and perhaps some rigidity.

See this thread for more info on using S2000 rotors with JDM Brembos: LINK

Comment

thanks charger, that answers my main question. much love
              bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

Out of interest is the JDM Brembo conversion done because its the best breaking upgrade or more because its JDM Bling?

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
                  Out of interest is the JDM Brembo conversion done because its the best breaking upgrade or more because its JDM Bling?
                  personally, I haven't noticed much if any difference in braking performance or feel
                  BUT, my pads last longer, fade less quickly, and discs wear evenly.

the OEM single piston floating caliper were roasting pads, lipping rotors, cracked a few more.
                  Last edited by lukits01; 07-10-09, 11:37 PM.

Comment

^ pretty much. less fade etc and sposely the jdm parts with the brake kits like the LCAs and such are stronger and lighter too. correct me if im wrong.
                    bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

Didnt want to make another thread so ill fit it under here,

im considering KONI yellows + eibach pro kit combo for my DC5R but im not sure whether its a good set up for dc5Rs. Ive also got other concerns like this, quoted from Charger

"The problem is that most springs for DC5s are crap. They are too soft and lower the car too much leaving no damper stroke at the front. This is particularly an issue with the Koni yellow dampers because they are OEM length so any lowering eats into available bump travel and makes the damper more likely to be damaged."

dont want to end up blowing my KONI yellows either.. I would love some comparisons to coilover set ups like buddyclub N+ if any experienced/pro wanna enlighten me =]

forgot to mention that prokit springs drop by 1.4 inch rear and 1 inch front if i remember correctly
                      Last edited by jj17; 08-10-09, 02:14 AM.
                      bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

im considering KONI yellows + eibach pro kit combo for my DC5R but im not sure whether its a good set up for dc5Rs. Ive also got other concerns like this, quoted from Charger

"The problem is that most springs for DC5s are crap. They are too soft and lower the car too much leaving no damper stroke at the front. This is particularly an issue with the Koni yellow dampers because they are OEM length so any lowering eats into available bump travel and makes the damper more likely to be damaged."

dont want to end up blowing my KONI yellows either.. I would love some comparisons to coilover set ups like buddyclub N+ if any experienced/pro wanna enlighten me =]

forgot to mention that prokit springs drop by 1.4 inch rear and 1 inch front if i remember correctly
                        I have been considering this as well. My own research suggests that if you get a Koni Yellow set up with matched springs, you need to make sure the Koni's are set up to be the right hight (if not they MIGHT need to be revalved) to match the springs. Also, do u know what the spring rates are for the Eibach Pro kit?.

I would consider something like a K2 Version 2 Coilover setup rather than Buddyclub. Infact i would consider a lot of different set ups over what i hear from Buddyclub. The first thing you need to do is figure out exactly what you want ie: track spec, street, etc... Tein Super Streets are considered to be a good buy if you want street or "soft" coilovers. They are definitely worth the extra money in comparison to the Tein Basic.

In terms of comparisons between different setups, search for suspension dynos. I did have links for quite a few different brands but have sinced lost them. Just try out google in the mean time.
                        sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Wow I am e-famous . Best to search about on clubrsx for experiences with Koni yellows and Eibachs but Eibach seem to be a well respected spring choice and the amounts of lowering you quote don't seem excessive at all, only lowering the front 1" seems like a top idea to me. Any idea on the rates of the Eibach springs?

If you are after only mild lowering you might investigate Mugen Sports Suspension for a hassle free solution.

Another alternative to the Eibach is to try some Ground Control coilover sleeves, at least then you can pick your rates and go for a safe amount of lowering. They do have their problems though due to their pieced together nature.

Comment

indeed E famous. =] ok found a few things on club rsx...

Stock RSX: Spring Rate: (279 Front/458 Rear)
                            Eibach Pro-kit: Spring Rate: (15-20% more than stock) - Drop: (1in Front/1.1in rear)
                            Mugen: Spring Rate: (283 Front/439 Rear) Drop: (1.4in all around)

feel free to correct some of these figures if u know its wrong...

also a quote from jay3737 on club rsx, i think he is the CHARGER of clubrsx =/

"konis + pro-kit springs is an excellent choice. however, the drop may not be as low as you want. sportline springs are a little too low for the konis - you'll risk blowing the seals on the dampers"

oh yea and no, not planning to track my car but maybe 1 or 2 AHG days for the experience. Im mainly after good street performance, and i mean.. good..

so far i can assume pro kit is aye ok as alot of club rsx members drop their car using pro kit on stock shocks. more reading continues..
                            bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

Found more info

"For Koni's, no you cannot lower more than 1.5inch without revalving them to accomodate the drop.

KONI specifically states any warrantly claim for the shock with a greater than 1.5 inch drop will be voided. Yes, they have ways of telling whether you lowered more than 1.5 inches or not."

Alot of the people at rsx says the same. so i guess that rid my worries of blowing the konis... but the question of ride quality/performance still remains =/

or scruff that idea and just get buddyclub N+ =/
                              Last edited by jj17; 08-10-09, 01:09 PM.
                              bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

Working...
                              X