Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Needed - Reattaching Handbrake Cable

Hi All,

I was working on painting my rear calipers, as such i had done the following to give myself access to all the areas required;

1) Removed both bolts holding the caliper together to remove the front brake pad
    2) Dissasembled the where the actual end of the handbrake cables meets with the caliper (held in by a pin)
    3) Dissasembled the handbrake assembly from the hug (one 17mm bolt)

No im reassembling, ive got the pad and caliper bolts together, but am having trouble getting point 2 reassembled... It's as if the cable has gotten shorter. In an effort to bring the caliper mount which pivots on a sprint around to meet the end of the cable, ive been using the large nut holding the spring in place as leverage, but cannot get it to turn enough as the spring will only allow it to go around so far.

ive played with the two nuts on either side of the rubber boot at the end of the handbrake cable, under the impression that this will shorten or extend the handbrake cable but cannot seem to work it out.

Im thinking there must be a way to make the cable longer so i can get the extra 5 mm of room i need to slide the pin back in the hole...

Am i doing it the right way guys? any tips or pointers? Ive only dissasembled the left side at this stage just for this reason (not being able to put back). Worst comes to worst, if i leave it disconnected, will my right wheel still hold as a handbrake? until i can get it to someone?

Cheers boys

This might be a stupid question but is the handbrake down/off?

I have done this before when I did a friends suspension/brake swap and I don't remember it being particularly impossible.

Comment

Make sure the handbrake is down
      BYP Racing & Developments
      Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
      STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

lol -- That is the sort of thing I'd do.. but I'd only figure it out by the time the new cable i've bought doesn't fit either haha ..

Comment

i think theres a nut next to the handbrake handle that tightens/loosens the cable... well there is on my mazda anyway

Comment

yep, the handbrake is down...

ive been told to try and loosen the cable from near the handle to give me some slack...

can i ask, if i do not get the time to try this, which is highly likely with this weeks schedule... can i leave it off as the cars going in for a service this thursday anyway... i'll get my guy to hook it back up, can i rely on the right hand side to grab?

Comment

You'll be fine, just park it in gear.

Comment

errrr not really a good idea..just keep few bricks in car if ur willin to risk it lol that way u can chock wheels

Comment

Working...
                X