Function/Form Coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Function/Form Coilovers

Been looking around for a set of coilovers and came across this relatively new brand known as Function and Form. Their new type 2 coils with "Swift Springs" looks the goods but apart from this honda-tech thread haven't heard much about them in Australia:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1834754

Just wondering if anyone on the forums have had any experience with them. Also considering BC N+ as the price is pretty similar. Car will be most likely a dc5s or dc5r, but i'm assuming coilovers are the same for both?

At the moment, will just be needed for street application for and so i'm looking for a decent ride. Although if you can recommend coils that would be good for track in the future that has a compliant ride, feel free to mention it!

And yes, I've had a look through the previous discussions on this and I've heard that BC RSD and Tein Flex aren't the best rides. Monoflex, Zeals and Toda is a bit out of my budget for a street coilover.

I haven't got too much clue about the technical side of coilovers, so i've posted a few pictures of the coils for the pros to have a look at and comment on design.

Last edited by vuongster; 30-09-09, 01:00 AM.
    DC5S

if you can catch or PM 'chi' on the forum, he's had these coilovers and will be pretty sure to give you feedback about them

Comment

far out there nice lookin ey..whats the price tag on all four corners

Comment

Looks can be deceptive. BuddyClub RSD look nice too...

Originally posted by ChargeR
        Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

yeah true...like those G4 coiloversl lol

Comment

I just got Tanabe Seven coilovers for my car. They're good value too. For 1/3 of the price of the Crux I'd be stupid not to run them first. I have reservations about Crux being the right coilover for our bumpy tracks. I feel they could be way too firm for QR, Winton and WP. 3 tracks I want to spend some major time at.

Clicky

Tanabe Sustec Fives
            F] -31mm ~ -53mm / 8k
            [R] -3mm ~ -55mm / 10k

Tanabe Sustec Sevens
            [F] -43mm ~ -65mm / 10k
            [R] -05mm ~ -41mm / 12k

Comment

monty, you have PM about price

btw, are the tanabe fives suitable for street application? won't be hitting track anytime soon, any pics of cars running the fives ?
              DC5S

Comment

Originally posted by DC2RKID View Post
                far out there nice lookin ey..whats the price tag on all four corners
                if i do get them, i'll be buying them from america. i'll let you know about price if i do happen to do so

Originally posted by VTECMACHINE View Post
                Looks can be deceptive. BuddyClub RSD look nice too...
                yeah agreed, that's why I'm asking for any experiences as i do have reservations about their quality. hmm RSDs, all i've heard is they're too stiff and cause oversteer (just what i heard from a friend). Have you heard anything about the function/form coils VTECMACHINE ?
                DC5S

Comment

Please ignore the "cause oversteer" comment. In my experience, such broad and dumbed down statements come from people that shouldn't be licensed to drive a shopping trolley.

I have emailed Leo regarding the Fives. He has them in stock for DC5 right now. Not sure about other Hondas.

Comment

Looks can be deceiving. Most generic coilovers look about the same, it is what is inside that counts. Where have you read that Function and Form use Swift Springs? It seems odd to use a 100 dollar spring on a 50 dollar damper.

I agree with M0nty's comments also.

My advice would be to not buy a coilover without at least knowing the following things:
                    • Spring rates
                    • Housing construction
                    • A representative shock dyno or hopefully a dyno of the actual dampers used
                    • Type of damper adjustability

Comment

thanks for the pm m0nty! will think it through for sure

the link i posted in my original post mentioned that there was a Swift springs option that could be had with the type II coils. i'll be sure to look into the things you listed charger
                      DC5S

Comment

Originally posted by vuongster View Post
                        thanks for the pm m0nty! will think it through for sure

the link i posted in my original post mentioned that there was a Swift springs option that could be had with the type II coils. i'll be sure to look into the things you listed charger
                        No problem. Depending on your timeframe I'd be happy to invite you over to check out the Sevens on my car. They should be on in less than 6 weeks.

What Tom was getting at is the fact that you're combining Ferrari springs with Kia shocks. Just get a better package to begin with.

Comment

u shud see the US boys using the FF coilovers! they dump the hell outta it! looks swish!

Comment

^ yeh have a look through the thread in the first post, nice dumpage but i have read that it requires you to mess about with the preload to get it that low though which isn't a good thing for the ride comfort for starters
                            DC5S

Comment

Working...
                            X