Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine torque damper

i recently purchased a used j's racing engine damper, 2 things:
    1.how does it work? is it more of a strut than a damper, as there is no visable spring in the cylinder nor any sort of fluid.
    2. now there is a rattling noise commin from the engine, has anyone had experince with this.

final note, has anyone broke a bolt before from over tightening? and can this be repaired? it happend to one of the bolts that hold the stock strut inplace.

there is no spring
    there is a hard piece of urethane inside, which kinda acts as a shock absorber

unfortunately, it has been proven that this product causes damage to your shock towers/chassis, but it is an excellent bling item, so the decision to keep it or not is up to you

i think the rattling is from incorrect installation, if you look carefully at the damper, you can adjsut the amount which the pillowball end sticks out of the orange/green part, you need to do this so taht the urethane inside the body does not move but the pillowball part sticks out enough so as to join both the brackets

Comment

is the urethane component visable when the damper is totally unscrewed apart? cos i dont see anything except for som black residue....like decomposed foam or something. i didnt get instruction with the purchace do you know where i can get one?

Comment

I have the J's damper but it is not currently fitted to the car, because like you Shogun I managed to nearly break the two studs that mount it to the shock tower. I took it off until I can replace those studs.

I too had a fairly significant rattling from the engine bay when I had it fitted and I tried to fix it but could only reduce it. I must have taken that thing on and off like 5 times and I still couldn't get it to a point where I was happy .

In my case the majority of the noise seemed to be coming from the Heim joint thing at the end of the damper that attaches to the strut tower. This joint is quite loose and seems to rattle heaps when subjected to the vibration of the motor.

When I get round to putting the thing back on I was thinking of putting some sort of silicone or something around the joint to cut down on the noise. Good luck with it.

Comment

sounds like alot of hassle for abit of bling
          ClubITR- newcastle

Comment

Normal to have the noise coming out of engine bay after u install it. And yes when you unscrew it you can see the rubber inside it.

Comment

Apologies for reviving this old thread but;

Replaced some of the mounts, but still am not happy with the amount of movement I am getting.

Would the Spoon torque damper be an ideal solution to this problem without going to the extreme of solid engine mounts?

From what ive read it seems to cause more bad than good...

Just wanting to clarify.
              "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

how do you know/why do you think your engine is moving too much?

do you drive with the bonnet off?

is it clunking?

you need to fix any existing problems you have before thinking about band-aid solutions like engine torque dampeners....
                ... retired/

Comment

engine torque damper are not as good as solid mounts....because it only anchor down the engine on one side....so the other side still moves "abit"...ideal would be buying 2 of these....and make a custom bracket for the other side

best option would be solid mounts...if you dont mind the vibration

z10 says:
                  i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
                  z10 says:
                  mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

i recently installed the j's racing engine mount on my car, and I think i might be the only person where that loves it.
                    but i don't have it mounted on the strut, it's mounted on the base plate of my J's racing strut bar. There's two models of J's front strut bar, one has a mounting point for the torque damper, and vibration is minimal for me.

i have my ETD mounted like this
                    Last edited by tofu; 19-06-08, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                      how do you know/why do you think your engine is moving too much?

do you drive with the bonnet off?

is it clunking?

you need to fix any existing problems you have before thinking about band-aid solutions like engine torque dampeners....
                      No Clunking. Just on deceleration without brakes, as the revs drops down to about 2000rpm, the engine starts to rock back and forth until its at idle speed. It has decreased since I installed the two new front engine mounts, but its still there.

I know the engine is East/West mounted and I shoud expect some of this.

So maybe im being a bit ciritcal...

Comment

ah my bad, it seems like you're talking about the DC2/B18

Comment

Originally posted by tofu View Post
                          i recently installed the j's racing engine mount on my car, and I think i might be the only person where that loves it.
                          but i don't have it mounted on the strut, it's mounted on the base plate of my J's racing strut bar. There's two models of J's front strut bar, one has a mounting point for the torque damper, and vibration is minimal for me.

i have my ETD mounted like this
                          I have this set-up too & love it.
                          I did break the two of the j's racing bolts (must be to strong lol)

I had the M&M one before

Never heard of them doing damage to stut tower?
                          You do get more cabin noise and steering wheel feel.
                          At least the Etag doesn't come flying of between racing changes anymore

Comment

Originally posted by maracer View Post
                            At least the Etag doesn't come flying of between racing changes anymore
                            Hahahaha - Oh Yeah!!!

Comment

which bolts did you break maracer?

Comment

Working...
                              X