What are Ring Landings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are Ring Landings?

Apparently they get 'chewed up' with high boost from JRSC .. ??

this picture has 3 "ring landings"
    ... retired/

Comment

I have seen the result of ring land failure on V8 chev, very messy extremly expensive to repair. It was caused by to much timing on superchaged engine. Any boosted engine needs timing taken away,compered to n/a. The more the boost/The less the timing. A good tune by a good tuner should not allow this to happen.

Comment

thanks tinkerbell -- sounded like that, but needed clarification. wpg81 - Yeah it seems more on people who don't get proper tune etc.. Why does it eat away the ring landings anyway?? i.e. increased combustion pressure?

Comment

They're damaged by detonation. Detonation is the pre-ignition of the air/fuel mixture and the resulting flame front colliding with normally ignited flame front. Detonation can be caused by too much timing advance and increased combustion pressure and temperature. Poor fuel can also cause detonation. The resulting shock from detonation has detrimental effects on engines such as damaged rings, ring lands, pitted pistons and bearing failure.

Also, keep in mind that timing isn't too retarded as this also has downsides such as sky high EGTs, burnt valves and damaged cats.
          Last edited by WhiteDC2; 16-09-09, 07:58 AM.
          Originally posted by TODA RACING Aust - Adrian
          In your case, clearly you have a combination that is bordering on crap...

Comment

Ok -- So correct me if Ii'm wrong.

I'm assuming those running high boost non cooled are experiencing extreme IAT which means combustion temp is hotter and likely to cause some pre-ignition..

... Generally increased exhaust gas temps come from retarded ignition timing? Or have i got that the wrong way around.. I think my logic is right.

So I guess by reducing the IAT sufficiently at higher boost levels engine wear will be minimised? i.e. Its the delivery of the boost thats causing damage, not necessarily the actual level of boost..? & i.e. therefore i could expect similar levels of wear and tear to lower levels of boost at the same IAT's?

Thanks ..

Comment

Correct on retarded ignition will cause high EGT - I provided that example as a the other side of coin.

High boost will increase intake temps so some form of intercooling may be neccessary depending on the amount of boost you plan to run. Intake temps will get to a point where retarding the ignition is not beneficial and causes EGT to rise.

The static CR of the engine will also affect how much boost can be fed into the engine. Less static CR is more boost friendly, but you have the trade off of less response when off boost.

If the motor is sensibly tuned with conservative boost and ignition timing, then there shouldn't be immediate damage. Of course running a standard motor at a higher power output will shorten the overall life of the engine when compared to a stock engine or a purpose built forged bottom end.
              Last edited by WhiteDC2; 16-09-09, 07:18 PM.
              Originally posted by TODA RACING Aust - Adrian
              In your case, clearly you have a combination that is bordering on crap...

Comment

the jrsc at high boost (race pulley) is good for approx 9 psi, give or take 1 or2 psi. i belive jr make a after cooler (as thay call it) or intercooler to reduce air temps going in to head. i dont know alot about sc's but clubrsx.com has alot of info on sc's.

Comment

The JR 'intercooler' is a water injection system I think, not a core aftercooler like the LHT Performance model (full integration into the manifold)..

Thanks for confirming what I thought -- I nearly confused myself thinking about it too much. Looks like the Charger arrived today

.. And max boost I'm looking to run is 11psi which should be ok with cooling lol... SHOULD be ok ..

Comment

Working...
                  X