DC2 (R) Fuel Pump Limits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC2 (R) Fuel Pump Limits?

Again, i've searched but fuel pump is too common a term..

Trying to find out what HP limitations the stock DC2R Fuel Pump has? I can honestly say I know nothing about them (i.e. intake, external, sard / bosch / walbro etc) ..

I understand there are high pressure / low pressure systems? Or something? lol..

You can see I need help.

upgrade to a walbro 255.

everyone i know who has done this has not had a problem.
    ... retired/

Comment

yeah going to have to (for long run) but was trying to save a couple of hund for the time being if I'm only running 7-9 psi if the stock puimp supported it.. I think its close but I agree with you sort of insurance..

Has anyone else setup a surge tank or seen a good DIY guide? I am assuming we don't have baffled fuel tanks.. ?

Comment

we should have baffled tanks man...not many tanks these days aint

Comment

My experience with most Japanese / Domestic cars is to the contrary - Has anyone had problems with starvation under high extended lateral g corner? I mean, we normally wouldn't be on the track with much less than half a tank, so usually not a concern.. I just don't want to run the risk of leaning out and going boom..

I guess this will sort it: Do the guys with race cars here, Benson etc, use a surge tank?

Comment

Benny has upgraded the pump, no surge. I think Dave has a surge tank set up.

Comment

this is my surge tank setup, it has a walbro inside and gets filled from the OEM fuel pump...

it is custom made from stainless steel and cost $400

(pic is from my old B16A prelude engine bay)
              Attached Files
              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by ewendc2r View Post
                I guess this will sort it: Do the guys with race cars here, Benson etc, use a surge tank?
                no, most racers use half-tank strategy...
                ... retired/

Comment

yeah going to have to (for long run) but was trying to save a couple of hund for the time being if I'm only running 7-9 psi if the stock puimp supported it.. I think its close but I agree with you sort of insurance..
                  With boost a stock pump will support it, BUT not for 'prolonged' time. It will run out of puff.

Saving a couple of hundred $ now may end up costing you a couple of thousand $ down the track.
                  Deano.

Comment

yep -- not what i'm looking to do, i would've only done it if within the specs of the pump. I'll get one shortly.

Also replacing the timing belt, there is a kit with tensioner pulley / spring / belt for $100us so might go down that route, all oem parts..

Hey TB -- Was kinda hoping to do something like that but in-tank.. thanks for the photo, gives me a good idea.

Comment

I don't run a surge tank, just a Walbro - they're under $200. I'm upgrading to Bosch soon as they tolerate E85 better.

If you take the fuel pump cover off you'll get a good view inside the tank and see that there is baffling around the pump pick up. I've never had any fuel surge or pressure issues.
                      Originally posted by TODA RACING Aust - Adrian
                      In your case, clearly you have a combination that is bordering on crap...

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteDC2 View Post
                        If you take the fuel pump cover off you'll get a good view inside the tank and see that there is baffling around the pump pick up. I've never had any fuel surge or pressure issues.
                        ^^^ Exactly.
                        Deano.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteDC2 View Post
                          I don't run a surge tank, just a Walbro - they're under $200. I'm upgrading to Bosch soon as they tolerate E85 better.

Which Bosch pump Troy?
                          BYP Racing & Developments
                          Built. Tuned. Driven
                          Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Thanks for that info -- Exactly what I wanted without having to drop the bloody tank firstly.. So looks like no need for the surge tank (at least for now).

WRT Bosch vs Walbro --- Is the Bosch better than the Walbro or is it a compromise you are making to use e85? Walbro seem to be the mainstream upgrade route..

Hey -- Just realised. Do I have to get my car engineered once I put the SC kit on?

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
                              Which Bosch pump Troy?
                              I'm looking at an 023 in-tank pump (P/N 0580254023). Bosch, like Walbro, don't warrant the pump for use in ethanol based fuels, but it's capable at delivering 168 LPH at 5 Bar. I don't think my walbro is very happy at 90 PSI and I don't want it's performance to degrade or fail altogether on the track.

Thanks for that info -- Exactly what I wanted without having to drop the bloody tank firstly.. So looks like no need for the surge tank (at least for now).

WRT Bosch vs Walbro --- Is the Bosch better than the Walbro or is it a compromise you are making to use e85? Walbro seem to be the mainstream upgrade route..

Hey -- Just realised. Do I have to get my car engineered once I put the SC kit on?
                              Tank access is from within the cabin, under the rear seat.

Bosch are a better pump - they supply more fuel at higher pressures, but do cost more. That said, I' ran my Walbro for a year dong high kilometers on regular petrol and pressure before doing a SS season running E85 @ 90 PSI. It's reasonably priced and a straight swap. Definitely good value.

Most major modifications, like forced induction, require engineering to be totally legal. Check with your state traffic authority as requirements vary.
                              Originally posted by TODA RACING Aust - Adrian
                              In your case, clearly you have a combination that is bordering on crap...

Comment

Working...
                              X