installing guages on the DC5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing guages on the DC5

Hi guys, anyone with a wiring diagram of the dc5 or some insight would great (or where i would be able to get it)

want to install oil pressure, oil temp, and water temp.

i have all the wirings and sender, sandwitch plate ready

cheers boys
    19,000 rpm still going

You can find wiring diagrams for all the interior electrics in the Helms manual. Check out THIS thread.

No idea or advice beyond that. Good luck .

Comment

I fitted a T piece in the thermostat side of the radiator hose for water temp. Don't use the high "radiator out" side. It will give a false low reading.

Oil temp is fitted on the rear of the sandwich plate. Again on the "engine out" side.

Factory oil pressure sensor is just a warning light. It is fitted on the rear of the block on drivers side.

If you're unsure just take the car to a mechanic with all the parts. You can lay the wiring yourself to save money and just get them to hook them up.

Comment

It will depend on which gauge set you choose. I have autometre oil temp and pressure, they only have, park light from dimmer control, earth (body bolt),each oil temp and pressure have one wire that go's to the sender units. some are a little harder and have control unit to run the gauges but are not that different in the wiring

Comment

yea mine are simple gauges similar to what you discribed wpg81.

thanks sam will definitely keep that in mind when i do my install this weekend.

wow good link tom cheers!
          19,000 rpm still going

Comment

I assumed they were Defi but the installation should be the same. Do Autometer now have a control unit or sender? I remember when they used to run oil hoses in the cabin. :s

Comment

Monty, you are right autometer do not have a control units for more than one gauge that i have see. i was thinking ek4r may have defi or similar. yes mine are electronic senders ( the yanks are finally catching the rest of the world lol)

the wire for the senders are a pain for me. had to go to the passenger side to get through the fire wall. then all the way back to the sandwitch plate. so get some twin cored 3 or 4mm cable i think 3 or 4 metres. i have no idea for the water temp,never done it.

Comment

Im pretty sure you need a radiator hose adaptor (T piece). And its wired in as per instructions. Accessories and Ignition wires and one other wire to the sensor.

Does anyone have pics or a DIY install?

Comment

yea i have a T piece for the radiator.

so i should purchase some extra wires just in case huh do i need twin core or just any cable?

what about sealant?
                  19,000 rpm still going

Comment

ill install it for you george

Comment

twin core is just two wires together with extra cover. looks neater and more protection from possible damage (heat,rubbing). thread tape or thead sealant is needed for the sensors, i went through a rubber gromet at the fire wall.

Comment

Working...
                      X