No announcement yet.

Power steering delete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trust me in the first few weeks you will think its cool with no power steering, after that you will just hate to drive the car

just leave it on, put wider front tyres and more positive castor you will get better steering response
    Last edited by Calsonic_R32; 12-07-09, 03:58 PM.
    Honda Integra DC2R natural aspired K20A

2010 CAMS Supersprint (NSW) Type 3B champion |EC: 1:46.9280|WP: 1:07.694|Winton: 1:38.614

Comment

love my p/s such a luxury even in competition on tight autokhanas where you can be smooth and no need to yank wheel around, let alone everyday driving.

but I'll disconnect it soon to save weight and parasitic power loss on my eg b16a to get more competitive, along with other mods. Been told with 3 deg+ neg camber it's very bearable on an eg, mine has dc2r rack and more castor added so it would be heavier still but it's a price I have to pay.
      Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

Been driving the past few weeks without powersteering and it's been great.
        It's a bit annoying when you're standing still but nothing unmanageable, then once you start rolling even a small bit its much easier.

Feedback from the road is VERY good, pretty happy with the decision overall

Comment

great to hear road feel is good.

been told so long as a breather is install to prevent air lock in the system road feel is awesome and doesnt feel stiff and seized and no feel.
          Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

Originally posted by EG30 View Post
            great to hear road feel is good.

been told so long as a breather is install to prevent air lock in the system road feel is awesome and doesnt feel stiff and seized and no feel.
            I searched up alot of opinions and feedback from people who deleted their PS, and to be honest you don't really need a breather.
            So long as the steering rack is filled with fluid and looped properly it's all good

Comment

Been driving without power steering for years
              Felt great apart from parking LOL
              JDMyard Pty Ltd / Hardrace AU
              25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 97572365
              Email : yonas@jdmyard.com

Comment

So you recommend it geeang? I've been thinking about it for a while now.. Definitely pulling the AC out, will look into the power steering as well. I do like the '1 hand' ability of the power steering though -- Is there a faster rack for the DC2R? i.e. can you retain power steering and install a different rack or can you only do that when the powersteering is removed? Has anyone here done it?

Its just a little 'too much' lock - lock for my liking, would love something a little more direct.

Comment

It definately makes a huge difference if you're going for a neat engine bay.

Honestly, it's not so bad once you get rolling. You just need to be rolling 2-3km/h and the steering loosens up, can easily drive one-handed for anything 20km/h+ (which means pretty much any corner for our cars).

It's a bit of a pain when you're completely standing still, but gives you an excuse to hit the gym and get some bigger arms haha

Comment

Originally posted by ewendc2r View Post
                    So you recommend it geeang? I've been thinking about it for a while now.. Definitely pulling the AC out, will look into the power steering as well. I do like the '1 hand' ability of the power steering though -- Is there a faster rack for the DC2R? i.e. can you retain power steering and install a different rack or can you only do that when the powersteering is removed? Has anyone here done it?

Its just a little 'too much' lock - lock for my liking, would love something a little more direct.
                    If you're looking to do this on a DC2R I'd advise driving one without PS first. Geeang is correct in that driving day to day without the PS is fine, but if you're looking to go to the track I would be keeping it. Once you start to load the car up in corners at speed the steering becomes very heavy. It's so heavy that you spend more time concentrating on getting the car turning in than anything else. Quick changes in direction at speed become difficult too and you find that you can't get the car to react quick enough to what's happening.

It's great for a drag or show car but the PS is better on circuit oriented DC2R.
                    Originally posted by TODA RACING Aust - Adrian
                    In your case, clearly you have a combination that is bordering on crap...

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteDC2 View Post
                      If you're looking to do this on a DC2R I'd advise driving one without PS first. Geeang is correct in that driving day to day without the PS is fine, but if you're looking to go to the track I would be keeping it. Once you start to load the car up in corners at speed the steering becomes very heavy. It's so heavy that you spend more time concentrating on getting the car turning in than anything else. Quick changes in direction at speed become difficult too and you find that you can't get the car to react quick enough to what's happening.

It's great for a drag or show car but the PS is better on circuit oriented DC2R.
                      In my experience I feel the steering doesn't become heavy at all like you say, Fast corners, long sweeping corners, they're all fine.

In fact, the new Honda Civic (with PS) actually requires more effort in a long sweeping corner. I'm not sure why, it might have something to do with the steering wanting to return to neutral position, but my arms are much more tired after a long corner in a new Civic than my DC2.
                      Last edited by geeang; 15-08-09, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Doesn't the FN2R have electric assisted P/S? if so, you can hardly compare to a hydraulic system

Comment

A new Honda Civic, just a VTI not an FN2R.
                          Either way, the point I'm mkaing is that a new Civic with power steering in a long sweeping corner tires you more than a DC2 without power steering.

It's not as hard as some people make it out to be, once you get rolling even a tiny bit the steering is completely fine.
                          Last edited by geeang; 15-08-09, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Is it a difficult system to reinstall? I mean, not like its a disaster if you don't like it..

How long did it take you?

Comment

The twins actually did the work for me, but I don't see it being a major difficulty reinstalling it.

Bolt on the pump and mount the reservoir, connect up the hoses as they were, connect the various plugs, stick on the belt and fill it up with PS liquid, all good to go.

Comment

thats what I figured .. And did you weigh the system at all?
                                I came across a page with weights for everything on a dc2r, but i have never found it again.. Was fantastic for planning weight reduction etc

Comment

Working...
                                X