Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing throttle body.. which one?

hello club itr.

gotta change the intake manifold - probably getting skunk2 IM (or recommendations??) so thinking might as well do the throttle body at the same time.

im wondering wat brands or places you could recommend - to get a 65mm throttle body for b18c, changing it from the stock 62mm.

i dont hear it mentioned much, and abit clueless looking for it.
    dont mind ordering from the states if need be. but local prefered of course.

any experiences with the change would be good too..

cheers
    antz

The ITR manifold is essentially a Skunk2 IM .. Why do you have to change it?

I am not sure there is a need to upgrade the Throttle Body as you will likely suffer a mid range hit (larger diameter = lower velocity of air / high volume capability @ given psi)..
    Will get some top-end maybe, but at the cost of area under the curve which affects overall acceleration..

You can also get your throttle body bored out to 65 mm (Machined) probably for cheaper if thats the way you want to go.

Some more input??

Comment

skunk2 is heaps bigger isnt it?
      ... retired/

Comment

skunk2 do a 60,66,68 and 70mm b-series tb so take your pick and there b-series manifold has a 64mm tb opening that can be port matched out to 75mm, i think you'll find it's overall volume is greater than the stock type-r one, through might not be by much
        (and yes i'm a closet skunk2 fan)
        02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

What ECU you using?

Originally posted by ChargeR
          Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Interesting -- From a lot of tests I've read not much flow difference across Skunk2 IM and ITR IM.

Comment

Originally posted by VTECMACHINE View Post
              What ECU you using?
              His got the power fc.
              Like Cars For Hope | www.carsforhope.com.au | www.berty.com.au

Comment

we found a crack in my stock intake manifold. so since we have to replace it now, i was thinking i might as well upgrade it........though it looks like its not really worth it??

the difference in price is a few hundred alone for the IM - from a stock replacement and skunk2 IM, then the throttle body on top - not sure which one to get.. thats why im asking the forum.

im not after bling or nor am i brand biased... more quality + just practical improving the way the engine/car works i guess.

if i dont have to change it, or its not worth the little gain.. then i rather just keep wat i have + replace the IM only... wat you ppl think?

tinkerbell - i think i read you got yours bore'd out? was it difficult to get done?.. any addition needed after to make it all work properly?
                Last edited by antz; 02-07-09, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Personally I'd put the money towards something else, do the throttle body if you want but the IM is very close to the Skunk2 model (flow & design is essentially the same).. Save towards ITB's -- Can pick up some cheapies (basically copy of Toda design too) for under $1k these days.. Even with stock cams the ITB's will still give a reasonable mid range punch.

Can you chemweld the crack for the meantime? just so you can save enough to do it once and do it properly?? (I hate upgrading things more than once, waste of money).
                  Last edited by ewendc2r; 02-07-09, 08:38 AM. Reason: more...

Comment

As far as I knew the Skunk2 was a copy of the Oem. Why can't you weld up your Oem one?
                    Deano.

Comment

antz, u can still use your ITR manifold if you going for 65mm, that's pretty much the max you can bore out a stock ITR Manifold. Just weld it up if its not bad as the other guys said. If you're going any bigger than you need to get a skunk2/edelbrock etc manifold.

Skunk2 manifold is a copy of the ITR manifold with a slightly better flow in the 4th runner and it allows you to bore it out much more so you can use 70mm TB etc.

I would ask brian what size he recommends since he is your tuner.

I'm using a 65mm TB for my setup as I told you at work.

Maybe weld up your ITR Manifold and get it ported instead of getting the skunk2??
                      Last edited by RichyR; 02-07-09, 01:00 PM.
                      CARSFORHOPE

Comment

the crack is pretty big.. goes over about 1 and half runners. so i think better to just replace it?

thanks everyone for your help... definately got me thinking if its worth it or not getting aftermarket parts, in this case i dont think so unless you get a bargain.
                        Last edited by antz; 06-09-10, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Race tape is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                          X