Well bugger me -- M90 SC @ 18psi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well bugger me -- M90 SC @ 18psi?

So I've always loved the roots style of boosting due to retaining the stock characteristic of the motor power delivery (linear) vs the more turbo-type graph that is created through a centrifugal blower. The problem with Roots style blowers is that due to the method of compression (twin screw setup) the IAT reaches extreme temps after you run past the efficiency of the blower (generally around 9psi then temps start to rocket).

A guy in the US over the past year has modified an M90 (larger than the M62 unit used by JRSC) to allow a full intercooler setup (not possible with JRSC) with boost controller and bypass valve. Due to the modifications, he has increase the efficiency of the blower to 15-18psi, with IAT around the 135 degree mark (Farrenheit) -- Acceptable.

Only problem is no PS or AC (Power Steering is the only thing, anyone know of DC2R without power steering and if effective ?)

At this PSI not only is a very strong torque curve apparent from 1800rpm, the B20 also develops 450hp. Now I know there is the age old argument turbo vs supercharger, but I can't get past the loss of response (however little the turbo crew out there claim) of a turbo versus NA versus Supercharged. The throttle response is what makes NA fast (in a nut shell) and on a track application (not drag racing obviously) retaining that throttle response & increasing torque thus power seems to be perfect.

SO -- He has made some cast parts for his kit that will be released soon and MORE THAN THAT ... The price tag is EXCELLENT. I mean, you pick up a M90 secondhand for around $100 - $300. The parts from him are around $1000. Install $1000 (or DIY) .. include tuning etc, there is an excellent supercharged solution without the heavy price tag inherent with most commercially available kits. I'll keep you posted -- Given the high compression of the B18C7 I also understand that it is possible to run approx. 14psi through with *Careful* tuning is possible, producing approx. 350hp from 1.8L. That would be about the perfect figure I think for track application without then fighting the delivery of the power / traction / expensive engine work.

I love people with too much time on their hands, its amazing the things they can come up with (ghetto modifications lol).

The sound from this thing is violent - The purge (from by-pass valve) on a quick on-off throttle application shoots a dart of discharge approx. 4ft long haha! Apparently painful if standing next to it.. I can't wait.

Here is the vid .. What a little monster!

http://s115271005.onlinehome.us/Dart2/MVI_0720.AVI

(And this is only around 10psi I understand).
    Last edited by ewendc2r; 26-06-09, 04:52 PM. Reason: additional info.

Fark that vid took ages to load... Sounds pretty hardcore, lol.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinfox
    You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Looks like a nice setup. Does that $1000 for parts include that exhaust manifold? Do it then post results .

Comment

No .. Just read. Cost in parts is likely $1700usd plus intercooler & header. More likely to be around $3000AUD I think but still, far cheaper than any other SC setup I can find..

Comment

Working...
        X