Battery Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Replacement

Hi, I am looking for replacement batteries for my DC5. At the moment, I have been doing some research on which batteries suit me the best, been looking at the Optima and the Odyssey batteries.

I have no extra audio equipment. Looking for some reliable batteries, preferable light batteries but not essential.

I had a chat with some batteries shop..some said the odyssey batteries are real good because it has got very high CCA (how important is the CCA to the car performance?, he also told me that if i am getting the optima yellow top batteries is too big to fit in DC5 (but looking at the dimension on the spec sheet, i think it should fit). Anyone had their optima yellow top batteries installed on their DC5?

I think I should stay away from the Century batteries which are like the only kind of the car batteries that sold locally. Any advices would be appreciated

I'd go the Odyssey batteries! Smaller, lighter + can put anywhere?
    But i do not have personally tho. still got the OEM one.

What price have you been quoted?

Comment

I got quoted around $340 for the odyssey 925. The optima batteries weighs about 12kg and same as the odyssey 925 batteries too. The question is it really worth the money to buy the odyssey batteries for the extra high cranking current (CCA) since the weight of the odyssey 925 batteries weight about the same as the Century batteries (12kg) which costs only $150.

The shop does not recommended me to get the smaller odyssey 625 batteries as he reckon not enough reserve capacity. what do you think, maracer?

Comment

Hmmmmm,
        I always thought they were lighter?
        I myself must have been looking at the wrong model then, my bad.
        At the end of the day $340 not too cheap

Comment

i have been advised to stay away from odyessy for the price

if i was was going to spend top coin on a battery, id go optima

otherwise im happy with my Exide maintenance free battery for 1/3 of the price

Comment

totti, the price of the optima batteries are about the same price as the odyessy batteries, the yellow top 51 batteries costs about $330. The only thing that I think optima battery is good is that it has higher reserve capacity than a regular battery i think.

Can anyone tell me that if the high cranking current makes much difference to the car performance? I dont run special audio system in my car, would it be better off if i just get some local batteries like the century or the exide batteries?

Comment

Originally posted by endymiony2k View Post
              Can anyone tell me that if the high cranking current makes much difference to the car performance?
              in your case, none whatsoever.

get exide "extra" or "endurance" battery if you want top quality...
              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                in your case, none whatsoever.

get exide "extra" or "endurance" battery if you want top quality...
                Yeah agree with this...
                I'm pretty sure I have a cheap K-Mart battery for about $100, maybe Exide or whatever and its lasted me over I think 2-3 years and maintenance free... no problems so far...
                I have a friend who used to work at Century batteries and he told me they're all the same as Exide or whatever... that Century actually make them or something (don't quote me) but they're just rebranded...

Bottom line... if you're not running extra ICE, don't bother with expensive batteries

Comment

Thanks tinkerbell, thats all I want to know

Comment

reserve capacity is for useing the power from the battery with out recharging it, good for stereo on, car not running ect.
                    cca is rating of power output at -20c for ten seconds cranking with out droping below 9.5 volts, high compession or lots of cylinders high cca, low comp low number of cyinders lower cca needed
                    I have an oddessey battery and catch can that both fit in oem battery space, but dont think the oddessy is all that good. if i dont start the car for two weeks it wont start on the oddessy alone. i have the pc 680, same length ,half width as oem.

Comment

thanks for your info, wpg81. I have replaced mine with Exide X60D maintenance free batteries and so far the batteries start up fine :-)

Comment

I've been meaning to ask this for a while.

What kind of battery "specs" does a DC5R need? I replaced my battery a few years ago, and since then it has always seemed... near flat.
                        For example if the car is idling, then the radiator fan turns on, all the lights dim for a second, then go back to normal. I know this can be normal with some cars, but I can’t remember it being normal before I replaced the battery. Another example is my GF is learning how to drive a manual car in my car (Not the best idea to teach someone how to drive a manual car with a heavy duty clutch and lightweight flywheel)... but whenever the car stalls, she has trouble starting the car again (it wont turn over). So she has to turn the entire car off, wait a few secs then turn it back on and its fine.

The battery still works and everything, (other then an aftermarket head unit and Apexi RSM, but not running anything else) but just checking if this is "normal" with other DC5R owners, or if you guys could give me some numbers so that I could check that my battery is the right power rating for my car.

Thanks

Comment

optima aint the lightest of batterys..there great batteries though untill u let them go flat...

Comment

Originally posted by 45SET View Post
                            I've been meaning to ask this for a while.

What kind of battery "specs" does a DC5R need? I replaced my battery a few years ago, and since then it has always seemed... near flat.
                            For example if the car is idling, then the radiator fan turns on, all the lights dim for a second, then go back to normal. I know this can be normal with some cars, but I can’t remember it being normal before I replaced the battery. Another example is my GF is learning how to drive a manual car in my car (Not the best idea to teach someone how to drive a manual car with a heavy duty clutch and lightweight flywheel)... but whenever the car stalls, she has trouble starting the car again (it wont turn over). So she has to turn the entire car off, wait a few secs then turn it back on and its fine.

The battery still works and everything, (other then an aftermarket head unit and Apexi RSM, but not running anything else) but just checking if this is "normal" with other DC5R owners, or if you guys could give me some numbers so that I could check that my battery is the right power rating for my car.

Thanks
                            i think its 350cca off memory however i have a odyssey thats only rated at 280cca, but it passed a 800cca test at battery world haha had it for 7months so far no hassles watsoeva. also weighs like half as much as oem.

Comment

Originally posted by DC2RKID View Post
                              optima aint the lightest of batterys..there great batteries though untill u let them go flat...
                              was told they were for big stereos and camper trailers

Comment

Working...
                              X