X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HID legality

Hey guys,

What's the legal issues with DIY HIDs?

I vaguely remembering that you used to need head light sprays or something to make them legal.

Thx
    Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #002

EVO IX FOR SALE:
    http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=6115

I don't think it's possible to make aftermarket HID's legal...

But that's correct Gerard...all factory fitted HIDs in Australia are required to heave headlight washers fitted...I have no idea why...
    Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #001

Comment

it's some ADR thing

putting HIDs in projector headlights like the EVO should be ok, won't lead to light spilling everywhere & getting you in trouble

if the cops ask, say your car is JDM spec/imported

Comment

Many beleive that the sprayer was use to keep the temp down but thats not true especially since HID use less electricity then normal hallogen. The purpose of the spray is to clean the lights so the light does not dissipate through the dirty and stay focus.

Its most common these days that factory HID ussually come with projector housing, instead of reflector housing again due to focus. Some cars from factory have reflector housing and also HID but is damn rare (i.e. the JDM DC5 and the difference is their reflector pattern is designed for HID where as AUDM ones are not).

And no matter the K rating of the HID, if it not factory fitted its illegal.

Comment

dispite that..most of us still install them...

Comment

found out - u need headlight washers and auto-levelling devices....

EVO IX FOR SALE:

Comment

both or either one? coz gf's astra have auto-levelling

Comment

The biggest problem is the light scatters everywhere with HID globes in a reflector style headlight designed for halogens. They are just not designed to control the lighting properties of HID.

Yes, there are reflector style headlights with HID's but they have been designed for HID's. Put a halogen in there and you can't see shit.
                happyhong says:
                aus only have 3 r
                happyhong says:
                civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

i realise with projector lights..there is a big problem....even with hids...try driving in the hills at nite ....can't see shxt....u can see a clearly where the projector is shining the light and complete darkness above the light....thats in a s2k....whereas in a dc5....with hids...coz the lights does get reflected EVERYWHERE haha...u can see everything....but i guess on the streets..its really agnoying for other drivers

Comment

Have any of u guys ran into problems with the cops with aftermarket HIDs? would be a pain in the *ss to take them off for an EPA/canary inspection....

Even if you claim your car was an import can you really get away with that - I mean during compliance wont HIDs be taken off if there is no self levelling mechanism or water spray?

EVO IX FOR SALE:

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyR View Post
                      Have any of u guys ran into problems with the cops with aftermarket HIDs? would be a pain in the *ss to take them off for an EPA/canary inspection....

Even if you claim your car was an import can you really get away with that - I mean during compliance wont HIDs be taken off if there is no self levelling mechanism or water spray?
                      Last time a cop asked me during RBT, I told him it was a factory option and he let me go

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyR View Post

yep 34 skylines, if complianced properly will have the hid's replaced with halogens.
                        happyhong says:
                        aus only have 3 r
                        happyhong says:
                        civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Originally posted by RDC-2™ View Post
                          i realise with projector lights..there is a big problem....even with hids...try driving in the hills at nite ....can't see shxt....u can see a clearly where the projector is shining the light and complete darkness above the light....thats in a s2k....whereas in a dc5....with hids...coz the lights does get reflected EVERYWHERE haha...u can see everything.
                          I own an S2K and I can see further than the majority of moving objects on the road including trucks especially on winding roads/hills as per described. No such problems reported here. If anything the S2K has perhaps the most useful lighting and is widely agreed by owners worldwide.

And your D2R HID in a halogen non-HID headlight reflecting light everywhere, that equates to non optimum directional beam output. Scattered light is bad not just for other drivers, but you don't really actually get a proper projection ahead = A bigger safety concern for the driver.

Comment

i understand wot u mean...the dc5 have already adjusted his headlight so there are minimal scatter...it can actually be adjusted better just ppl never do it....so its shinning at everyone's eyes...

so in complete darkness...and only ur headlight on....where the light is not shining..u can clearly see everything else that in the darkness? thats a suprise..wot type of light are u using? coz even my friends dc2 with hids have the same problem...

Comment

The problem you're having is related to D2R/S and projector compliant HIDs. The projectors non-compliant with HIDs have a different lighting output as one that is compliant since it wasn't designed for that purpose.

So what you need to address is, get a D2R type HID fitted onto a non-factory compliant headlight projector or not. You'd find that the lighting output will be more optimal in light dispersion vs. D2S (Project HID compliant only).

Comment

Working...
                              X