Knocking noise after coilovers put in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocking noise after coilovers put in

I just got my Buddyclub N+ Dampers put in today and whilst driving home from Uni just 30 mins ago it was making loud knocking noises from the rear. I thought it was the guard even though it didn't sound like it, so i put some red tape on the guard to see if that was the case. Nope, the tape was as red as it was when i put it there. I'm baffled as to what the sound could be. Or is it just because its new suspension??

Heres a link to an mp3 of the sound i recorded using my phone.

http://rapidshare.com/files/22675161...-0023.mp3.html

Does it happen when you are turning or going over speed humps?

It is common for coilovers to make noises especially when they are first installed. Make sure the height adjustment perch is done up tightly and that everything else is done up correctly. Spray some lubricant on them as well if you want.

Did you DIY and are the coilover new or used?
    Vivid Blue Integra Type-S
    "When I grow up I want camber like TeamMR."
    sigpic
    itr_***@hotmail.com says: (10:43:08 PM)
    send that cock breath back to the land of the stuffed turkeys

Comment

It happens when i go over any sort of bumps, speed bumps, uneven surfaces etc. I got them put it in at a supposedly reputable place in Canberra and they're new, just got them about a week ago.

Did you have a listen to the mp3 i linked?

P.S These noises don't sound normal to me =S
      Last edited by yagami; 29-04-09, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yagami View Post
        It happens when i go over any sort of bumps, speed bumps, uneven surfaces etc. I got them put it in at a supposedly reputable place in Canberra and they're new, just got them about a week ago.

Did you have a listen to the mp3 i linked?

P.S These noises don't sound normal to me =S
        Yeah I did, unfortunately I am using a laptop at the moment and the speakers aren't very good. Besides the noise, does the car feel ok? As i said it is common for coilovers to make noises.

But if your worried best to go back to the place you got them installed and double check everything is done up tight. Better to be safe then sorry hey.
        Vivid Blue Integra Type-S
        "When I grow up I want camber like TeamMR."
        sigpic
        itr_***@hotmail.com says: (10:43:08 PM)
        send that cock breath back to the land of the stuffed turkeys

Comment

As far as i know and from my own experience installing coilovers, There is sometimes a knocking sound. With my mates S15 for example we had a knocking sound. It turned out to be simply because the coils were DIY install and had fucked up settings.
          sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

I don't know about you guys but I hate noises from my suspension and my suspension hardly ever makes noise.

There are two things that I would check that could be causing issues. Check that the rear springs are correctly preloaded. With the car jacked up you shouldn't be able to rattle the springs around. The other thing that is worth checking is that the nut that goes on the damper shaft to hold the top mount on is tight.

Apart from that just check everything for tightness, it definitely doesn't sound normal.

Comment

my front sussy is a bit noisy, especially on a cold morning...but only when turning the wheel. is that weired?
              183.2KW ATW
              BUILT BY DR HONDA
              Tuned by INSIGHT MOTORSPORT

12.44@109.9mph

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                I don't know about you guys but I hate noises from my suspension and my suspension hardly ever makes noise.

There are two things that I would check that could be causing issues. Check that the rear springs are correctly preloaded. With the car jacked up you shouldn't be able to rattle the springs around. The other thing that is worth checking is that the nut that goes on the damper shaft to hold the top mount on is tight.

Apart from that just check everything for tightness, it definitely doesn't sound normal.
                It seems the rear springs are correctly preloaded as per your test. And the nuts on the damper shaft are on pretty tight. All this was tested at the workshop that initially installed the suspension. They came to the conclusion that the shock itself was the source of the problem and recommended that I contact the person whom i bought them off. So yeah, doing that now...

Needless to say i am quite annoyed because they're brand new as far as i know and now i'm probably going to have to fork out more coin to get them taken out, sent back and get new ones put in

Comment

All this was tested at the workshop that initially installed the suspension. They came to the conclusion that the shock itself was the source of the problem
                  hmmm, for so many reasons it could be the dodgy workshop, (either they did bad install and broke something, or simply didn't know how to do it properly - just because they a re a workshop does not automagically mean they know what they are supposed to do with aftermarket parts installations. )

and for on a very small amount of reasons it could be the (brand new) shock absorber.

is there any reason why YOU cant have a look yourself?

jack car up, take wheel off, use a torch and have a look around, have a bit of a shake of the bits, look closely at the bolts...

check everything... it is not hard.

i know that if THOSE noises were coming from my car, i would get under it and have a look!!!!!
                  ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by 03DC5R View Post
                    my front sussy is a bit noisy, especially on a cold morning...but only when turning the wheel. is that weired?
                    yep. that is weird.
                    ... retired/

Comment

I just had a look myself and everything seems to be a tight fit. The spring has a bit of play in it, is that normal? (Even though the guy at the workshop said the opposite :S) I had another guy look at it (Martin Notaras, if anyone knows him from the evo forums) and he said everything looks fine. But it still makes clunk/knocking noises

Edit: I spoke with the bloke i bought the coilovers off and he told either they're not on properly or the shocks are faulty.

I'm confused. However i don't think they should be making these noises?
                      Last edited by yagami; 29-04-09, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Ok, i jacked the car up again, and i'm pretty sure the cause of the noise is due to the rear springs not being pre-loaded correctly? (i can rattle them when i jack the car up) So i'm guessing that because of this, when i go over bumps etc. the shock expands thus creating room for the springs to move around in, similar to when the car is jacked up.

Soooo...how do i make it so the springs are a tighter fit???

Edit: I tested this theory by checking if the front springs were movable while the car was jacked up, and they're not. The reason i done this was cause there's no noise coming from the front, so if the front springs were loose and there was still noise coming from the rear coils then, with this theory, the rear coils were shot. But, that's not the case.
                        Last edited by yagami; 30-04-09, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Take the wheel off, hold the spring up so its in contact with the top perch. Now with the perch just below the spring, wind it so it goes up until it contacts the bottom of the spring. Don't wind it up any further or else you will be messing with the preload.

Now take it for a road test and see how it goes.

Comment

Ok, i jacked the car up again, and i'm pretty sure the cause of the noise is due to the rear springs not being pre-loaded correctly? (i can rattle them when i jack the car up) So i'm guessing that because of this, when i go over bumps etc. the shock expands thus creating room for the springs to move around in, similar to when the car is jacked up.

Soooo...how do i make it so the springs are a tighter fit???

Edit: I tested this theory by checking if the front springs were movable while the car was jacked up, and they're not. The reason i done this was cause there's no noise coming from the front, so if the front springs were loose and there was still noise coming from the rear coils then, with this theory, the rear coils were shot. But, that's not the case.
                            well done!

see it is not that hard, but it seems to be impossible for workshops who demand your hared earned money for their time!

"oh, we put them in fine - they must be broken"

so as long as you have the 'c-spanners' then winding up the spring seat and bottom lock nut up to "capture" the spring properly is a cinch...

you loosen the bottom of the two locking nuts directly below the spring, by turning it right to left

then turn the top spring seat from left to right so it goes up... once it contacts fully with teh spring, keep[ winding a little bit, so it takes up some slack, but is not actually compressing the spring very far...

then tighten the bottom lock nut from left to right so it contacts with the top spring seat and you should be done,

take for a drive, then re-assess the noise... if there is still any noises, repeat and add slightly more preload...
                            ... retired/

Comment

By doing this, will this lower my ride height?

Comment

Working...
                              X