This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etherealfall View Post
    Hau im running 17x9 + 38 at the front on 235/45/17 tyres with no problems. With two finger gap though

I'll post up a pic when i get home

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

EDIT:

Camber for the front is 2.5 i believe. I can only show you one wheel cause the rest are still in almighty grey
    Ah thanks for that etherealfall
    sigpic

Comment

My wheels currently have 205/40/17 and my speedo is off. But luckily the speedo is about 5-8km faster than my actual speed. So i was wondering if i could run 225/45/17
      sigpic

Comment

That's more of a normal tyre size, so should be closer to the actual reading. Use a Tyre Calc to confirm.

Comment

I checked 215/45/17 and 225/45/17 there isnt much difference but the 225/45/17 are much closer to the stock then the 215/45/17. But on the tyre calculator i compared it to my stock. And say my speedo reads 100km/hr on my stock wheels, on the 215/45 im doing about 98.94km/hr where as the 225/45 it is about 100.38. Which one am i better off running?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hau View Post
            I checked 215/45/17 and 225/45/17 there isnt much difference but the 225/45/17 are much closer to the stock then the 215/45/17. But on the tyre calculator i compared it to my stock. And say my speedo reads 100km/hr on my stock wheels, on the 215/45 im doing about 98.94km/hr where as the 225/45 it is about 100.38. Which one am i better off running?
            What size wheel? I'd go for the 215/45 unless you have an 8" or wider wheel.

Comment

17x7.5 +40
              sigpic

Comment

Hi guys, i have owned my DC5S for about 6 months now, have just been enjoying it stock and i'm starting to collect a few parts for it at the moment. Have read through a lot of this thread and i think i've come to a conclusion for my wheels. I'm looking at some Weds Sport TC105N wheels in 17x9+25 all round.

From looking through this thread a 235/40 tyre would fit with guards rolled and 3 degrees camber at the rear and 4 at the front? is there a better tyre size i can use? I don't want too much stretch if any, and i would preffer the side walls to feel quite stiff, i just dont want them to feel sloppy like my stock tyres. Obviously this will vary between different types of tyres but i will be looking at a UHP street/semi slick tyre to give you a rough idea. I want the car to look good but i want it too handle well too.

I don't expect to slam the car, probably more like a 1-1.5 finger gap or similar. I will be using coilovers with 12K spring rates front and rear, front with have camber plates and rear will have camber bolts.

Also after reading this thread it seems that some people consider a x9 wheel a decrease in performance over a x8. My car is a daily and if i tracked the car i would probably use a different set of wheels however i do go for the occasional spirited drive through some hills near my house, i always thought a slightly wider wheel increased wheel track and also the amount of tyre in contact with the road so it would improve performance?

I just want to clarify this, so i don't buy these wheels/tyres and end up unhappy with them.

Cheers

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Oz Striker View Post
                  Hi guys, i have owned my DC5S for about 6 months now, have just been enjoying it stock and i'm starting to collect a few parts for it at the moment. Have read through a lot of this thread and i think i've come to a conclusion for my wheels. I'm looking at some Weds Sport TC105N wheels in 17x9+25 all round.

From looking through this thread a 235/40 tyre would fit with guards rolled and 3 degrees camber at the rear and 4 at the front? is there a better tyre size i can use? I don't want too much stretch if any, and i would preffer the side walls to feel quite stiff, i just dont want them to feel sloppy like my stock tyres. Obviously this will vary between different types of tyres but i will be looking at a UHP street/semi slick tyre to give you a rough idea. I want the car to look good but i want it too handle well too.

I don't expect to slam the car, probably more like a 1-1.5 finger gap or similar. I will be using coilovers with 12K spring rates front and rear, front with have camber plates and rear will have camber bolts.

Also after reading this thread it seems that some people consider a x9 wheel a decrease in performance over a x8. My car is a daily and if i tracked the car i would probably use a different set of wheels however i do go for the occasional spirited drive through some hills near my house, i always thought a slightly wider wheel increased wheel track and also the amount of tyre in contact with the road so it would improve performance?

I just want to clarify this, so i don't buy these wheels/tyres and end up unhappy with them.
                  Seems like you have done your research and you are definitely on the right track, the wheel and tyre size you suggest is a great choice for a balance of looks and performance. You may not need as much camber as you think, but that will be very ride height dependent.

In regards to performance, given the same tyre type/compound the increase in lateral grip from a 235 tyre on a 9" wide wheel will be noticeable compared to stock. It will probably be more responsive on turn in and direction changes as well. The only negative is that you may experience more tramlining and kickback in the steering. Why not fit them with some good high performance street tyres and then if you decide to hit the track you can just use the same wheels?

You could go for a 245/40 but that will be slightly tougher to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                    Seems like you have done your research and you are definitely on the right track, the wheel and tyre size you suggest is a great choice for a balance of looks and performance. You may not need as much camber as you think, but that will be very ride height dependent.

In regards to performance, given the same tyre type/compound the increase in lateral grip from a 235 tyre on a 9" wide wheel will be noticeable compared to stock. It will probably be more responsive on turn in and direction changes as well. The only negative is that you may experience more tramlining and kickback in the steering. Why not fit them with some good high performance street tyres and then if you decide to hit the track you can just use the same wheels?

You could go for a 245/40 but that will be slightly tougher to fit.
                    Thanks ChargeR, very helpful. A quick google search revealed to me what tramlining means, and apparently it can also be affected by the design of the grooves in the tyre. When you refer to "kick back" is that another name for bump steer? I think that's a good option, I've been looking at z1 Star specs as I've seen a few people using those on the street and then at the track as well and they seem to perform well. I have also been looking at the Federal 595RSR as they seem quite good value. If you have a recommendation on tyres that would be helpful as there are way too many to choose from lol and it seems like a lot of the reviews online have been "funded" by the manufacturer of the tyre, if you get my drift lol

Comment

Good research Ryan (As stated by ChargeR).

Also good choice on rims, and sizes.

As for tyres, I'm using the Z1 Starspecs on my Integra, and rate them highly! I have used KU36's in the past, and there is day and light between the two... and I liked the KU36's. I've also heard good things about the 595RSR's, but haven't done much research into them, as I'll probably run the Z1's again.

I have run 17x8 +35, and 17x9 +22 (Current rims). I would say that the performance with the 9's is better then the 8's. I ran the same sized tyre with both (225/45). Stance is also much better. Only problem you might get is that with the rims having slight poke in the front, it might look a little weird with having so much of a gap. But this is a personal preference.

I did run 17x9.5 +35 with a 245/40 for a little while (Front only). I can't really comment on them to much, as I had to run minimal camber up front due to the offset and being too close to the struts.

Look forward to seeing the finish product.

Comment

Originally posted by 45SET View Post
                        Good research Ryan (As stated by ChargeR).

Also good choice on rims, and sizes.

As for tyres, I'm using the Z1 Starspecs on my Integra, and rate them highly! I have used KU36's in the past, and there is day and light between the two... and I liked the KU36's. I've also heard good things about the 595RSR's, but haven't done much research into them, as I'll probably run the Z1's again.

I have run 17x8 +35, and 17x9 +22 (Current rims). I would say that the performance with the 9's is better then the 8's. I ran the same sized tyre with both (225/45). Stance is also much better. Only problem you might get is that with the rims having slight poke in the front, it might look a little weird with having so much of a gap. But this is a personal preference.

I did run 17x9.5 +35 with a 245/40 for a little while (Front only). I can't really comment on them to much, as I had to run minimal camber up front due to the offset and being too close to the struts.

Look forward to seeing the finish product.
                        Cheers for some more helpful info 45SET, looks like the star specs are the way to go then. I think you mean "day and night" dont you? :P Having a little trouble sourcing the wheels ATM, hopefully I can find someone that has a set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Oz Striker View Post
                          Cheers for some more helpful info 45SET, looks like the star specs are the way to go then. I think you mean "day and night" dont you? :P Having a little trouble sourcing the wheels ATM, hopefully I can find someone that has a set
                          Day and light... nigth and day... same thing

As for sourcing the rims, have a talk to Jesse Streeter (You should be able to google it, other wise I'll PM you his email address when I get home).

He is an Australian based in Japan that can assist with getting parts sent over from Japan. I got my TE37's through him, and I know a few others have got parts through him.

Comment

I also have Z1 starspecs, probably one of the best tyres I've ever run. I can WOT and not lose any traction, don't know about launching though.. as I never launch my car.

Only downside is that they're slightly noisy, but if you have engine mounts you will barely hear the noise. Highly recommend these tyres!

Comment

Originally posted by 45SET View Post
                              Day and light... nigth and day... same thing

As for sourcing the rims, have a talk to Jesse Streeter (You should be able to google it, other wise I'll PM you his email address when I get home).

He is an Australian based in Japan that can assist with getting parts sent over from Japan. I got my TE37's through him, and I know a few others have got parts through him.
                              Sounds good, thanks for the tip man, i have found his website so i'll shoot through an email to him now

Originally posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
                              I also have Z1 starspecs, probably one of the best tyres I've ever run. I can WOT and not lose any traction, don't know about launching though.. as I never launch my car.

Only downside is that they're slightly noisy, but if you have engine mounts you will barely hear the noise. Highly recommend these tyres!
                              I'm trying to decide on mounts atm so as you say it wont be much of an issue once i get those in

Comment

Engine mounts are a must have upgrade for DC5's IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X