• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting breather tank to NA b series

Hi,
    looking at fitting a breather tank to my hi powered NA b18c
    i'm looking at puttin one of the kits that go into the back of the block
    i will be removing the black ventilation box and blocking the ventilation hole
    just a few questions,
    Should i allow it to drain back to the block, or just have it to manualy drain it?
    Should i still run the PCV? and if so where do i put it?
    What do i do with the hole in the block that also vents back into the the blck box?
    Also should i run a 2nd catch can and drill holes into the valve cover or is that to much for my engine?

any help appreciated

I removed the black box and plugged the hole.

I run the block breather to the base of the catch can so oil can drain back under vacuum. I also run 2 lines from the valve cover to the can.

PCV valve is gone, can vents to atmosphere.
    Originally posted by TODA RACING Aust - Adrian
    In your case, clearly you have a combination that is bordering on crap...

Comment

so you didnt use the 2 plug holes at the rear? did you use any special sought of catch can?

Comment

catch can was made by a mate, it's nothing special. here's a pic of the back of the block which should explain better.

Last edited by WhiteDC2; 03-04-09, 09:44 PM.

Comment

pic doesnt work

Comment

working now?

Comment

yeah workin makes it alot clearer ppl are telling me to use a baffled catch can do you think there would be benifit cause it would be easier for me to get 1 made up

Comment

if you're getting one made, a baffle will help separate the oil from the air as a fair bit of oil moves around from the block breathers. I'm using fuel foam inside the catch can which seems to be doing the job. No oil makes it out of the catch can filter.

Comment

where did u get the fuel foam from?

Comment

you can get it from Revolution Racegear or other performance oriented shops. it's inexpensive for the amount you need.

Comment

i run a single -12AN line on the front of the rocker cover, to a catch tank that is plumbed back into the block (as in pic above LHS hole).

i also run the PCV line with PCV valve on the public road,

at the track i just remove the fitting from the top of the tank that makes a 50mm hole that vents to atmo...

... retired/

Comment

a hose coming off my black box is going to where the arrow is pointing to do i just block it off????
                        Attached Files

Comment

you can re-use it by sending another line to the catch can from there, but it is tiny - so not really worth the hosing & clamps... so just close it off.

run a large hose from the rocker cover (behind an OEM baffle - i.e. the centre of the front) and a hose from one (or both) of the rear plugs... to the catch-can (baffled preferable) and vent the can to atmo if on the track and go to extra trouble by installing a PCV valve for the public roads...

also enlarging the breather inlet (where it comes in from the air intake) will benefit the whole systems breathing ability...
                          ... retired/

Comment

for the catch can with the fittings goin to the block should they be towards the bottom of the can and have the ones coming from the rocker cover towards the top???

Comment

Yep, you'll have the most oil coming from block and it will drain back under vacuum.

Comment

Working...
                              X