Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyre Pressures for DC2R

Hi Guys

Just want to know what tyre pressures you guys are running on your DC2R. I am getting different answers. My car is running OEM sized tyres (Michellan Pilot Precedas) and was told by some to have it running at 40PSI. However when I had my coilovers installed and had the wheels aligned, the suspension place told me that I should be running it lower at 32-33PSI.

So I'm kinda confused on what tyre pressure I should be running for street and for track.

Also for Semi's what tyres pressures are you guys running for street and track?

Thanks
    Daniel

For the street I would be starting at the manufacturer recommended pressures and adjusting them to your preference. They will most likely be too low for handling response but will be a nice compromise unless you like racing on the streets.

For track I aim for around 34psi HOT at all four corners measured straight after I come off the track, this is in a DC5 though. As far as I know for a car like a DC2 or DC5 the low 30s hot are a good place to start with many semis.

Comment

i run 34 for the street tyres, 40 way too high for crap roads we drive on , for track semis 32 to 34 hot like charger says straight after you come off very important i run std size 195 55 15 direzzas car seems to slide more if i run higher pressure which can be fun in my dc2r!

Comment

Originally posted by apparition View Post
        So I'm kinda confused on what tyre pressure I should be running for street and for track.
        34psi COLD for street tyres for street.

40psi COLD for street tyres for track.

Also for Semi's what tyres pressures are you guys running for street and track?
        33-35psi when measured HOT (depends on brand of tyre)
        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post

40psi COLD for street tyres for track.
          Whoa, 40psi cold for a street tyre when on the track...! Surely you mean 40psi HOT for a street tyre on the track...?

In the previous street tyres that I've used, I've usually gone about 38-40degrees hot, which is usually around 30psi cold.
          Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
            Whoa, 40psi cold for a street tyre when on the track...! Surely you mean 40psi HOT for a street tyre on the track...?

In the previous street tyres that I've used, I've usually gone about 38-40degrees hot, which is usually around 30psi cold.
            hmmm, no, i mean 40psi COLD for 195/55's on the track.

then work down from there...

BTW - if you are getting normal street tyres (like the pilot precedas) to fluctuate by 7-10PSI on the track - then you are might need to consider whether you are overdriving them?
            ... retired/

Comment

FYI - this is what Ian Luff says for a simple defensive driving course, not a track event:

Air pressures are critical - you must adhere to our recommendations and not car manufacturers suggestions. Tyre pressures (when cold) should be set at 36psi (front) and 34psi (rear) minimum. Rear engine vehicles should reverse this. 4WD offroad vehicles, 40psi (front) and 35psi (rear).
              ... retired/

Comment

Wouldn't adding more pressure then manufacturer suggest, create a bulge in the middle causing more wear in the middle of the tire?

Manufacturer of Type S is 32PSI, Harry's advised to run 38PSI.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zakarados View Post
                  Wouldn't adding more pressure then manufacturer suggest, create a bulge in the middle causing more wear in the middle of the tire?

Manufacturer of Type S is 32PSI, Harry's advised to run 38PSI.
                  The tyre would have to be significantly overinflated... I have never seen more wear in the centre of the tyre than on the edges, and I generally run higher than standard pressures. I prefer communicative feel than ultimate grip generally - I hate the "squishy" feeling of the standard pressures.
                  | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Personal preference really..

I run 40psi on the street. I like the extra communication and response it offers..
                    David

'00 DC2 Integra TypeR SOLD
                    '78 SB2 Civic "Hondamatic"
                    '07 GD3 Jazz

Comment

( before i get flamed, i am a noob and am here to learn, please be kind )

but, ^^ wouldnt having a higher psi mean less communication" to the road, giving less traction?

and how would you determine weather the tyre is/or has gone from cold to hot already?
                      also lastly, would i be able to get a definition for measuring the psi straight after getting off the track?

Comment

No one is here to flame.

Less pressure causes the tyre to be more soft. More tyre wall movement. Tyre moves 'more' under the wheel and less accurate feeling.

More pressure causes the tyre to be more hard. Less tyre wall movement. Tyre moves 'less' under the wheel, hence more accurate feeling.
                        Deano.

Comment

^^ thanks for that DLO01,

i thought just incase, because everyone knew what was talking about, but i so lost.
                          i get what you mean now about the higher tyre pressure now, thanks

i think it was because some people told me the lower the pressure, the more it sticks to the ground, but im not too sure what application that was for
                          or if they even knew what they were talking about lol

thnks agen

Comment

in regards to over inflating, it does happen. On my previous set of continental tyres i would set the pressure to 39-40deg cold for street, might feel nice but when i changed the tyres over, i noticed that there was uneven tyre wear and the middle was almost completely bald.

I run what the manufacturer states on the panel inside the door. For my car it is 230ps fronts (33psi roughly) and 220ps rear (32psi roughly). This has indeed given my car almost perfect tyre wear and to me, does not compromise my handling. I used the same combination on the track with my street tyres and they did VERY well considering they are Hankook (k105) and not the expensive bridgestones or dunlops.

It may be a little different on the DC2R (mine is a dc5r), but dont think that high tyre pressure wont adversely affect tyrewear.

Also lower tyre pressure does make it "stick to the ground" more as there is a bigger footprint, making you have more grip.
                            Last edited by Didz; 12-02-09, 07:38 AM.
                            sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Didz View Post
                              On my previous set of continental tyres i would set the pressure to 39-40deg cold for street, might feel nice but when i changed the tyres over, i noticed that there was uneven tyre wear and the middle was almost completely bald.
                              no one here is suggesting that that sort of uneven wear wouldnt happen.

but no one here is suggestign that you should run 40psi ON THE STREET for the life of the tyre!!!

It may be a little different on the DC2R (mine is a dc5r), but dont think that high tyre pressure wont adversely affect tyrewear.
                              we are discussing TRACK pressures for STREET tyres when mentioning 40psi. maybve 100-200km worth of driving.

the 40psi TRACK pressure will actually protect STREET tyres (and expensive RIMS) from damage as a too soft inflation will lead to the tyre leaning over on corners and the sidewall can be damaged - leading to BLOW-OUTS either at the track or on the way home or a month later on the freeway at 110km/h...

Also lower tyre pressure does make it "stick to the ground" more as there is a bigger footprint, making you have more grip.
                              yes, this is certainly the case - in a STRAIGHT line...

i ran my front tyres at 20psi when i came 2nd at drag combat at WSID... (back tyres were at 55psi, lol!)

but once you start turning corners - you want a stiff sidewall that doesnt flop around... hence 40psi is a good place to start...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X