Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rattling noise when idling

hey guys

Just recently my car has been making a rattling noise when the baby is warmed up and at idle. I think it might be my rear mount but I have hasport mounts in last couple of weeks...

Where is the rattling coming from roughly?

Could be something becoming loose due to the stiffer mounts.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

Its around the rear mounts being loose but would there be anything around there that would make that rattling sound?

Comment

start the car and check whilst its doing it - if you suspect the mount bolts, inspect and tighten accordingly.
        "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

Stiffer mounts often resonate differently. It's an unfortunate side effect but often can't be prevented. I would do a quick check but not follow the rattle too closely until the milounts have worn in. Any attempt to rectify now may mean double handling as the mounts settle further. Just make sure it's OK to drive and get some miles on it.

Comment

Originally posted by vtec_yo View Post
            hey guys

Just recently my car has been making a rattling noise when the baby is warmed up and at idle. I think it might be my rear mount but I have hasport mounts in last couple of weeks...
            i'd do a spanner check on the bolts...

just like l3vnd1 suggested...

it is hard to get correct torque on the rear mount bolt, if you had a workshop do it - they have probably been lazy or uncareful...

otherwise, like m0nty suggested - it might just be the extra stiffness making the brakelines (or something) rattle?
            ... retired/

Comment

mate Hasports will make everything rattle... check the mounts themselves, other than that, just wait till the rest of the rattles kick in...

Comment

if you have different headers you might want to check that bracket that holds it behind the oil pan. maybe heat shield under your car hitting your exhaust piping. if you have time just put it on jack stands and then start it up and look under the car.
                "Death before dishonor!"

TheTeamIkon.com

Comment

it cood b ur cat, the inside mesh stuff. mine did that wen idling then wen away once warmed up.

Comment

Originally posted by BOX View Post
                    it cood b ur cat, the inside mesh stuff. mine did that wen idling then wen away once warmed up.
                    The inside of a catalytic converter shouldn't be loose. It would've just been a heatshield rattling. The inside is a soilid honeycomb type construction.

Comment

Finally got it fixed!

It was the rear mount need to be tighten with the right amount of torque

Comment

good to hear
                        ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                        X