X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help: Wheels for EP3 w/ Spoon Caliper

Hi Guys,

Just wandering if you can give a comment which wheel spec that would be
    most suitable for my Type-R EP3 to clear my Spoon caliper.

The original wheel spec on my EP3 is 17x7 +45. And currently I'm using
    H&R 5mm wheel spacer to clear the Spoon caliper.

There are 3 options of wheel that I like:
    1. TE37 = 17x7.5 +40
    2. P1 QF = 17x8 +35
    3. CE28N = 17x7.5 +33

I have checked these specs against my original Type-R wheel at
    http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

According to the calculator, the 1st and 2nd options give me inner clearance
    1mm LESS and 3mm LESS respectively. The only option that gives me inner clearance 6mm MORE is the CE28N spec.

Isn't it wheel width is irrelevant to clear my Spoon caliper as long as the offset is less than the original +45 offset ?

Or the Wheel Offset Calculator is right which means, CE28N is the only option that can clear my Spoon caliper?

Hope to hear your comments. Thank you!

That wheel calculator you have used only refers to how much clearance you have at the inner lip of the wheel due to the width and offset so it only affects whether the wheel will not rub the strut or the inner fender and bears no relation to the amount of brake clearance you would have.

The spoke design and offset is what will affect brake clearance and the wheel offset calculator gives you no information regarding that. You are correct in saying that the CE28N will probably have the best chance of fitting.

Since your brake/hub setup is identical to an AUDM DC5 if you can find anyone running spoon calipers on an AUDM DC5 with those wheel specs then that will tell you if they will clear.

EDIT: I can tell you that a 17x9.5 +15 SSR Type C will clear the caliper by miles .

EDIT 2: A 17x7.5 +30 TE37 will fit as this is what noodleman ran as far as I know .
    Last edited by ChargeR; 19-11-08, 03:42 PM.

Comment

p1 qf will clear too

Comment

All of those wheels you listed will clear the Spoon monoblock calipers.
        www.evogarage.com

Comment

Thanks guys, thanks for the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
            That wheel calculator you have used only refers to how much clearance you have at the inner lip of the wheel due to the width and offset so it only affects whether the wheel will not rub the strut or the inner fender and bears no relation to the amount of brake clearance you would have.

The spoke design and offset is what will affect brake clearance and the wheel offset calculator gives you no information regarding that. You are correct in saying that the CE28N will probably have the best chance of fitting.

Since your brake/hub setup is identical to an AUDM DC5 if you can find anyone running spoon calipers on an AUDM DC5 with those wheel specs then that will tell you if they will clear.

EDIT: I can tell you that a 17x9.5 +15 SSR Type C will clear the caliper by miles .

EDIT 2: A 17x7.5 +30 TE37 will fit as this is what noodleman ran as far as I know .
            yep thats what i had

also i tried ce28 +43 offset which will also clear

z10 says:
            i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
            z10 says:
            mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

I decided to go with the P1 QF. Thanks for your advice guys.

Now I have a question regarding hubcentric rings. For the people who change to
              aftermarket wheels eg. Volk, Buddyclub, etc. do you use hub rings? I'm planning
              to go to the track and is it critical to use hub rings for track use?

If yes, what size hub rings for Civic Type-R EP3?

Thanks.

Comment

No-one I know that tracks with aftermarket wheels uses hub rings, however they are definitely a good idea. Be sure to get some that are not going to melt on track from the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by hsofian View Post
                  I decided to go with the P1 QF. Thanks for your advice guys.

Now I have a question regarding hubcentric rings. For the people who change to
                  aftermarket wheels eg. Volk, Buddyclub, etc. do you use hub rings? I'm planning
                  to go to the track and is it critical to use hub rings for track use?

If yes, what size hub rings for Civic Type-R EP3?

Thanks.
                  henry

hubrings are essential to be used with aftermarket wheel. it is for safety reason.

you need to check what Buddyclub rims use. each manufacturer might have their own standard size. so check with buddyclub if they sold hubrings as an option.
                  Last edited by JDM Concept; 25-11-08, 12:28 PM.

JDM Concept Pty Ltd (ABN 43 120 929 713)

Westpac Bank of Australia
                  A/C Name: JDM Concept
                  A/C BSB: 032157
                  A/C NO: 199691

sales[at]jdmconcept.com.au

Comment

Working...
                  X