Losing revs (DC2R)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing revs (DC2R)

Ok this is a problem i've been having since i bought the car however when i got it checked by Hanny's Peter still can't seem to solve it, he made it better than it was.. but it's still there.

What happens is when i first start the car after it's been left for hrs and hrs i'll go about 5-6meters down the road.. then all of a sudden i'll lose power (before my revs dropped below 1) and during this time i can't gas it more as it wont do much, when it's ready the gas will automatically kick in and there'll be a violent jerk and everything is good.

I do know Peter did something with the IDLE control when i had my 75k service and it seemed to fix it for a while then 2 weeks later it would do it.. but revs would drop about half as much. and i just had my 80k service done last week and he said to let me drive it out with the new fuel filter but yeh.. now the revs just drop a tiny bit.. barely noticeable but you can feel the car just dragging on for a while then it's okay again (you still get a bit of a jerk..).
    It's very annoying and i also want to know if this is bad for any part of the car..

side note: car runs just fine.. it's just the inital 30secs of driving that's a problem.

Thanks!

Is it like the car is stuttering while revving.
    It might be the spark plug leads. When the car is cold spark might be escaping from one of the leads which would cause your car to not fire in 1 or more cylinders.

When your car is dead cold start it up when its dark and have your engine bay open. Get someone to watch the spark plug leads area and if they see any sparks escaping then you need new leads.

Or...You might have some water in one of the spark plugs my friend had this problem once, as soon as he got the water out car ran like a dream again.

Comment

Originally posted by fezp View Post
      side note: car runs just fine.. it's just the inital 30secs of driving that's a problem.

Thanks!
      wait 60 seconds, then drive...

my car is a bit sensitive in the first 20 to 40 seconds too...

but this is due perhaps to race sparkplugs, oil cooler, cams and cam gears and bored TB... it just needs a bit to stabilise, get soem heat into teh plugs and get oil pressure up, then it is OK...

i have to 'blip' the throttle a few times before it is ready to get some clutch action... otherwise it will stall...

but if your s is stock, you have something that is fouling up, most likely the sparkplugs?

or like macoman says- you sparkplug leads maybe?
      Last edited by tinkerbell; 13-10-08, 08:55 AM.
      ... retired/

Comment

My DC2R has had this issue as far back as I remember. It only seems to happen if the car has been driven and left for a couple of hours, then restarted and driven again.

When I can feel the problem occuring I just close the throttle, then open it again slowly and it's fine. My mate's DC2R does it also... I'm thinking it's some sort of fuel issue, perhaps some sort of vapor lock or something, not quite sure, but it's almost certainly not ignition related because the problem is still the same with new plugs etc.
        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

I actually think this issue is a main relay problem ?

Or could be a ground wire that is slowly coming loose.

id check the grounds first.
          Last edited by kavehman; 13-10-08, 10:25 AM.
          /Oo ___H___ oO\
          |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

even if i leave the car running and not drive it for 60 secs as soon as i do drive it it'll happen. the only thing i've noticed is that if i leave the car running for about an average of 3 minutes then the ??autochoke?? or something kicks in.. (where the revs slowly start to drop then go back up on their own while the car is just sitting there) after that it's fine? Never happens after i've waited long enough for the car to do its rev dropping thing..?

Also doesn't seem like it's stuttering.. just seems like it's about to stall??
            Last edited by fezp; 13-10-08, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kavehman View Post
              I actually think this issue is a main relay problem ?

Or could be a ground wire that is slowly coming loose.

id check the grounds first.
              If it were a main relay problem mine would have died ages ago.

There aren't any grounding problems on my car, or my mates car with the same problem.

If it were a grounding problem I highly doubt the car would have just one stutter after driving off, then happily run without fault after that.

Really though... is it such a big problem after all?
              | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
                Really though... is it such a big problem after all?
                That's what i'd like to know. Also i dont know anyone else who has this problem so i am just curious as to why it's happening to my car.
                And it's very annoying esp when i have other ppl in the car with me. They ask why it happens and i have no answer?
                Probably wouldn't matter as much if i wasn't driving everyday..
                Last edited by fezp; 13-10-08, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread.
                  But my car always did this as well.
                  But it also happens on cold startup rather than starting the car after its been driven lately.

I used to have stock ecu and it wouldnt thrown an engine light.....but now ive put a hondata s300 in with a different tune and whenever it happens it throws an engine light but then dissappears once the stutter is done.

Do you think its doing any damage?

Comment

Could be the ECU coolant temp sensor our of range...
                    Check the plug, then probe the sensor & check the value.
                    It's not unusual for this to fail or partially fail so it's dodgy when its not at operating temp.

Located below dissy, toward the front of the head.
                    Sensor is 2 wire,
                    The temp sensor for dash is single wire.
                    Hope that helps.
                    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
                    TODA Racing - TODA Power - FIGHTEX
                    Official Australian Distributors
                    Engine Building / Dyno tuning / Licenced Mechanical Workshop

Email: toda@todaracing.com.au

M-Factory - HALTECH - Hondata - EXEDY - WORK - Supertech - Crower

Comment

I had this problem on my DC2R... it was my O2 sensor. Replaced that and it was better. Gave it more fuel with slightly larger injectors, and problem was solved.

Then same problem happened on my Dad's Accord, and the IACV was cleaned, and it was fixed.

Just my 2c.

Originally posted by ChargeR
                      Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Working...
                      X