X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Shocks for DC2R

Hi Guys,

Firstly, hi and its a great site!

I just bought a DC2R and the front shocks are blown (yet still passed RWC??).

I can feel the front rather soft in comparison to the rear.

I know that DC2R OEM shocks have some pretty agressive dampening - my concern, how can I get replacement shocks which have AT LEAST the same dampening?

Brands easily accessible and not too dear such as Koni are adjustable (but dampening is not linear to the knob!), and Bilstein, well, I can't confirm Bilstein dampening = DC2R dampening.

Would anyone be able to recommend a replacement shock, through experience that has worked at least to factory specs?

I've had coils before in earlier cars and I don't plan on buying coils again. I want to keep the DC2R springs, etc as I think the factory height and rates are fantastic. Otherwise I might give honda a call and earn myself a heart attack

Thanks All.
    Last edited by SpecJ; 01-10-08, 07:38 PM.

sorry to hijack, but why are you against coilovers? (i am considering getting them so am very keen to hear your opinion). (also wouldnt mind knowing what honda charges, as my dampers would be getting a bit old...?)

Comment

I have nothing against coilovers. Its just that I'm at a stage where I'm over spending ridiculous amounts of money on a car. So replacement shocks will suffice ($1000ish) vs $2000 for an item which will see little to no value at resale.

Comment

Well if u like the stock ride height and are looking for something with damper adjustment you might want to try mugen low downs.

There pretty good in my opinion, and yesterday i foung that magic setting which made me wonder why i never tried making the rear stiffer before.

I was trying to sell them because i want something that sits lower, if ur interested pm me.

But otherwise you should try a spoon damper, that would be better than the current itr damper and you can run them with itr springs.
        /Oo ___H___ oO\
        |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Hey guys, reviving this thread. I just bught a dc2r and the rear left shock is leaking. I want to keep the car as genuine and original as possible. Rang honda and they quoted me $790 plus freight..per corner.. So i was wondering if there was another option? I want something that has exactly the same specs as the standard shocks. If not, i will fork out the dollars for oem parts. All 98spec R's are corner weighted from factory, so does this mean that i will need to get it corner weighted again once i change the shocks?

hitting vtec is like masturbating, sometimes you just do it because you can

Comment

I have ridden in DC2R's fitted with Bilsteins on stock springs and they are excellent. Quite firm compared to OEM shocks, a little more firm on the low-speed damping, but otherwise a good OEM replacement. About $1100 for a set.
            | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by on boost View Post
              Hey guys, reviving this thread. I just bught a dc2r and the rear left shock is leaking. I want to keep the car as genuine and original as possible. Rang honda and they quoted me $790 plus freight..per corner.. So i was wondering if there was another option? I want something that has exactly the same specs as the standard shocks. If not, i will fork out the dollars for oem parts. All 98spec R's are corner weighted from factory, so does this mean that i will need to get it corner weighted again once i change the shocks?
              Try Bilstein or Koni. They might even supply you with a shock dyno which would make your decision a lot easier. I have no experience with either brand though.

You will find it very difficult to adjust corner weights without any means to adjust individual corner heights. If the car is factory corner weighted then the stock springs must be slightly different lengths, so the new dampers shouldn't affect the stock corner weights.

So no you don't need to get the car corner weighted .

Comment

If I am not after a lower stance is there much use in getting new springs as well?

Comment

I have DC2R Stockies that I'm prepared to let go .. around 80,000kms on them still work absolutely fine.. pm if interested with offer..

Comment

DC2R's were corner weighted with a 45kg average japanese male. Fat chance of any DC2R in Oz being corner weighed with an average aussie in the driver seat.

Originally posted by ChargeR
                    Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by c01567 View Post
                      If I am not after a lower stance is there much use in getting new springs as well?
                      Unless you are looking to change the handling of the car then there is no reason to get different springs. I don't know of any aftermarket spring that doesn't lower the car.

Comment

this may seem like a stupid question but can someone recommend a place in sydney to get shocks supplied and fitted?

Comment

few places round man...pedders....wholesale suspension....

Comment

They are a piece of piss to install yourself -- Save some coin and learn something. :P Just remember to get an alignment afterwards.

Comment

yeah pretty easy if u got half an idea what to do...but if u got no clue at all leave it to the pros

Comment

Working...
                              X