car with HI/Lo beams...only using low beam hid's question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car with HI/Lo beams...only using low beam hid's question

i have a little question about the HID' type of bulbs.

would it be ok for car that normally has hi/lo beams in 1 bulb to be using a set of hid's that only have lo beam? or is that wrong

and with hid's i dont really think you would need hi'beams would you?
    i've driven a car once with hi/lo beam hid's and the hi'bream's just made it worse.. unless it was just that car that didnt have it angled correctly.

cheers

Originally posted by Reflex View Post
    i have a little question about the HID' type of bulbs.

would it be ok for car that normally has hi/lo beams in 1 bulb to be using a set of hid's that only have lo beam? or is that wrong

and with hid's i dont really think you would need hi'beams would you?
    i've driven a car once with hi/lo beam hid's and the hi'bream's just made it worse.. unless it was just that car that didnt have it angled correctly.

cheers

if you low beams are aimed correctly, i'd think that with HID you would still need your high beam due to the cutoff still being quite low (unless the light scatters everywhere)
    T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

You still need high beam.

Just because the light is brighter from HID it doesn't mean it substitutes your high beams... this is because the lowbeam is *aimed* lower, and will not provide you with long distance lighting.
      | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
        You still need high beam.

Just because the light is brighter from HID it doesn't mean it substitutes your high beams... this is because the lowbeam is *aimed* lower, and will not provide you with long distance lighting.

I agree, even with my s2k's which i love love love love btw, i still flick the high beams on every now and then.
        /Oo ___H___ oO\
        |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

High beam on my X5 BiXenon's is brilliant out on unlit roads/highways...

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
            High beam on my X5 BiXenon's is brilliant out on unlit roads/highways...
            how is a BMW X5's lights relevant???
            SUV/4X4's have a totally different high, probably completely different cluster design!!!
            Nankangs, Better than Your-Mums-Cans

* Please note, I hate Nankangs.

Comment

Originally posted by EL_DC5 View Post
              how is a BMW X5's lights relevant???
              SUV/4X4's have a totally different high, probably completely different cluster design!!!
              Ummm... maybe because they are retrofitted into my Integra!!??

Comment

well, because he retro-fitted BMW hids to DC2R...

search and find...

EDIT: doh, ninjacam
                ... retired/

Comment

while we're at it, here's the latest beam shot of my HID... not too bad for a reflector.

however, due to my little incident, the cutoff is now on the ground about 2m in front of the car perhaps i can somehow convince the smash repairer to give me the old headlight when the new one comes in, then i can see if a projector will fit in there
                  Attached Files
                  T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

ThanH I thought they sold projector hid lights for your car ?
                    /Oo ___H___ oO\
                    |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Originally posted by kavehman View Post
                      ThanH I thought they sold projector hid lights for your car ?
                      nope, oem hid on the UK vehicles is still D2R.

i've got my eye on a set though (d2r), so we'll see how things go with that.

just got a reply from the seller. £150 for the d2r headlights + £120 for post... + projectors etc for retrofit.

gonna have a look at some wreckers when i've got some time.
                      Last edited by MrThanh; 01-10-08, 07:15 PM.
                      T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

for hid's
                        would it be ok to use different brand bulbs for the ballast??

because i think phillips has replacement bulbs that you can use;

can you use them with only phillips ballasts? or you can attach them to any?

Comment

should be ok with any, but you don't want to bust up philips bulbs by connecting them to a cheap ballast with weird voltage irregularities
                          T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

yeha i get what you mean there..
                            incase its the el cheapo ballast.

because i had found a set although the actual bulbs dont look the same, one appears to be more white than the other; from which i was told it got wet and played up a little bit.

so instead of purchasing a whole new set
                            i was thinking of just purchasing the bulbs.

original set is the - project mu gt-hid' kit
                            and i was thinking of purchasing the phillips hid replacement bulbs.

would that be an ok thing to do?

Comment

give it a go. the project mu gt has a lifetime warranty on it (i think...?) must indicate some sort of quality. worst case scenarion: the bulbs will blow.
                              T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

Working...
                              X