Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EP3 Suspension -> Inverted tie rod question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EP3 Suspension -> Inverted tie rod question.

hey guys,

ive just purchased my ep3, the car is way too high for my liking. besides that the car is an awesome package as is.

anyways, im looking at purchasing some coilovers for my car, im looking at purchasing buddyclub n+. ive used them in the pass and they worked well enough to my standards.

ive read up that you will require inverted tie rods if i wanted to lower my car anymore than 2" or so. from the threads i have read, i havn't figured out what exactly needs to be modified/changed inorder for me to lower my car beyond 2". afew people have told me to get dc5 inverted tie rods, to run dc5r suspension. will this be the same if i purchased buddyclub n+ that are made specially for ep3's and not dc5r version or are both exactly the same, and i will need inverted tie rods regardless?

any help would be appreciated. im looking to upgrade the suspension asap.

T1R inverted tie rod ends id recommend. This inverts the connecting point of the tie rod, so that the car can be lowered while keeping the tie rods as straight as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by BRU51N View Post
      hey guys,

ive just purchased my ep3
      congrad!! what year/colour?

sorry for OT....

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post
        T1R inverted tie rod ends id recommend. This inverts the connecting point of the tie rod, so that the car can be lowered while keeping the tie rods as straight as possible.

Why would you recommend these?

Have you personally used these before?

I have heard many people in the USA who has used T1R steering rods and tie rod ends who have complained of them failing after only several thousand kms of use.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
        Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

If the N+ are anything like the RSDs you may not need inverted tie rods. A steering rack centre adjuster might be a cheap and suitable option. Chi would be able to tell you abut tie rod angles with BC coilovers.

LOL @ Steve recommending parts for an EP3. This is Chi's house Steven.

Comment

What do you boys think of whiteline suspension upgrade kit, this is what it say in one of the mags: "kits include heavy-duty sway bars, critical alignment or chassis products along with performance rated polyurethane suspension bushes and whiteline springs, these kits deliver the best value "bang-for-the-buck" handling improvement & provide a dramatic handling improvement over standard"

Priced from $1000-1500.

What's "critical alignment or chassis products "??

Comment

If you lower it by more then 2" you may as well need roll center adjustment ....
              Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
              1)ブレーキを踏む
              2)クラッチを切る
              3)シフトダウンしなから、
                アクセルをぶかす
              4)クラッチをつなぐ
              :blah:
              インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
              人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

buddy club will have there roll centre adjuster for sale soon, will be testing it soon

Seems like a good bit of kit...
                RWD + Boost =

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post
                  Why do we want the tie rods as parallel to the ground as possible? Enlighten us.

Get Mugen N1 coilovers. Instant inverted tie rod ends .

Originally posted by BRU51N View Post
                  ive read up that you will require inverted tie rods if i wanted to lower my car anymore than 2" or so. from the threads i have read.
                  You don't need to invert the tie rod ends. You may choose to however.

Comment

Originally posted by SHIFTY View Post
                    buddy club will have there roll centre adjuster for sale soon, will be testing it soon

Seems like a good bit of kit...
                    Spam much?

Comment

I hope the Buddy Club RCA won't fall apart like their headers, zorst and coilovers.

Airbox is right about the RCA, but honestly you will only need them if you are into serious track work for reduced bump steer and steering correction.

inverted ends are also a prevention from damaging your steering rack due to the awkward angle of the arms.

Buddy club coilovers connecting arms to the steering rod ends are lower than some brands like Tein and Zeal.

Depending how low you lower the car you may only need the inverted ends and not the Akom steering bracket ( if you choose to look into these )

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
                      Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

Originally posted by Chi View Post
                        inverted ends are also a prevention from damaging your steering rack due to the awkward angle of the arms.

Buddy club coilovers connecting arms to the steering rod ends are lower than some brands like Tein and Zeal.
                        How does the tie rods being at a slightly upward angle affect the steering rack? Are you suggesting the slight upward and downward loads that might be possible can damage the steering rack internally? I hope not because I have belted my steering rack with hammer many a time changing tie rods .

Also have you pulled those tie rods off that spare steering rack you kept for a rainy day, guy?

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                          How does the tie rods being at a slightly upward angle affect the steering rack? Are you suggesting the slight upward and downward loads that might be possible can damage the steering rack internally? I hope not because I have belted my steering rack with hammer many a time changing tie rods .

Also have you pulled those tie rods off that spare steering rack you kept for a rainy day, guy?

If you have the steering rack continously used with the awkward angles of the steering arms due to exccessive lowering of the car's height on the EP3/DC5 suspension geometry, it increase the chances of causing damage to the rack over time.

I have a friend who works at a Honda dealer and he has had several customers coming in requestinga new steering rack due to the car being lowered too much as daily rides.

Besides, I dont see any harm in preventing these things happening.

No I have no taken off the steering arms for you yet, thing is a bitch to take off.

I need some good tools first most of mine were hand me downs.
                          Last edited by Chi; 24-08-08, 08:19 PM.

Comment

If you have the steering rack continously used with the awkward angles of the steering arms due to exccessive lowering of the car's height on the EP3/DC5 suspension geometry, it increase the chances of causing damage to the rack over time. have a friend who works at a Honda dealer and he has had several customers coming in requestinga new steering rack due to the car being lowered too much as daily rides.

No I have no taken off the steering arms for you yet, thing is a bitch to take off.
                            Hmmm. Your logic is undeniable. Guy.

I used a selection of pliers, a screwdriver and a hammer to remove the lock washers on the tie rods, and two decent sized adjustable spanners to undo them from the steering bracket.

Comment

I hope the Buddy Club RCA won't fall apart like their headers, zorst and coilovers.

Airbox is right about the RCA, but honestly you will only need them if you are into serious track work for reduced bump steer and steering correction.

Depending how low you lower the car you may only need the inverted ends and not the Akom steering bracket ( if you choose to look into these )
                              so overall changing to inverted tie rods is just a prevention for steering rack wearage?

i really only plan to lower it roughly 2.5" to 3" (or somewhere in between), 2.5" seems like an adequate height imo. would you reccomend me in changing tie rods for the height im after? i do the occasional track days ( about 4 times a year or so). without changing the tie rods is it hard to say how long steering racks would last at the height of either 2.5" or 3"?

Comment

Working...
                              X