The JDM DC5R Brembo conversion thread !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The JDM DC5R Brembo conversion thread !

Since I've been getting several PM's about the conversion and stuff.

I've decided to put up a thread for information regarding the conversion and what parts can be used from the AUDM DC5R to replace if something was to happen.

What you need for the FULL swap : ( You can just get the front set up and run it that way only difference on rear is the hub's offset @ +60 & the brake calipers are aluminium.)

Front and Rear Hub
    Front and Rear Knuckle
    Front Lower Control Arms ( Aluminium )
    Front Sway bar
    Front Rotors
    Front Caliper+Bracket+pads
    Driveshafts
    ABS sensor lines
    Proportional Brake Valve ( not 100% needed but helps in braking feel )
    Bigger wheels to clear calipers ( JDM DC5R wheel specs are 17x7 +60 )

The above are needed for the full swap.

Parts you can use off the AUDM DC5R for the swap :
    Brake lines
    Hand brake cables
    Driveshafts ( not recommended but some people in the US have used it )
    Master Brake Cylinder ( JDM DC5R is 15/16" which is the same as AUDM DC5R - Some guys in the US say Face lifted DC5S/R has a bigger one but I am yet to find solid proof of this .)
    Rear knuckle ( You can bolt up the JDM DC5R hub onto the AUDM DC5R knuckle )
    Rear brake pads

Parts you can buy locally :
    DBA 4000 and 5000 brake rotors ( part # soon)
    Ferodo DS2500 Brake pads - front ( FCP1561H ) - I'm pretty sure these are the same as the earlier model 350z track R brembo calipers.
    Ferodo DS3000 Brake pads - front ( FCP1561R )
    Rear brake pads as its same as AUDM DC5R
    Braided brake lines ( same as AUDM DC5R )

Aftermarket part #'s :
    Endless Super Street S Sports Front brake pads ( part # EP400 )
    Endless Type R Front Brake Pads ( part # EP400TR )
    Project Mu Front brake Pads - Type HC ( part # F306 )

Important parts :
    Front lower control arms ( J's racing and Mugen supply these with stiffer bushings in them )
    Front knuckle+hub assembly ( J's racing supply these - I will find out if AUDM is same as JDM DC5R knuckle this weekend )

FYI :

Also since most hondas are 1-2 pot calipers they usually have 1 nipple to bleed per caliper for the fronts.

These brembos have 2 nipples per caliper and you will need to bleed both of them, otherwise you will have that spongy sinking pedal feel if not done properly.

Hope this information helps for anyone wanting to do the swap.
    Last edited by Chi; 16-08-08, 08:32 AM.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

And what do you rekon about them?

Comment

LOL good question elwood. Chi's doesnt go fast enough to make good use of them.

Nonetheless great write up. Chi add in that you need to bleed all 4 nipples on the calipers.
      BYP Racing & Developments
      Built. Tuned. Driven
      Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
        LOL good question elwood. Chi's doesnt go fast enough to make good use of them.

Nonetheless great write up. Chi add in that you need to bleed all 4 nipples on the calipers.
        Chi doesnt go fast enough to heat the tyres up..

Comment

Nice writeup Chi. I think this topic has been repeatedly asked about till death and a thread that finally sorts things out is very helpful.

Any reviews on them? How do the chicks rate them? Better than camber or worse than aggressive offset?
          Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Very Nice Chi. Perhaps also include in the weight difference since u weighed them as well?

Comment

Pics would be nice too...

Originally posted by ChargeR
              Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Weight of the rear is not very noticeable, more in grams than anything.

Front is probably about 1-2kgs lighter at max due to the aluminium calipers and control arms

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
                Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

nice write up mate
                  where would i find a set ?

Comment

I got my set from some dodgy guy who owns a crappy EG6 lol

Comment

Great info Chi. It is good to have all this in one place.

Take some pics and write up a DIY next time Chi Chi .

Comment

There is really nothing too tricky to it if you are mechanically savvy, just need the right tools and some help.

I had my mechanic do it for a cheap price and since I didnt have all tools it was easier too.

However he has never done 4 pot caliper bleeding before and I later found out I have to bleed 2 nipples per caliper, I told him about it and he said he left it on purpose for me to figure out....... bastard.

Basically all parts are bolt in, so there is no modification required for the swap.

Maybe for the swaybar end links in which case you can use the stock AUDM ones.

And if by unlucky chance the rear knuckle is bent you can use the audm one.

But in most cases if parts are in good condition there should not be any hiccups in the swap.

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
                        Nice writeup Chi. I think this topic has been repeatedly asked about till death and a thread that finally sorts things out is very helpful.

Any reviews on them? How do the chicks rate them? Better than camber or worse than aggressive offset?
                        If man chicks count then they are highly rated lol

Thats a tough question, But I would say the brakes are better simply because its JDM lol
                        Last edited by Chi; 16-08-08, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chi View Post

However he has never done 4 pot caliper bleeding before and I later found out I have to bleed 2 nipples per caliper, I told him about it and he said he left it on purpose for me to figure out....... bastard.

=
                          Are you kidding right? Wonder how it'll feel if your brakes didnt work and smashed into someones arse.
                          BYP Racing & Developments
                          Built. Tuned. Driven
                          Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

i'm about to do the jdm brembo conversion on my dc5R for the front and rear in a few nights time, i would like to find out how many litres of brake fluid would i need, does brembo hold more fluid than the stock brake setup?
                            '03 Integra DC5 Type R
                            Naturally Aspirated, K20A i-Vtec

Wakefield Park: 1:13.047 w/ street tyres
                            Eastern Creek Int'l Raceway: 1:57.969 w/ street tyres
                            Power: 155Kw with Mugen N1 ECU

Comment

fitted.

but missing the correct bushing for the cusco 25mm front swaybar for the jdm dc5r, would our stock bushing fit? i called up whiteline the biggest they have would be the 24mm.
                              '03 Integra DC5 Type R
                              Naturally Aspirated, K20A i-Vtec

Wakefield Park: 1:13.047 w/ street tyres
                              Eastern Creek Int'l Raceway: 1:57.969 w/ street tyres
                              Power: 155Kw with Mugen N1 ECU

Comment

Working...
                              X