Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clicking noise when steering.

Hi Guys,

Was cruising around tonight and noticed a clicking sound here and there when entering a friends drive way. Looking further into it, i kept going full lock left to full lock right and it made a LOUD click sound every few times i did it. I'm not too sure if it was there before but its definitely there now, when i drive it happens once in a while on turns as well.

HELP!
    sigpic

car is a dc5 with aftermarket suspension i guess ?
    check your tierod endlinks they maybe too tight or too loose.

Comment

Car is DC5S with stock sussy. Previous owner did have after market sussy but changed back to stockies when i got it. Where are the Tierod endlinks?
      sigpic

Comment

check driveshafts.
        BYP Racing & Developments
        Built. Tuned. Driven
        Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Could be you steering rack.

Due to the DC5S running the Macpherson strut set up once the car is lowered the steering arms are angled awkwardly and depending how low he lowered the car, the lower it goes the more chances of damaging the steering rack.

I have a friend who works at Honda and has had a few customers come in with DC5's and the EP 4 door civics needing quotes for new steering racks because of their lowered cars damaging the rack over time.

But is there a loss of steering feel in the car?

Another reason might be the steering tie rods are faulty, if he had removed them or installed aftermarket ones he may of damaged it.

Its known for faulty steering tie rod ends to click as well when turning at full lock.
          Last edited by Chi; 02-08-08, 10:59 AM.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
          Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

There is not loss in steering feel of the car, there is just a click once in a while, not always happening when full lock is used. Sometimes mid steer it will click. The previous owner only had the coilovers on for a short period as the car is still around 30,000 and he only had the coilover on for 20,000km or so ><!

What is the best course of action from here? Any self checks i can do? is it causing any further damage to my car if i drive it in the mean time?
            Last edited by Zakarados; 02-08-08, 11:53 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

UPDATE:

Friend advised to do a quick test and jack up the car and try to shake the wheels. Left wheel shook, RIght wheel was solid. Checked the Tie Rod nut and it was slightly loose. Tightened her up and seems to have fixed the issue. Waiting for oil to settle in car as i just did an oil change and will test it out tonight.

Thanks for the help/info. Hopefully its fixed the issue.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X