Suspension or mounts? Clink noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension or mounts? Clink noise.

So ive started hearing a very noticeable clink noise which im not sure where its coming from. The noise usually presents itself when i take off normally from standing start in first gear. And sometimes even when accelerating / decelerating.

I have Zeal Super Function coilovers with pillowball mounts and mugen engine mounts.

Now i have an idea that it may either be the pillowball mounts making noises as they arent greased up or lubricated.
    Or
    Engine mounts are fcuked and im getting alot of engine movement.

What do you guys think?

check wheel nuts for looseness first...
    ... retired/

Comment

Hey yeah im getting the same noise too but it was there even b4 i installed my tein SS coilovers. Got my mechanic to check it but he couldnt find anything wrong at all! My wheel nuts are tight too! Its been bugging me for like 6 months now. All my mounts are fine and my driveshafts and cv joints were replaced recently! Driving me nuts!!!
      VTEC = Very Technical Extremely Crazy!

Comment

if the cv joints were replaced recently make sure the 32/36mm hub nut is tight on either side

Comment

it could be engine movement but it is not a real clink noise, unless your rubbers have been reduced completely to bare metal on metal lol. i've had a similar problem and i've physically felt alot of movement from my engine the last few weeks and checked my mounts finding that the passenger one is almost completely destroyed, the rubber that is. i replaced it n the noise n feeling is no longer there. its defintately noticable if its your mounts, the 'bashing' of your engine around the mount is easily felt...
          DCIIR

Comment

checked my wheel nuts seem to be fine and tight.
            Its weird i seem to sometimes hear it in the front. sometimes in the rear. i dunno if its my head playing tricks on me or the harmonics rebounding in the car so it sounds like its coming from the rear.

boy am i confused lol.

Comment

well if its the same noise coming from your rear then you wouldnt have to worry about your mounts being the problem
              DCIIR

Comment

ok so i just opened up the bonnet and gave the car a few quick revs and the engine seems to rock back and forth about 2 - 3 cm. is this normal with mugen engine mounts?

Comment

check that your swaybar endlinks are tightened

or it could just be the brake pads moving in the calipers

Comment

how old are your mounts?
                    DCIIR

Comment

well i got the mounts last year and put them in my old DC2R probably around september.
                      But soon after i installed the mounts i was in a rollover x 3.
                      Car was a right off but after inspection the mounts seemed to be ok no cracks etc so decided to use them again in my new DC2R.

I was always a little nervous that they would be damaged but wasnt sure.

No judging over the accident.

Comment

i dunno man, maybe the mounts weren't as good as thought be.. the movement i felt from mine is gone since changing them, i was thinking about going spoon or mugen but the oem ones are good enough so i put them in and all better
                        DCIIR

Comment

Could be a few things...

Check your engine mounts for cracks or if they are loose (check the bottom mount), also check your control arms...

Cheers Dave.

Edit: if you think noise is from rear, check your exhaust (in particular axle back) if it is loose or hitting against something
                          Last edited by SHIFTY; 30-07-08, 11:51 PM.
                          RWD + Boost =

Comment

good point could definitely be a clinking noise coming from the exhaust
                            DCIIR

Comment

Originally posted by myr08u View Post
                              or it could just be the brake pads moving in the calipers

yes, it could be!
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X