Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Groaning Sound

Hey all,

Ive been finding lately that on low speed taker off where i have lock on, either left or right ie. doing a u-turn i am hearing some groaning coming from the front of the car. Cannot pinpoint where it is from, but considering it is when i am putting load on the car, ie. clutch engaged, im thinking it might have something to do with the gearbox or diff... anyone have any thoughts on what it may be?

thanks all

Kalen

driveshafts?

what is age/KM of car?
    ... retired/

Comment

Most probably the driveshaft bearings. That is the first sign that they are going...

I get a similar sound; but its only prominent when the car is cold and on deceleration.

It comes from the rear though... Still no idea what it is. lol
      "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

if it happens when turning...

Its proabably either, CV joint or hub bearing/or even the hub itself.

If it sounds like a metal to metal grind, its could be hub or hub bearing (if you dont fix hub bearing quickly it will also kill the hub)

BTW - you gearbox doesn know when you are turning man.. if its when u are only turning, its not likily your gbox... if its your gbox, it could be spiglot bearing maybe

We need more info, on when it happens and if its 100% both sides when u turn
        Last edited by BlitZ; 16-07-08, 11:55 AM.

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

2000 DC2R 62k kms

thanks for your info guys, Blitz, i was figuring in terms of "turning" the LSD would become operational considering the car is turning... that was my thought anyway... the CV's have no clikcing or anything like that, i was beginning to think it was the bearings...

100% both ways it doesnt happen when taking off normally (no turning involved)

its not a metal on metal sound, more like a whining sound... not really agrinding as you would imagine... it may be but it just sounds like a deep muted whining sound...

Comment

try topping up power steering.........or checking it at least
            my sale thread 21.01.12
            CLICK & BUY AWAY

Comment

I think i have the same sound. I happens when i pull away in 1st when the car is not warm. Does it last for about a second or two, if that? Does it sound like it's coming from under the dash/engine area?

I hevn't looked into it yet, but i think its something electrical and not mechanical - certaintly not the driveshaft (if you have the same noise as me). Possibly something to do with the SRS or ABS system
              Last edited by joewalsh86; 16-07-08, 05:28 PM.

Comment

ok... most of the run down sound is gone since the new hasport mounts i got put in today... but now it is 15 times worse because the mounta rattle the fuckin shit out of the whole car...

my mechanic said that there is nothing abnormal about the sounds the car is making

Comment

Change your MTF.

I had this noise at full lock on low speed turns, I believe it is the LSD. When was your MTF last changed?
                  | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

I had this in my CRV might be different but it was something to do with my shocks or springs i can't remember, one of those, but got it fixed and its all good now... but i guess groaning noises can be alot of things

Comment

Is your mother getting in the car with you while this is happening ?

I hear a lot of noises when my mother is in the car, unfortunately I can't simply turn the radio up.
                      /Oo ___H___ oO\
                      |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

kaveman... no

freaky... was changed to fresh MTF a month and a half ago... the mechanic couldnt diagnose the issue...

Comment

Working...
                        X