B18C7 Balancing and ITR Tech Guide download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
    i read that, but but which way does it "change"?

decrease reciprocating weight = rise in the harmonic frequencies?

increase reciprocating weight = fall in the harmonics frequencies?

in reality - can it even be measured?
    changing the weight would only alter the frequency of the engines critical harmonic vibrations.

the danger is still there whether you increase or decrease the mass.

just for example purposes only, lets say that the critical frequency of a standard engine is 50hz. this would mean that the stock harmonic balancer is designed to absorb the dangerous frequencies at 50hz.

by increasing or decreasing the weight of the engines components, the new critical frequency may now be 40 or 60hz (for example only). which would mean, when the engine is operating at this frequency, the standard harmonic balancer is unable to absorb these frequencies, leaving the engine prone to early failure.

from my understanding, the fluidampr i posted earlier, is able to absorb a wide variety of frequencies that the new engine combination produces.

you would definitely be able to measure these frequencies with the correct equipment.

Dave, just because your engine has lasted this long, doesn't mean that damage is not slowly being done to it or leading to a failure.

How long will your engine last? How long is a piece of string?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackDC2 View Post
      Dave, just because your engine has lasted this long, doesn't mean that damage is not slowly being done to it or leading to a failure.

How long will your engine last? How long is a piece of string?
      exactly, worrying about whether a change to a flywheel will affect longivity might be considered a little extreme in concern...
      ... retired/

Comment

exactly, worrying about whether a change to a flywheel will affect longivity might be considered a little extreme in concern...
        totally agree

Comment

That is essentially what i wanted to have clarified...

I think i will be getting this mod when i need my clutch replaced... 142,000km and its still going fine... how long is it expected to last damn it?

Comment

for further reassurance,

please read this publication, which clarifies why the B18CR totally kicks ass as a hi-po engine...

http://home.exetel.com.au/tinkerbell...ical_guide.pdf

and explains all the reasons why you shouldnt be trying to adapt info about 50 year old chevy engines to the B18CR...
            Last edited by tinkerbell; 16-07-08, 02:49 PM.
            ... retired/

Comment

And its relatively long stroke and high redline gives it the highest piston speed of any automobile engine in the world, even faster than the legendary World Championship Formula One and IndyCar engines.
              fark me

not modding the B18CR with the best intake and headers available seems like a travesty doesnt it?

Comment

now you are talking!!!

doitttt!
                ... retired/

Comment

yes well i need an exhaust when i get headers.. and a cat.. i want an RM01A (cos its good and not too loud) but its a 1 piece and shipping is a problem

Comment

Quote:
                    And its relatively long stroke and high redline gives it the highest piston speed of any automobile engine in the world, even faster than the legendary World Championship Formula One and IndyCar engines.

Wow., didnt know that!!

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by justinfox
                    You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DC2R View Post
                      Wow., didnt know that!!
                      have you read all this then? http://home.exetel.com.au/tinkerbell...ical_guide.pdf
                      ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
                        That is essentially what i wanted to have clarified...

I think i will be getting this mod when i need my clutch replaced... 142,000km and its still going fine... how long is it expected to last damn it?

Replace it now before all of the springs fall out of it and wreck your gbox casing.

My clutch was 130,000km when I replaced it, and the springs were very close to falling out and causing some damage. The friction material was hardly worn however...
                        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

8000km to go till the 150,000 service... and i need to replace the master clutch cylinder which is apparently weeping...

did you replace the clutch with OEM or exedy or other? What flywheel did you get freaky?

Comment

Are you serious???

Who cares! Slap it on, and enjoy it. Honda flywheels aren't exactly all that balenced. It's a type R man... a stock 1.8L Honda, not a Ferrari. Slight 'imperfections' will not make a difference.

Originally posted by ChargeR
                            Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

I did download the file the other day, but i just installed the PDF reader and had a look then.. Some good reading in there, thanks for that....

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by justinfox
                              You can modify many crappy cars out there to be faster than a real Type-R but no matter how fast they are they still don't knock the Type-R off it's "pedestal" which it so deservedly sits on. :P

JHDM-B18C7 >>>>> Source Code: DC2R 00-0016 SOLD

Comment

Exedy OEM replacement.
                                "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X