dc2R oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dc2R oil pressure

hey guys, ive noticed that my defi oil pressure gauge shows idle pressure of ~150kpa and max pressure ~600kpa, the needle seems to rise to just under 6 and then 'bounce' back a little. the gauge calibrates ok so i think it is accurate, but just wondering if u guys have the same experience? ..and why does it 'bounce' back? is there a cap on peak pressure? sorry for mechanical noobiness of this question
    "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Originally posted by szymonsta View Post
    hey guys, ive noticed that my defi oil pressure gauge shows idle pressure of ~150kpa and max pressure ~600kpa, the needle seems to rise to just under 6 and then 'bounce' back a little. the gauge calibrates ok so i think it is accurate, but just wondering if u guys have the same experience? ..and why does it 'bounce' back? is there a cap on peak pressure? sorry for mechanical noobiness of this question
    Oil pressure drops when VTEC initiates due to Oil-pressure operated switch opening. Also there is an oil pressure relief valve.

What you are saying seems normal from what i've read and in line with what others experience.
    | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

cam - i think VTEC engagement is not what syz is talkinga bout.

it could be the way the relief valve operates, i see mine hit 80ish then "settle" to about 77 in normal driving...

the valve is there to prevent oil pressure being too high...

... retired/

Comment

i thought so. it seemed as if theres a valve of some sort which releives pressure beyond that point.

thanx guys!
        "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

This is correct
          My defi sits :

idle: 2.0 or slightly above
          under vtec: 6.0
          vtec: 5.5

and it's electronic
          ..:: Disciple of the DDang Driving School :: ..
          - Don't rev at me, I get scared -

Comment

I know that this is almost a year old thread but I have a relevant question

Would idling at 150kPa/21.8PSI be normal? I had worries as the pre-set low oil pressure warning on the defi was set at 150kPa and it would occasionally beep.. (I have obviously had this warning changed to 120kPa) I do realise that oil pressures will differ from car to car but having the car idling on a "standard" low oil pressure wasn't very pleasant...

What would a dangerous oil pressure level be?
            Wakefield 1:14.5640 - DC2R

Comment

22psi seems lower than the norm, but probably ok at Idle

Whats the Max oil pressure your getting?
              Deano.

Comment

Max Oil Press would be just a little under 600kPa/87PSI.. which seems normal and healthy...

Only the idling has got me a little worried.. It would only dip under 150kPa/22PSI when the engine has been running for at least 20 minutes and the oil temps are hovering around 95 degrees C.

Comment

So your Idle is fine/normal, not low?
                  Deano.

Comment

I'm not too sure if idling at 150kPa/22PSI is normal.. I was asking you if you knew that was ok...?

Lol, thanks for your help so far though!

Comment

20psi @ idle is fine
                      ... retired/

Comment

Was refering to engine speed at idle. Is it normal or lower than norm?

Tink thinks its fine too.
                        Deano.

Comment

Ahhh my engine speed.. engine speed is all the same.. nothing has changed from the norm..

Sweet.. Thanks again fellas

Comment

20psi is fine for idle.. more important is you wot vtec or at 3krpm

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

O rly?

What sorts of pressure figures should I be expecting at around 3000rpm and vtec high cam?
                              In the meantime, I'll go for a drive tomorrow and have a look!

Comment

Working...
                              X