Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water temps

hi guys
    my dc2r has a koyo radiator and defi gauges, the water temp one being connected to the top radiator hose via a trust t-piece.
    the thermostat and all other related components are standard.

i have noticed that the engine temperature gauge next to the tach now sits 2 notches below midway during regular driving, where it used to sit bang in the middle with the standard radiator). however the defi gauge shows i am running 60-80deg C water temp (and oil temp 80deg C). i understand the greater cooling efficiency means the car takes longer to warm up, but im concerned that it is running too cold (not in its optimum operating range, therefore more internal wear over time).
    anyone care to shed some light? where does the standard engine temp gauge next to the tacho read from?should i be worried?

"What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

replace the thermostat.
    ... retired/

Comment

see here for more info:

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=4251

EDIT:

start reading from post #52 onwards...
      Last edited by tinkerbell; 13-06-08, 04:34 PM.
      ... retired/

Comment

thanks tinks. u da man.
        ..im not getting any soot on the rear bar, and fuel economy is ok though..
        hhms..and should i replace it with a standard honda thermostat, or a mugen 'low-temp' one since im running mugen ecu, exhaust etc..(and possibly getting intake too).
        i'd assume a standard one since i dont wantthe coolant cooling the engine sooner after startup..this would make it run even colder right?

Comment

Originally posted by szymonsta View Post
          i'd assume a standard one since i dont wantthe coolant cooling the engine sooner after startup..this would make it run even colder right?
          once you fit a properly working thermo,

it will stay closed at startup and make it heat up quickly...

that is the job of the thermostat.

if you run a Mugen ECU - check to see which thermostat Mugen says to use with it...
          ... retired/

Comment

mugen thermostat..okies. thanks again tinks

Comment

I run mugen thermo and fan switch...also mugen radiator......it run cooler while u are driving but it take about the same amount of time to warm my car up......the thermo and fan switch only work from lower temp but it doesn't stop ur car from warming up.....as I remember fan switch operate from 80 degree and thermo is from 70 degree and fully open on 82 degree...so it won't get ur car run too cold......unless ur thermo is broken...which is the case in my old car.......
              Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
              1)ブレーキを踏む
              2)クラッチを切る
              3)シフトダウンしなから、
                アクセルをぶかす
              4)クラッチをつなぐ
              :blah:
              インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
              人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

hi i think i might have a thermostat problem as well, from reading what people have said.

Ever sins i bought my DC2R the stock temp needle has all ways sat on the first mark to the left of hafeway mark, it warms up quick though drive like maybe 3-4 km at 60 and its there, don't have any soot in the rear tip and my fuel econ about 14-15 KM per Liter i though it may of possible be gauge error what do uses guys think ?

do all of DC2R's sit pretty much hafeway when fully warm ?

my DC2R is completely stock to BTW
                Living The Midnight Dream

Comment

as long as it stays STILL - it doesnt really matter where the needle points... a bit below halfway is about right...

if it starts moving at all during driving, it might be starting to fail...

the *job* of the thermostat is to keep the temp guage needle steady...
                  ... retired/

Comment

hmm well it doesn't move when driving im pretty sure. ill take more note next time.. i might just replace it any way for the hell of it

Comment

thermostats are a "wear item" and do not last forever.

hence why they only cost 30 bucks
                      ... retired/

Comment

yup thanks for the help tink

Comment

Yeah mine sits a little left of dead centre, except when driving on a cold night going down a hill when i take my foot off the throttle and coast - it almost freezes!

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post
                            Yeah mine sits a little left of dead centre, except when driving on a cold night going down a hill when i take my foot off the throttle and coast - it almost freezes!
                            happens on the way to Wakefield in winter too
                            ... retired/

Comment

got mugen thermostat installed recently.
                              solved all temp issues i had. standard temp guage now shows water/engine temp rising within a few minutes of driving, then steady just left of center reading. and holds this reading throughout a varied range of driving environments and styles. perfect. defi gauges showing correct temps also, so all perfect.
                              thanks once again master tinks!

Comment

Working...
                              X