Thoughts on Engine Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Engine Mounts

Ive just been told by my mechanic that my rear engine mount is busted.

Ive been doing some research on mounts, as i think now it's time to ugprade with a full aftermarket mount set as im going to be tracking and dragging the car more.

The car is a compromise, i drive about 10kms a week in it only if the weather is nice, and will track it either in drag or circuit form once every 2 months i'd say. So it does need to maintain some "normalness" about it on the street, so i dont want it shaking my teeth out.

I am getting them to put up with the abuse of tracking and dragging, so i am chasing better feel, and something that will last under these conditions, not just for the f&*k of spending money. However, it's got to be bearable on the street.

I'm not interested in filling them with inserts or polyeurathane...

So i'm after something better than OEM but bearable on the street.

Ive heard the Spoons and Mugen's are original style mounts with harder rubber in them

Ive heard the Innovatives and Hasport have a different design mount with harder rubber in it?

I'm interested in opinions on these different options guys... need help!

Cheers

kalen, ring yonas and he will talk you through the options

Comment

i was definitely planning to do that bro, but i'm just trying to gauge the opinions of different users before i call a seller

Comment

i am happy just running two front ES inserts for mine...

but if your rear mount is busted, maybe just replace that with OEM (i got a new one froma wrecker for $45) and use inserts to stiffen up the ride...

that is the cheapest best "bang4buck" way to do it...

a full set of mounts should only be used by non-daily driven cars...
        ... retired/

Comment

what about just replacing the rear one to a heavy duty unit?

On the circuit its not going to make a whole lot of difference other than more accurate shifts with less strain on the driveline which is good, but its going to count more in drag racing (im not chasing huge numbers and in the foreseeable future wont be doing huge mods to the car, i just want it to be reliable and want to get the most out of what is essentially a stock setup).

will having a heavy duty unit, or kinda like you Dave, having the stiffer rear mount, will it have an impact on the long/short term reliability of the rest of the mounts?

Comment

just siklaflex all your engine mounts.
            'freakygeek is the stig'

Comment

fuck people need to learn how to read

Comment

LOL!

I had to replace the rear mount.

When its broken; whatever you replace it its going to feel better.

I just replaced with OEM and it feels fine now.

I still get slight movement (thats from the other mounts), but nothing like before.

For long term reliability - if your going to use a heavy duty rear mount in conjunction with a stock setup; it will probably put pressure on the rest of the mounts.

IMO change them all; or change the rear and put inserts in them for a stiffer setup.
                "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Zilli View Post
                  fuck people need to learn how to read
                  Yeah your right fuckwits that don't read...

Might cry myself to sleep tonight...
                  Last edited by Danga; 16-05-08, 11:23 AM.
                  'freakygeek is the stig'

Comment

Originally posted by l3vnd1 View Post
                    LOL!

I had to replace the rear mount.

When its broken; whatever you replace it its going to feel better.

I just replaced with OEM and it feels fine now.

I still get slight movement (thats from the other mounts), but nothing like before.

For long term reliability - if your going to use a heavy duty rear mount in conjunction with a stock setup; it will probably put pressure on the rest of the mounts.

IMO change them all; or change the rear and put inserts in them for a stiffer setup.
                    thanks dude... appreciate your input. I would think that it would cause strain and further movement from the rest of the remaining mounts... better for a long term "fix it once and do it properly" to do them all... i'm leaning towards a 65a Hasport replacement kit.

Comment

In my opinion ... mounts were a great mod

Completely different feel especially with acceleration off the mark, acceleration in gears but also deceleration felt crisper. I had been driving around with a cracked rear mount for a while, so when it was fixed, the power felt it had returned. Power delivery just felt a whole lot smoother. It put the fun back in the car for me (till i got used to it again )

I went with Innovative because the Hasports weren't in stock, little bit more for some bling but both the same function. They are a little bit rattly at idle, and more so when you haven't had an oil change. It was a good indicator to change my oil. I didn't mind it, the 14k springs was harder to put up with

A few things that may have biased my opinion of the engine mount change.
                      - light fly clutch
                      - ats final drive
                      - i didnt drive my car every day - only about 1-2hrs a week.

For something not so harsh, I would have gone the mugens.

Tinks could probably comment if there's any difference in feel between inserts and full mount replacement
                      ..:: Disciple of the DDang Driving School :: ..
                      - Don't rev at me, I get scared -

Comment

Originally posted by euGeR View Post

Tinks could probably comment if there's any difference in feel between inserts and full mount replacement
                        my comments regarding full replacements are in post 3...

however, we dont all have 'daily drivers' - so it is a useless comment i guess...
                        ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                        X