Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Transmission Oil Change.

Hey guys,

I just did my 40k major service and got the Honda guys to take a look at my gear shifting for me, and they advised its slightly rough but standard for the Type S gear box. Just for peace of mind i want to change my transmission oil just using Honda MTF.

Just need to know a few details/hints/tips of doing it my self.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    sigpic

yeh the type S has a rough feel while shifting.. atleast i think so..

neway

tips

do you know where the filler and drain bolt for the tranny is on your car?
    on the DC5 its where the passenger side wheel is.

1. jack the car up onto all 4 post (so that its level)

2. remove the passenger side wheel (hopefully you loosened the lug nuts before jacking the car up)

3. now before draining the Oil from the tranny i always check that i can remove the fill bolt first!, no point draining the tranny if you have no way to fill it.

4. once that done remove the drain plug and let your car drain its fluids once it stops dripping put a new washer onto the drain plug and chuck it back in.

5. start filling up your car with new MTF.. either via a pump or use a funnel and hose
    6. plug the fill bolt back in and torque everything up and wallah
    Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
    some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
    Originally posted by tinkerbell
    if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
    A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
    Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

also this on ClubRSX has nice pictures =p

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...light=gear+oil
      Memorable quotes

Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

Thanks for the info/link, very useful.
        sigpic

Comment

planning on doing this il change this week end, just 1 more thing to think about is a magnetic sump plug, seeing though ill be changing the oil was wondering if this is worth changing to?

Just got a quote for tranny change from a Mechanic, $60 including fluids. which sounds pretty damn good when the fluids are around 15 bux/Liter.

Tossing up doing it at home, or paying around 15 bux for labour ><!
          sigpic

Comment

Mechanic = piece of mind if you trust them more than yourself

DIY = sense of satisfaction: just make sure you tighten the sump plug properly so it doesn't fall off

Comment

mate! 60 bucks is kinda *too* cheap!

they may use low quality oil!
              ... retired/

Comment

pay the extra 15 to *know* that is is done right!!!

you have the DC5 workshop manual right?

http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/

get the Acura RSX (02-03) Service Manual(40Mb PDF)
                ... retired/

Comment

Thanks guys,

Yeah quote was 60 dollars.. i was very surprised. I'm not too sure how many Liters it needs but i have been advised between 3-4 liters. So pretty much going to this mechanic is same price as buying the oil it self. They advised they would use Honda MTF.

Any comments on the magnetic sump plug? or is it just a bling item you cant even see.
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah! mag sump plugs are good for teh engine - but the gearbox already has 2 big internal magnets - so no need for an extra one....

you need around 2.2 litres for a gearbox oil change...
                    ... retired/

Comment

2L will do it - I bought 3 and didnt use the third bottle...
                      "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hmmm ok then.. cool... So that would be 30 bux for labour not too bad... thanks for fast replies guys.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just a thought, i was looking through the DIY instructions, would it be possible not to put the car on the stands/jacks and just jack up the front left tyre take it off and go from there? I'm running stock suspension so my car sits up pretty high.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zakarados View Post
                            Just a thought, i was looking through the DIY instructions, would it be possible not to put the car on the stands/jacks and just jack up the front left tyre take it off and go from there? I'm running stock suspension so my car sits up pretty high.
                            you want the car level atleast..

because you pretty much fill the tranny till small seeps of fluid comes out the fill bolt you want to make sure that fluid sits level in the box.

but having said that.. its dangerous to work on the car using a hydrolic floor jack and no stands, i personally would not recomend that.

and on another note.. never use the "scissor" jack to ever work under or around the car.. that scissor jack was designed to hold up the car just long enough to change a tyre.. it was designed with space saving in mind. i have a few good uses for this particular jack and none of them include holding up a car =P
                            Memorable quotes

Comment

Originally posted by l3vnd1 View Post
                              2L will do it - I bought 3 and didnt use the third bottle...

whoah - yeah, sorry - that reminds me - it is for a DC5, so only needs 1.8l for oil change.

it is the DC2 requres 2.2l for a oil change...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X