Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clunking noise

Hi All,

Just after some help with my EP3. Sometimes a knocking or clunking noise omits from the car (around the steering rack). It intermittenly occurs, has anyone experienced the same problem?

Also where is the Power Steering fluid reservor?

clunking.

Does it happen when you turn the wheel?

Is the car lowered ?

Could be some things, like the height adjusting plates are loose if it has coilovers, or something on the steering rack is loose or worn.

Details of mods to teh car would help.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

Engine mounts?

Comment

Originally posted by xzibit View Post
        Hi All,

Just after some help with my EP3. Sometimes a knocking or clunking noise omits from the car (around the steering rack). It intermittenly occurs, has anyone experienced the same problem?

Hey xzibit. I have a 2002 ep3 and im currently getting this scratching noise from the driver side front of car. The noise sounds asif its coming behind the steering so i thought it had something to do with the steering rack or something but i took it to someone to have a look at and he reckons it looks ok. It happens when im accelerating and when i turn steering wheel under acceration aswell. Going to get the car on hoost saturday to take a look at front driver side suspesion for the mechanic suspects possibly thats what it could b.

Comment

it could be the well known steering rack problem. theres a huge thread about it on u.k forums explaining what to look for and fix for it. could be worth having a look.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to get pedders to check it out this Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

hey typercivic u reckon u could link me the location of that information i cant seem to find it

thanks mate

Comment

no probs...I gotta rush of but this is what i could find now but will have another look when get the chance.

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewt...ering#p1686305

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewt...ering#p1436011

this one is more to do with steering pulling to a side but may be relevant
                http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewt...t=4636&start=0

Comment

Originally posted by typercivic View Post
                  no probs...I gotta rush of but this is what i could find now but will have another look when get the chance.

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewt...ering#p1686305

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewt...ering#p1436011

this one is more to do with steering pulling to a side but may be relevant
                  http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewt...t=4636&start=0
                  cheers mate

Comment

Originally posted by xzibit View Post
                    Hi All,

If your car has aftermarket suspension/springs , there is a big chance this is relative to your steering issue.
                    Why ? The front design is linked directly to the shocks themselves , any change in height can change the toe dynamics + put more stress on your steering rack. Best bet is the tierod ends are not firmly held to the shock end ( resulting in this bump)

Correct me if im wrong...isnt the EP3 full electronic steering ? IE no PS fluid

Comment

Originally posted by bennjamin View Post
                      If your car has aftermarket suspension/springs , there is a big chance this is relative to your steering issue.
                      Why ? The front design is linked directly to the shocks themselves , any change in height can change the toe dynamics + put more stress on your steering rack. Best bet is the tierod ends are not firmly held to the shock end ( resulting in this bump)

Correct me if im wrong...isnt the EP3 full electronic steering ? IE no PS fluid
                      correct bennjamin the ep3 is full electronic steering

Comment

Just got back from Pedders, seems like the steering rack is causing the clunking noise. Quoted $730 including labour to replace the rack (reconditioning the rack is the same price).

Anyone know places where I can get the steering rack repaired? Also would the integra type r have the same steering rack?

Comment

Try ringing Honda they should have a part number it might be the same.

Otherwise try wreckers, there may be a halfcut with one lying around

Comment

Called Honda, they couldn't help based on the fact that the car is an import.

Comment

hey xzibit. I took my car to get looked at in regards to the creaking noises. And my mechanic said its definately coming from my steering rack. I asked him if i need to get a new 1 installed and fited in and he said nope no need at all. The steering rack fault is not a safety issue and he said i could leave the workshop and drive around for years with that creak and the car wont fail. All it is, is some rubber boots/ mounts that have just dryed up and rubbing together causing this creaking noise and just need grease and lubrication. No need for a new rack because in time same thing will just happen. He couldnt do it 2day because he was flat out busy and i cant take my car there anytime soon because of work but within the next fortnight ill take it back and get it fixed. I asked him is my car safe to drive at the moment and he said yes it is, i could go fanging it up and down streets and i have nothing to worry about its just a rubbing noise thats all. He even said my car is safe to do track runs even so yeah must b safe to drive haha. So yeah ill let ya know how i go later on within the next fortnight after he lubs it up

Comment

Working...
                              X