DC2R hard to put in gear - oil choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC2R hard to put in gear - oil choice?

can anyone reccommend any good brands? im going to get my car serviced soon from hannys but not sure what oil would be the best to use as it's my first DC2R service.
    also whenever going into first gear and sometimes second.. it doesn't go in properly.. goes in like half way.. then when you try to put it into gear properly.. the clutch starts to grind (possibly cause i accidently hit the accelerator thinking it's in properly)
    just wondering whether this was a problem because of the lack of gear oil (i was told i needed to top it up by the previous owner) or a problem with my actual gearbox.

Thanks in advance.

honda oem ftw

Comment

I use OEM as well

Comment

OEM here too

Comment

Originally posted by fezp View Post
          also whenever going into first gear and sometimes second.. it doesn't go in properly.. goes in like half way.. then when you try to put it into gear properly.. the clutch starts to grind (possibly cause i accidently hit the accelerator thinking it's in properly)
          is this when it is hot or just when the gearbox is cold?

replace the fluid with OEM MTF, and see how this goes...

you really only need to *upgrade* to higher strength transmission oil when you are circuit racing...
          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
            is this when it is hot or just when the gearbox is cold?

replace the fluid with OEM MTF, and see how this goes...

you really only need to *upgrade* to higher strength transmission oil when you are circuit racing...
            it's whenever, like whenever the car is on it has trouble getting into gear.. does it with reverse aswell
            but when the car is off.. it'll go in perfectly smooth. it's just when you're holding the clutch in and trying to shift then i have a problem, you really have to slam it in to gear sometimes. I have a shortshifter dont know whether that's important or not to figuring this out.

Comment

For a shortshifter to feel like a normal shifter, a balance weight must be applied so that it will slip into gear easier. My mechanic in singapore did that for my car in SG. But i m not sure if any mechanic can do it here.

What sort of MTF should we use if we are going to the track? Any brand to recommend

Comment

can anyone reccommend any good brands? im going to get my car serviced soon from hannys but not sure what oil would be the best to use as it's my first DC2R service.
                just wondering whether this was a problem because of the lack of gear oil (i was told i needed to top it up by the previous owner) or a problem with my actual gearbox.

Thanks in advance.
                In addition to above comments,
                Check inside of fire wall for clutch leak...
                Slave cylinder also... (On front of engine / gearbox)
                It may be just a leak or you may need to bleed the clutch.
                TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
                TODA Racing - TODA Power - FIGHTEX
                Official Australian Distributors
                Engine Building / Dyno tuning / Licenced Mechanical Workshop

Email: toda@todaracing.com.au

M-Factory - HALTECH - Hondata - EXEDY - WORK - Supertech - Crower

Comment

Bleed the clutch??

Comment

Bleed the clutch??
                    TODA AU is suggesting that the clutch may not be disengaging properly due to air bubbles in the clutch line hence making it hard to put the car in gear. A bleed with fresh fluid will fix this.

The general procedure for a bleed and fluid replacement:

1. Remove any old fluid from the clutch reservoir with a syringe and fill with fresh brake fluid.

2. Attach a bit of clear tube to the bleed screw on the clutch slave cylinder (no idea where this is on a dc2) and immerse the other end of the tube in a container with some brake flui in it.

3. Get someone to sit in the car and pump the clutch a couple of times and then hold it to the floor. With the pedal held to the floor *slightly* loosen the bleed screw so some old fluid and any air present is forced out and then close it up. The person in the car can then let the clutch out.

4. Repeat step 3 until you get clean fluid and no air bubbles.

Comment

While we're on topic of bleeding clutches, is there another way of doing it besides pumping the clutch ?

Someone was telling me you can buy a 'tool' that pretty much sucks all the old fluid from the nipple and therefore there's no need for you to pump?

but.. i've never seen this tool before :|

Comment

it's whenever, like whenever the car is on it has trouble getting into gear.. does it with reverse aswell
                        but when the car is off.. it'll go in perfectly smooth. it's just when you're holding the clutch in and trying to shift then i have a problem, you really have to slam it in to gear sometimes. I have a shortshifter dont know whether that's important or not to figuring this out.
                        Digging up an old thread...

I had this problem too...exactly like you mate, and the problem ended up killing the gearbox...it was the tranny fluid...it came out a pasty green...(anyone know what brand makes it?)

This was found to be the culprit and must've been used by the previous owner...

If the above occurs, flush and replace your oil ASAP!!

My situation got so bad that one day I got into reverse, it wouldn't disengage, and when I rammed it out of reverse...it dislodged the shaft and shut out reverse, permanantly, and stuffed up 2nd gear as well.
                        It was driveable...but only forwards and when you engaged 2nd it would rattle, so I had to drive 1st - 3rd gear to get to the workshop.

Ended up costing me $1500 for the gearbox to be taken out and fixed with all bearings replaced, with 5th and reverse gear newly replaced.

Gearbox is defintely all better now but oh boy was it costly. >_<

Comment

Originally posted by oVo View Post
                          I had this problem too...exactly like you mate, and the problem ended up killing the gearbox...it was the tranny fluid...it came out a pasty green...(anyone know what brand makes it?)
                          gearbox oil mixed with engine coolant?
                          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by oVo View Post
                            Digging up an old thread...

This was found to be the culprit and must've been used by the previous owner...

If the above occurs, flush and replace your oil ASAP!!

My situation got so bad that one day I got into reverse, it wouldn't disengage, and when I rammed it out of reverse...it dislodged the shaft and shut out reverse, permanantly, and stuffed up 2nd gear as well.
                            It was driveable...but only forwards and when you engaged 2nd it would rattle, so I had to drive 1st - 3rd gear to get to the workshop.

Ended up costing me $1500 for the gearbox to be taken out and fixed with all bearings replaced, with 5th and reverse gear newly replaced.

Gearbox is defintely all better now but oh boy was it costly. >_<
                            Motul FF-LSD gearbox oil is in light green colour
                            Last edited by DC5R; 17-10-08, 01:13 PM.

Comment

All my gears are fine; except recently I crunch going into 5th!

Dont know why - only while im driving, 4 - 5, 3 - 5,

Stationary it doesnt do it.

My gearbox oil is only 6000K's old also.
                              "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X