Seam weldng and foam filling chassis rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seam weldng and foam filling chassis rails

Ok, my car is parked in the panel shop waiting for parts to be fitted.

I was watching the JUN DC5 build, where they were seam welding the chassis and filling the chassis rails with high density expanding polyurethane.

Firstly, does anyone know where you can buy around 5 litres of the foam?

I have tried google'n it but havent found anything in Australia, with the only thing being in the UK (which takes way too long to ship) and in the US, but they only sell huge kits for insulating your house.

Secondly, what points on the car benefit the most from seam welding?

The rear, up to the start of the carpet, is easy to strip and so are the door sills.

If these were the only areas I welded, would it be worth it?

What are you trying to achieve?

The reason why I ask is my car is being built for circuit only and we didn't bother with seam welding and chassis mods. If you're planning on doing this for street/track day use I'd save mytime and energy if I were you.

Comment

Its for tarmac rally, but I also drive the car on the road sometimes and wont be able to get away with a roll cage.

Comment

The tarmac rally I drve in does not require a roll cage btw.

Comment

It just won't be needed. Use commercially available braces and your DC5 will be more than willing to perform well. A stiff chassis is detrimental when doing tarmac rally. I'd only look at chassis work for a pure circuit racer since the surfaces are always much smoother. You'd want more a forgiving chassis for Aussie tarmac rallies.

Just make sure you run a good quality front and rear strut brace and lower arm bars, match these to a nice ~8kg front/12kg rear coilover setup and you'll be well set up for any Aussie tarmac rally.

Comment

Im thinking of the change in alignment under hard cornering due to slick or semi slick tyres.

The car will be going on the circuit too with full slicks, but this will only be for my enjoyment not for any competition.

Comment

Originally posted by JDM_DC5R View Post
              The tarmac rally I drve in does not require a roll cage btw.
              Which rally is that? Just wondering because my cams manual (Sect7.3) says you need one?!?
              happyhong says:
              aus only have 3 r
              happyhong says:
              civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Originally posted by fueltank View Post
                Which rally is that? Just wondering because my cams manual (Sect7.3) says you need one?!?
                I haven't looked into it, but I think Dutton permits street cars without cages. Just harnesses, helmets and usual fire gear. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Why not just buy the foam from JUN? It can't be that expensive in overall terms of building a car for tarmac rallies.

Comment

lol I cant say... I dont want competitors knowing my build details, its better to turn up as a surprise.

And where can you get the JUN foam from?
                    Last edited by JDM_DC5R; 03-04-08, 11:57 PM.

Comment

lol I cant say... I dont want competitors knowing my build details, its better to turn up as a surprise.

And where can you get the JUN foam from?
                      JDMyard should be able to get it for you. They are yet to refuse my requests for even the most obscure JDM goods .

Comment

jdm dc5r are you the guy i meet yesterday at wakie with the white rally jdm dc5???

yeah jdmyard can get you the foam

z10 says:
                        i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
                        z10 says:
                        mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Its for tarmac rally, but I also drive the car on the road sometimes and wont be able to get away with a roll cage.
                          From a safety point of view, I think you are crazy for not installing a cage in a car that is mostly going to be used off the street, especially in rally circumstances where the consequences of any small slip ups have a high possibility of injury.

Surely your life is worth more than the few thousand it costs for a cage

Comment

I just dont like roll cages.

If you have a bumper car, you dont care if you knock into things.

You concentrate on driving a lot more if you know you're stuffed if you slip up.

Each to their own.

Comment

I don't think it's about the car knocking into things.. more to do with you knocking into something :P

Comment

Working...
                              X