Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to *properly* waterproof your HID ballasts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to *properly* waterproof your HID ballasts...

As one of my ballasts is going to be mounted in the inner fender, where it is prone to water splashes and moisture, I thought it best to find a good way to waterproof them.

The guys over at www.hidplanet.com forums suggest electronic potting epoxy, basically a 2-part resin which you totally encapsulate all the componentry with..

I found a suitable thermally conductive potting epoxy at Farnell -

http://au.farnell.com/108783/mechani...equestid=97980
    Datasheet :- http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/92175.pdf

Here's what the stuff looks like when poured inside the ballast unit...

Basically then it is just left for 24hrs to cure, then it's ready for use... totally sealed from the elements, and more shock resistant also!
    Attached Files
    | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Nice...let us know how it goes mate!

Comment

This is the 2nd one, the first one I did on Monday and then ran it for 1/2hr on Tuesday night, all worked well. The "heatsinking" effect of the epoxy should mean that the components stay cooler (and hopefully last longer) than they otherwise would, too...

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

So when are we going to see pics of the finished set-up ?

Are you going to write us a how too ? pretty please
        /Oo ___H___ oO\
        |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Oh yes pretty please Cam

Comment

OK, I promise I'll do a write up.... I am messing around with another "feature" at the moment - Electronic levelling motors. I found that this switch lights up amber, same as stock DC2R instrumentation. Just need to mount it somewhere nice, maybe in the blank panel under the drivers side air-vent... Anyway, experimental stages at the moment, lots of little problems to address still...

I will do a writeup on the DC5 ones I'm doing at the moment too... (Hi Sangers - I haven't forgotten about you!!)
            Attached Files

Comment

u can also just hide the ballasts behind the fronbar
              2004 Integra DC5 Luxury Alabaster/Satin Silver

Comment

Originally posted by m0nk3y View Post
                u can also just hide the ballasts behind the fronbar
                That would be the reason I am waterproofing them.....

Comment

well what im saying is that if its behind the frontbar, it should be find from oisture and water, unless you decide to go swimming in your car.....
                  2004 Integra DC5 Luxury Alabaster/Satin Silver

Comment

Originally posted by m0nk3y View Post
                    well what im saying is that if its behind the frontbar, it should be find from oisture and water, unless you decide to go swimming in your car.....
                    I take it you haven't pulled the front bar off your car before and seen all the evidence of water being splashed in there? It doesn't take much moisture to destroy one of these little things.. the standard rubber seal on the ballast has proven to be insufficient by many people who have had them fail due to water damage.

Inside the front bumper is NOT totally free of moisture and water splashes...

Comment

I put mine in my fenders.. seems 2 be fine.. has been through alot of rain, hail and shine! and they are still perfect!!
                      RWD + Boost =

Comment

i put mine in the front bar no issues. The ballast say they are waterproof anyway

Comment

hahahaha.... is my first reaction from reading this thread... you are so bored up there cambo! come to sydney mate!
                          'freakygeek is the stig'

Comment

Working...
                          X