Wheel and Tyre Combination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel and Tyre Combination

I need some help with regards to Wheel and Tyre Combination?

What tyre will best suit a 17 x 8 wheel size?

I rang a local tyre shop to purchase some tyres, originally I was after a 225/45/17, however the guy at the shop is not sure that will be wide enough for the wheels, he recommended 235/45/17.

Wierd thing is, 235/45/17 is cheaper then the 225/45/17 in Adrenalins, not sure why.

I wacked in the values for comparing in: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

And says that 235/45/17 has a Rim Width Range: 7.5 - 9 inch and Speedometer Difference: 1.813% too slow

Whereas the 225/45/17 has a Rim Width Range: 7 - 8.5 inch and Speedometer Difference: 0.408% too slow

Also looked into 215/45/17 which is for Rim Width Range: 7 - 8 in and Speedometer Difference: 1.052% too fast.

Has anyone got similar setup would like to provide a recommendation? which one would be best suited?

Thanks for your help...
    sigpic

you need to make sure the "load rating" is legally correct for your car...

anyone know what the DC5 needs???
    ... retired/

Comment

Load rating is a minimum of 89V for a dc5r according to the placard on the door jam on my car. I imagine those tyre sizes will be higher load rated than that but it might be wise to check.

Any of those tyre sizes will fit on a dc5 with the correct wheel offset. I guess it depends on whether you want a slightly stretched tyre look or a squarer sidewall look.

I have personally seen a 235/45 17 on the front of a dc5 but not the rear. A 235/40 17 might be better due to the lower overall diameter for a possibly llighter tyre and better gearing.

What offset are your wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
        you need to make sure the "load rating" is legally correct for your car...

anyone know what the DC5 needs???
        load rating is 89 for R and 91 for base
        both have V speed rating
        T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

My wheel specs are:
          17 X 8
          Offset: +42
          pcd: 114.3

Thanks, if load rating is 89V, according to Michelin Website:
          89 = 580kg per tyre
          V = 240 km\h speed rating

According to Bridgestone Adrenalins, the closest I can find to that load rating is: 215/45/17 with load rating of 91 (615kg per tyre) and speed W (270km\h) or 205/45R17 with load rating of 88, but the width will not suffice my wheels for 205's.

Im in a predicament of whether to get as close to the load rating as possible as well as having the correct width setting to suit the wheels.

Otherwise, if i get the 235/45/17, having a load rating of 94 (670kg per tyre)and speed rating W (270km\h) is there an affect of getting a tyre over the load rating specs? (im assuming more wont be as bad then less?? )
          sigpic

Comment

A load and speed rating higher than the minimum has no undesirable effects. The numbers simply correspond to a maximum amount of load that an individual tyre can be subject to, so I cannot see higher being worse.

Comment

just another question... have u checked the rear guard clearance with the rims?

mine is -0.5 camber with 225/45/17 JUST passes, and i dont need to roll the guards..

my offset is +45.

i think with 235 and +42, u will def need to roll the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by wuism View Post

mine is -0.5 camber with 225/45/17 JUST passes, and i dont need to roll the guards..

my offset is +45.

Thanks for the info. I will take that into consideration.
                Unfortunately I will not know until i purchase the tyres and fit them on.. I have no other way to test.

What is your wheel size and width? is it also 17x8?
                sigpic

Comment

my offset is +45.

Thats interesting. I run +43 225/45/17, 17x7.5 and negative -1 degree camber at rear and I am no where near rubbing.

I would say it also depends on the height of your car.

Comment

mine is 17x8

Comment

mine is 17x8
                      Ok, sounds like you got the same wheel size as me.

How low is your car? any pics?

For me, I don't think my car will be slammed to the point the tyre is under the guards or so... but then again, on hard cornering im not sure. However I do have stiff as suspension which should help i suppose.

Thanks anyways.
                      sigpic

Comment

my rear has about a 1 finger gap, and i dont think it's slammed or 2 low.

i run 12k rear springs, but i'm sure the wheel does come under the arch at some point.

pics are here..

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=3191

i'm just thinking that 235 will be a bit 2 wide with that offset thats all... u can still try if u need to get the loading correct...

Comment

Working...
                        X