IM port match write up..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IM port match write up..

I was recently confronted with the choice of changing my IM, low and behold I decided to order an edelbrock performer X from the States whilst our dollar was strong.

Couple weeks later she arrived ,and consistent with reports on the 'net,' the casting of the performer x was mis aligned.

So began the arduous process of optimising my $3XX manifold to its fullest potential.

The obvious solution was to port match the sucker. I managed to DIY up a process as follows.....

Firstly, I removed the factory IM of the R (carefully labelling all components and steps as Iam a bit of a newbie to this process). After that was taken out, I examined the porting of the head to a factory gasket. I fould that therewas enough play to warrant concern, subsequently I stiky taped and siliconed the factory gasket to the head to achieve perfect alignment. Note: thge gasket was marginally larger than the port on the head.

After the gasket had set, and I was confident it was not about to move on me, I applied four dobs of silicone to the edelbrock and bolted the IM in place then headed off for some libations...

After I was confident the gasket had glued to the manifold, Icarefully removed the edelbrock from the studs to reveal the correct positioning of the gasket on the IM and the misalignment.

Scribing of the gasket to the edelbrock was the next step performed with a sharp niko. Note: I allowed al little clearance and scribed about .02" smaller as an anti reversion measure.

Next out comes the die grinder with a carbide tip and the slow and gently molding and some hacking begins. I "blended" the grinding in atleast 10 cms up the chamber. Next came the 80 grit dremel, then 120 grit, hand sand then a polishing compound.

All this time I kept the factory gasket on for reference.

Once satisfied, out came the carby cleaner and stanley knife to clean up the gasket surface of the IM, this was followed by appropriate cleaning.

I bought a second gasket to check my work. Significantly satisfied with the result, the corrected IM is awaiting installation but as tonight is new years eve, I wont be in a rush tomorrow to install.

Hope this helps and please correct me if i have left any steps out or led anyone astray..

Dyno charts and pictures to follow... maybe....

Happy New Year

Great write up bro thx for sharing........
    Happy New year too bro......take it easy......
    Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
    1)ブレーキを踏む
    2)クラッチを切る
    3)シフトダウンしなから、
      アクセルをぶかす
    4)クラッチをつなぐ
    :blah:
    インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
    人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

i/m installed.

Had to modify a couple of parts though. The throttelbody bracket had to be diy ed a tad. Sensor running off the injector wiring loom had to be extended. Stock intake arm had to be cut. Coolant hose from t/b to block had to be extended.

Other than that, was an ok install.

As for power .......

WoW is all I can say..... Engine rev's free, car is smooth and man does she pull HARD... Will hopefully get some time to re-tune. ADRIAN???? you heading up this way soon????

Cheers

Jansen

Comment

well, if you coudl post some pics, that would be even better,

but great to hear you got a feeling of more power - but be careful - it might have leaned it out a fair bit!!!

maybe keep out of the last 10% of rpm range to be safe until you cna check the AFR...
        ... retired/

Comment

mm PIcs please.. but fair effort to do it yourself =P..
          Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
          some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
          Originally posted by tinkerbell
          if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
          A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
          Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

did u use the STD throttle body?

Project: Machine myself a heavy gear knob

Comment

yeah pics are coming...

I used the spoon t/b... Note: angled t/b = slight tweakage. Arm had to be shortened and t/b cable had to be adjusted, really not a good idea for us with std engines...

awaiting camera to up load photo's. As for a/f ratio, might look into a wide band 02 or i'll just throw the car on the dyno.

Comment

just threw on the dyno at cnj for a check up tune. very very late 130 kw's...

Comment

Interesting reading

Comment

Working...
                  X