Experiences with Shorted Steering Tie rods or Inverted Tie Rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences with Shorted Steering Tie rods or Inverted Tie Rods

Was wondering if anyone has Tried either of the items to help reduce the bump steer and increase steering feel due to lowering their DC5's on coilovers.

Im basically looking at just the Inverted Tie rod ends and steering rack bracket adjustment kit.

But have been told i may need the shortened steering Tie rod ends as well.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this setup ?

Just for those who are unaware, on DC5 due to the Macpherson strut set up, when you lower the car a fair bit the steering rack becomes unaligned and slants upwards overall causing steering feel lose, possible bump steer and over time damage to internals of steering rack.
    Last edited by Chi; 30-11-07, 11:38 PM.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

I have the J's racing steering tie rod on my DC5S, because of this i can adjust the front toe

Comment

how is ur steering rack alignment and how lowered is your car?

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
      Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

Lowering the DC5R too much also makes the LCA's point upwards, which is not good for handling.
        Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
          Lowering the DC5R too much also makes the LCA's point upwards, which is not good for handling.

would j's racing tie rods fix this or inverted rod ends?? in what way does it effect handling?? i havent really noticed since i've lowered my car.

Comment

Originally posted by urbanracer.com View Post
            would j's racing tie rods fix this or inverted rod ends?? in what way does it effect handling?? i havent really noticed since i've lowered my car.

Depends how low you have gone and what coil overs you are running.

Some coilovers actually have a lowerLCA/connecting tie rod arm so it doesnt affect the steering rack as much.

From what Ive read.

Shorter steering tie rods allow you to adjust the camber and toe more.
            Because the stock one when you lower it, is too long and pushes outwards more making it harder to add more camber/toe than usual.

Inverted Tie Rod ends help reduce the strain of the of the rack being pushed upwards and helps with reducing bump steer and increasing steering response.

I got these pics from another forum as a outline or idea of what it does

This is an idea of what the steering rack sorta becomes when it is lowered a fair bit

What you want to achieve or hope to get as close as possible to is like this:

I have also seen custom made Brackets for sale designed to raise the height of the steering rack to a more linear position on ebay and clubrsx.

Im basically prob gonna go for the steering tie rod ends atm first and give that a try.

But as i said would like to see if anyone has had experience with these.

Comment

getting inverted tie rods will do nothing to fix up ur LCA angle.

that is wat a roll centre adjuster is for.

using stock tie rods when the car is 2 low puts the steering arm up in an angle, putting extra stress on the ends as it's not flat. not only this, u decrease ur turning circle as well. hence this is y u get the inverted ones.

after putting this in, and camber bushings, the car became more twitchy... good thing about it though, is that over bumps at slow speed, there is no creaking noise that i normally get
              Last edited by wuism; 01-12-07, 01:56 PM.

Comment

to be honest, i don't know if you can "feel" the difference with the j's racing steering tie rod...however, my front camber and toe was more adjustable.

Comment

Originally posted by tofu View Post
                  to be honest, i don't know if you can "feel" the difference with the j's racing steering tie rod...however, my front camber and toe was more adjustable.
                  i am running top fuel inverted tie rods, and the car is definitely different.
                  Suspension guys tell me that now instead my bump steer being toe out, it is now toe in which is quite unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Chi View Post
                    But have been told i may need the shortened steering Tie rod ends as well.
                    top fuel inverted tie rods are shortened already, and basically any inverted tie rod will be shorter (T1R, etc)
                    Last edited by wuism; 01-12-07, 11:22 PM.

Comment

how much will inverted tie rods set someone back? and how low does ur car need to be before this needs to be thought of?
                      sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

I got mine of this guy.
                        http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76914

i've lowered mine about 40mm from stock if i remember correctly, u can lower your car by 20mm and you wont need it IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by wuism View Post
                          I got mine of this guy.
                          http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76914

i've lowered mine about 40mm from stock if i remember correctly, u can lower your car by 20mm and you wont need it IMO.
                          wow!

thats pricey.

I was quoted by a guy in the US for $250 US landed.

And that includes brackets to raise your steering rack as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chi View Post
                            wow!

thats pricey.

I was quoted by a guy in the US for $250 US landed.

And that includes brackets to raise your steering rack as well.
                            be aware of cheaper tie rod ends, the T1R ones i heard break quite easily (failed spherical bearing)

Comment

i thought it was better to buy these than tie rod ends...
                              http://www.randdmotorsports.com/cart...roducts_id=386

Comment

Working...
                              X