Oil Cooler recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fueltank View Post
    When I did the thermostat + twin core radiator on the skyline. Oil temp dropped and remained steady even when spirited driving was done.

Before this I would see oil temp to 110 normal and 130+ spirited, after the change it would be normal 90 and spiritied sat on 100.
    Track would probably push it up more but goes to show the two are relevant.
    Whoops,

I posted before seeing this. Was this with an oil cooler fitted?

It seems that radiator/cooling efficieny should be addressed before moving onto efforts to actively reduce oil temps. Is this correct?

Comment

Ed's temperature readings are consistent with what I'm putting out. I can maintain track temperatures to a constant 95-100 (oil) on 25-30 laps.

Apart from selecting the correct grade of oil for the specific conditions/weather. Yes, an upgraded race orientated radiator and oil cooler along with additions like larger water pumps and better hoses all make a significant difference in keep temperatures optimum.

Comment

are you referring to the use of silicone coolant hoses?
        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by JCE View Post
          Whoops,

I posted before seeing this. Was this with an oil cooler fitted?

It seems that radiator/cooling efficieny should be addressed before moving onto efforts to actively reduce oil temps. Is this correct?
          Sorry, no oil cooler was fitted.

That is why I would assume track usage would probably push the oil temps up.

And before anyone says it. The turbo in the skyline was 'water cooled' not oil cooled.
          happyhong says:
          aus only have 3 r
          happyhong says:
          civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
            Ed's temperature readings are consistent with what I'm putting out. I can maintain track temperatures to a constant 95-100 (oil) on 25-30 laps.

Apart from selecting the correct grade of oil for the specific conditions/weather. Yes, an upgraded race orientated radiator and oil cooler along with additions like larger water pumps and better hoses all make a significant difference in keep temperatures optimum.
            That's a really good temp reading for that many laps
            I've been aiming to get my under 100 for more than 5 laps, but there doesnt seem to be a cheap alternative.

Basically, oil helps with cooling. Water and Air also aid cooling.

Oil tends to break down faster and thins at higher temps - thermal stability. If Oil breaks down or thins, then it loses its protection properties, so under heavy prolonged use, this may promote component failure (extreme case).

SAE or ISO is rated at 100 degrees C - base line for specifications. I'd say what Noel is running would be about optimal 90-100C.
            ..:: Disciple of the DDang Driving School :: ..
            - Don't rev at me, I get scared -

Comment

was thinking i could add a pair of 150cm PC fans to my oil cooler, dash switch operated...

anyone seen any oil cooler fan setups?
              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                was thinking i could add a pair of 150cm PC fans to my oil cooler, dash switch operated...

When you're moving, I doubt you need the fan, even for the radiator.
                You just have to ensure that you have sufficient space behind the cooler
                for air to flow through.

Usually placing it against the radiator is not such a good idea, you should leave a gap of about an inch or more.
                MFactory Performance Products

Follow my journey to Superlap at: http://nextstopsuperlap.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post

Not sure how long they'd last in the elements.
                  happyhong says:
                  aus only have 3 r
                  happyhong says:

Comment

not very, they dont even last that long in computers. its most likely better trying to source an industrail standard fan if you are really interested

Comment

ahhh, yes... elements

idea has been binned, unless i can get small thermo fans?

e240 - this is where i mounted mine:

... retired/

Comment

all depends on how much u reall want it hey? You can make a small metallic bracket joining either ends of the two bolts. Then you can just bolt the fan off the bracket.

but this reminds me of an old thread on crsx where we talked about thermostat and such.

If the car is stationary then great the oil cooler would function better, but what happens if its moving? Wouldnt natural airflow be better? wouldnt the fans block a part of that natural airflow?

Comment

This is what you want then.
                          http://www.daviescraig.com.au/main/display.asp
                          happyhong says:
                          aus only have 3 r
                          happyhong says:

Comment

trying to find my post where i say that:

IMO - the fans improve air flow, as it is not relying on the air to passivly pass, rather it is *active* - which should give better flow when combined with passive airflow at speed...

but it was PRUNED!!!
                            ... retired/

Comment

No idea tinker.

Lets say if wind was flowing at 40km/h.

the fan pushes air at the oil cooler at 40km/h

does that mean a 40km/h wind going through the fan will end up at 80km/h or is it still 40km/h

Comment

driving at 40km/h does not equal wind flows through radiator at 40km/h

there is a buffer zone, that creates a boundry layer in front of the radiator that makes it easier for the air to go *around* the car rather than try to go *through* the car...

that is why creating a negative pressure differential inside the engine bay (via a "pulling" fan) will encourage the air to go *through* the radiator rather than *around* the car....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_layer

at least that is what i understand...
                                ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                                X