DIY oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY oil change

hey guys... due to my stay at clubitr ive been inspired to start doing things myself :P (my poor car)

anyway, i went to honda and got myself the 4L honda 10w40, oil filter and SP washer ready for me and a mate to get to it...

i searched the entire site but coudnt find, do i need the whole 4 litres? or should i fill up 3, and check the dipstick to see where my level is at..

sorry for the noobness

do not fill the whole 4l

fill about 3l, wait 3 minutes, then check, and repeat this untill it looks right...

MAKE SURE the car is on LEVEL ground - this makes a big difference!

also - check the oil the next day (after driving) to check it is correct...
    ... retired/

Comment

You should find the exact amount your car will need in your owner manual. Quickest way is do what you said 3 litres then top it up till its right.
      Make sure you have the sump plug tight when finshed and put some oil on the black o-rng on the oil filter before you install it to HAND TIGHT. After you start the car wait for the oil pressure light to go out (it should only stay on for 20sec max) then check your oil level. Go for a quick drive and check for leaks and your oil level again.
      F/S: VTI-R Civic

Comment

when finshed and put some oil on the black o-rng on the oil filter before you install it to HAND TIGHT.
        i didnt quite follow this part?

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post
          i didnt quite follow this part?
          What Page means is that there is a rubber O-ring on the oil filter. Place a thin layer of oil on it before you install the oil filter. It should say it on the actual oil filter anyways.
          CARSFORHOPE

Comment

also - make sure you DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the sump plug!
            ... retired/

Comment

why? there is a thick metal washer there anyway... ??

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
                why? there is a thick metal washer there anyway... ??
                the crush washer is there to fill in the small gaps where it might leak.. when you tighten the sump bolt it sorta presses the soft aluminum into the gaps

because people are silly and use a breaker bar to tighten the sump bolt and end up threading it in ^_^.. i dunno.. you dont need to put super human strength into tightening it..

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                also - make sure you DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the sump plug!
                Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
                some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
                Originally posted by tinkerbell
                if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
                A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
                Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

exactly! the pan is made of thin soft steel, it is easy to strip the thread with a hardened steel sump bolt...
                  ... retired/

Comment

i have a short ratchet... without superhuman strength i wont stuff it up will i?

Comment

just drop the oil remove old oil filter... let it drain for a bit...

get sump plug and new washer put it on.. not 2 tight but tight :S if u know what i mean.. if it is to loose it will slowly undo itself if its 2 tight u could strip the thread and crack ur sump (as its made of a soft metal)

with the oil filter rub some oil over the ring on it, this helps keep it lubricated, also only hand tighten as it will tighten itself from the oil pressure anywayz (but still if u dont feel confident in ur strength u can use a oil filter clamp thingi and tighten it a quarter of a turn MAX - otherwise it will be a biatch 2 remove)

after sump plug on and oil filter on spray some brake cleaner or degreaser or some kind of appropriate cleaning material on the engine 2 get rid of any of the dripping oils so it is clean...

then add the 3litres of oil start car let it run for a bit... check dipstick and under car if it leaking or anything add oil if needed (make sure 2 check owners manual so u know how much is needed) on level ground...

take it for a drive.. come back and check oil level again...

good luck :P

oh if ur doing it in ur own garage.. dont use jacks 2 hold up the car! get jack stands!!!

Cheers Dave.
                      Last edited by SHIFTY; 30-10-07, 05:58 PM.
                      RWD + Boost =

Comment

anyone else?
                        ... retired/

Comment

much appreciated guys!

Comment

make sure u fit the new engine oil filter in, fill ~3.5 L and close the engine oil cap then start engine for few second ~7 sec( let engine oil goes into the oil filter) then turn off the engine and check the engine oil pin but make sure the oil level under the upper point(hole)
                            for me i will let the oil just under the upper hole
                            hope i can help^^
                            Plz correct me if i am wrong
                            Last edited by DC5R; 31-10-07, 04:23 AM.

Comment

ffs, how many times does it need to be explained ?????
                              /Oo ___H___ oO\
                              |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Working...
                              X