DC5 - Exhaust Smoke after fitting new Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5 - Exhaust Smoke after fitting new Exhaust

Ive just recently had a BC3 fitted on my 02 DC5 and now my car is blowing black smoke when hitting VTEC. It has only started happening since I had the new exhaust fitted. Could anyone please let me know how to stop this or whether it is 'normal' or not.

Cheers
    Brad

did u buy a used exhuast?

Comment

blowing out black smoke usually means some of the fuel wasn't burnt and the excess was blown out of your exhuast.

but i have known of some cars that does that after having a brand new exhuast fitted, but after a while the black smoke wasn't blowing out of the exhuast anymore.

Comment

did u replace the cat as well?
        almost JDM spec, y0!

Comment

reset ecu might be a good idea.

YOu might have alot of gunk in an old exhuast "if u purchased a second hand one"

if you bought a new exhuast most likely your ecu has not "learnt" the best a/f mixture. drive around for abit more and see how it goes or reset your ecu.

Comment

Reset your ecu maybe?

Blowing black smoke, doesn't that mean you're running richer now? I dunno *shrugs*

Comment

yeah, hebe, it does, but that doesnt make heaps of sense, since a better flowing exhaust will tend to lean out the A/F...

but maybe it is running *just* as rich as it previously was, but it is able to be noticed more due to the exhaust having less restriction, and hence less chance to muffel the smoke?

Brad - see pic for how to reset ECU:

Attached Files
              ... retired/

Comment

It is a 2nd hand exhaust brought from CRSX. Ive had the exhaust fitted for about 2 weeks now so I would imagine that if there is any junk in the pipe from the previous owner it would have been blown out by now.

TINKERBELL - Thanks for the pic Ill try to reset the ECU tonight and see if that helps any.

SANGERS - I have got stock headers and cat. Have just replaced from the cat back.

Comment

it may not be running richer, but with a better flowing exhaust, it might be scavenging the fuel at a larger rate due to less backpressure?

Comment

Brad you bought this thing from me. I can honestly say i never had any issue with it blowing black smoke! I dont know what the go there is.

how did you go with getting the tip shaped?

Comment

Hey dude,
                      Yah i got it all straighted out the silencer fits in nicely now

Yah its strange might take it to see my mechanic see if he can find out what the issue is.

I reset the ecu this morning but no luck

Comment

When I first fitted my new exhaust I was actually back firing a little (as my friend as following me and saw a bit of flame). But after while it stopped, so I assumed the ECU finally learnt.

Comment

reset the ecu but then agn its not too big of a problem bcoz my car blows out heaps of smoke...

Comment

Working...
                          X