Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-power mods....specifically a b18c7

hi all.

Just a thought...currently have a usual lil civic with an alternate engine inside ( see b18c7) and my aim is to get the most out of this setup without adding anything "bolt on" ( I/H/E or modifying the actual engine in anyway).
    Point is , that it seems obvious putting any amount of money is useless on a honda engine. ($ per kw)

Anyway , I currently am looking at replacing the 3/4/5 gearset , namely that these 3 are lacking and can be improved. (noticeable @ wakefield , WSID and driving in general). I have been searching alittle and spoken quite abit with Leonard (Mfactory blue EG civic) and he says they are a great investment , big improvement noticed @ eastern creek.
    For the money spent it appears to be a great mod ( around $800 , free labour as DIY) so it might be something myself and all you B series guys out there might look at. Instead of a MUGEN intake or TODA header that does squat all.

Anyone here have any tech links to this tye of gear altering etc ? OR any experience ?

Can you detail exactly what is going on with this mod?

Are you intending to make the 3/4/5 gears shorter, like in a type R?

Personally, I would leave gear #5 tall for fuel economy reasons, since I almost never have to use gear 5 in a performance scenario, except for a split second down the straight at EC, (or if I'm being naughty )

Comment

Originally posted by Andys View Post
      Can you detail exactly what is going on with this mod?

Are you intending to make the 3/4/5 gears shorter, like in a type R?

Personally, I would leave gear #5 tall for fuel economy reasons, since I almost never have to use gear 5 in a performance scenario, except for a split second down the straight at EC, (or if I'm being naughty )
      Hey ,

As described earlier , I have a B18c7 , which has the 4.7 FD
      All AUDM EK4/DC2/DC2R have the same 1/2/3 gearset.
      The final 2 gears differ (and final drive)
      To compare -

AUDM EK4/DC2______AUDM DC2R______new ratio
      3rd 1.458__________" " "______1.695
      4th 1.107__________1.034__________1.296
      5th 0.848__________0.78 __________1.000

My intention is to change the 3/4/5 ratios to the above mentioned - according to the tech facts this gives an average of 21% better acceleration over these 3 final gears , more so gives a better feel and keeps the car in the power band with less momentum. Good for track
      Last edited by bennjamin; 30-09-07, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bennjamin View Post
        My intention is to change the 3/4/5 ratios to the above mentioned - according to the tech facts this gives an average of 21% better acceleration over these 3 final gears , more so gives a better feel and keeps the car in the power band with less momentum. Good for track
        ok. That sounds pretty good, except for 5th. Not sure if I'd want to make it more highly strung. In AU DC2R its already 4000 rpm @ 120kmh

- Andys

Comment

ben, best mod i ever did were the gearsets in conjunction with a light flywheel and smaller clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by freakie View Post
            ben, best mod i ever did were the gearsets in conjunction with a light flywheel and smaller clutch.
            my upgrade from a VTiR gearbox to the Type R one was awesome, so i'd imagine going even higher will be just as rewarding...

just do it - compared to a mugen intake, it will be much more beneficial on the race circuit...
            ... retired/

Comment

i dont get it.. when i change gears at redline i always end up in VTEC in the next gear so you think closer 1/2/3 will help a lot? maybe.. why not just get a 5.05 FD or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                my upgrade from a VTiR gearbox to the Type R one was awesome, so i'd imagine going even higher will be just as rewarding...

just do it - compared to a mugen intake, it will be much more beneficial on the race circuit...
                yes definately Dave.

I gained heaps also from the custom clutch and flywheel, the ones i got fitted are like half the size of the normal clutch and fly, but the response on the pedal and the "feel" of the engine was completely different.

00dc2: probably the reason for not changing the FD is that it changes the ratio of the whole box, ie 1/2/3/4/5 all of them, when the main problem (that i found) was not the 1/2 but rather the 3/4/5 gear sets.

For example around Winton raceway, I previously was feathering the throttle in 3rd gear around what is called the "sweeper" left turn, didnt want to shift up as the speed i could take through that induced drive in understeer = loss fo 1-2 seconds in that corner alone.

learned the left foot braking technique and so i tried to carry more revs by shifting into 4th and left foot braking to control speed, = faster .5seconds but also alot trickier and more thinking, often leading me to muck up the next series of 3 tight corners.

changed the gear ratios of 3/4 to be a tad shorter and able to shift into 4th without left foot braking now in the sweeper, although the overall speed is only 8 kms more in the sweeper, i have gained 1.3 seconds from that sweeper and by not left foot braking that corner, I am able to control the next 3 corners much easier.

hope that helps

Comment

Have you ever thought of drivability? Was speaking to Leonard today about his gearset and reving at 110km on the freeway is around 5k........

Mayb aftermarket ECU?

No point getting gearset unless you gotta be doing some hardcore tracking work...ITR gearbox are perfect for the track. I know a few ppl using ATS gears with 4.4 FD and its excellent.
                  BYP Racing & Developments
                  Built. Tuned. Driven
                  Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

BlackDC2 changed to a shorter 4th and 5th in his DC2R and it was a worth while mod for a track car. Gears were purchased from gear speed in the US. Unsure on the exact ratios off the top of my head, have to ask Jason exactly what went in the 'box.
                    Originally posted by TODA RACING Aust - Adrian
                    In your case, clearly you have a combination that is bordering on crap...

Comment

hey my DC2R revs at 4000 at 115kmph though it's stock. does any 1 know if honda changed the gear ratio's around with the ADM IT R's ? like they did with the JDM

my models 2000model near on last of the DC2R

what makes me ask this is this

Originally posted by Andys View Post
                      ok. That sounds pretty good, except for 5th. Not sure if I'd want to make it more highly strung. In AU DC2R its already 4000 rpm @ 120kmh

- Andys
                      whats a JDM rev at 115kmph ? though it depends on model i think
                      Living The Midnight Dream

Comment

speedos arent that accurate,

so +/- 5km @ 120km/h is accaptabel variance...
                        ... retired/

Comment

lol of course i didn't think of that
                          Living The Midnight Dream

Comment

i did my box to ats gears 1 3 4 5 and fd its really fun on track but street driving is anoying as u change gears to quick..and fuel econmony is a bitch
                            Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #009

Comment

Originally posted by bennjamin View Post
                              Hey ,

As described earlier , I have a B18c7 , which has the 4.7 FD
                              All AUDM EK4/DC2/DC2R have the same 1/2/3 gearset.
                              The final 2 gears differ (and final drive)
                              To compare -

AUDM EK4/DC2______AUDM DC2R______new ratio
                              3rd 1.458__________" " "______1.695
                              4th 1.107__________1.034__________1.296
                              5th 0.848__________0.78 __________1.000

benjamin,

Since when where DC2 and DC2R Gears the same? I thought DC2R was alot tigher throughout the 5, with a higher FD (w/ LSD of course).

I'm thinking of going 4.9 FD on my DC2. Don't really want ITR box.

Comment

Working...
                              X