Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't start - suspect starter motor?

Hi guys,

Car mysteriously wouldn't start after driving well the previous day. There is no cranking, no noise at all.

Battery is fine at 12.5V and doesn't lose voltage when turning the key.

The starter has power and I measured the solenoid gets power when I turn the key, but doesn't budge at all. Can't hear anything except the fuel pump.

Reckon is it the starter motor? Any suggestions other than NRMA on how to resolve this?

Since the car is stuck in my (sloping downwards) driveway, I can't attempt a hillstart

- Andrew

run a wire from the solenoid terminal to the + on the battery ane see what happens...

make sure it is in neutral though...
    ... retired/

Comment

lights on dash when you turn the key?
      Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
      1)ブレーキを踏む
      2)クラッチを切る
      3)シフトダウンしなから、
        アクセルをぶかす
      4)クラッチをつなぐ
      :blah:
      インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
      人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

do you have aftermarket spark plug leads?

when i had some on my car it gave me shit sometimes with startup. took em off and shes back to normal.
        Originally posted by tinkerbell
        if anyone is under the impression VTEC is in any way bad for your engine - please understand that it is NOT bad for your engine,

maybe your drivers licence, but not your engine...

Comment

run a wire from the solenoid terminal to the + on the battery ane see what happens...
          Hmm, well the lead that goes into it gets 12V when I turn the key already.. but OK, I'll give it a go.

lights on dash when you turn the key?
          Yeah, all the normal lights come on..

do you have aftermarket spark plug leads?
          Nope, they're stock, and I tried re-seating them all

- Andrew
          Last edited by Andys; 21-09-07, 09:14 AM.

Comment

OK, when I connected power directly to the solenoid, it cranks!

But the engine won't start, even if crank for a long time

By the way, does anyone know what the electrical terminal near the oil filter is for? I just noticed that mine had fallen off because my sandwich plate has moved and knocked it!

Comment

By the way, when I tried the OBD Paperclip thing, it only flashed "81" which means the ECU, I think? Not looking good..

Comment

Dude it's the battery, I'm pretty sure you want 14volts at the battery not 12 volts.

Go grab the battery out of another car and try starting it.
                /Oo ___H___ oO\
                |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Originally posted by Andys View Post
                  OK, when I connected power directly to the solenoid, it cranks!

so that means the starrter motor is OK.

But the engine won't start, even if crank for a long time

was the key in the ON position?

By the way, does anyone know what the electrical terminal near the oil filter is for?

it is probably just a sensor

I just noticed that mine had fallen off because my sandwich plate has moved and knocked it!
                  Kave - battery is supposed to be 14+ with engien running (i.e. whilst alternator is charging)

andsy - if it doesnt start with the direct wire to solenoid with the key ON - then you might have an ECU problem, but i have no idea why???
                  ... retired/

Comment

OK, I've tried:

1. Jump starting from another car - no difference. My battery is fine

2. Removed my immobiliser in case it was faulty - no help.

3. Reset ECU by removing fuses for an hour. Still no change, except now there are no OBD flash codes on the ABS light at all.

I noticed my green "key" light on the dash stays flashing constantly after I try to start the car.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions, it sounds like I'm going to have to get it towed because of some stupid invisible electrical problem...

- Andrew

Comment

try swapping ecu?

Comment

try using a different ignition key, maybe the chip in your key is screwing up
                        /Oo ___H___ oO\
                        |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

do you have an aftermarket alarm with remote start ?

a friend had that kinda alarm and he could not start the car. Symptom sounds like yours. He called an electrician to sort out his remote start module.

I remember when we turn the key the green ligth kept blinking - which looks like immobilizer is on?

---

Which brings an idea to perhaps check the immobilizer ?

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

I removed my aftermarket immobiliser already - didn't help.

I don't have any other keys for this car unfortunately! so its time to tow to Honda for a total and expensive replacement of the key/immobiliser ignition system.

Comment

Theres a link on ozhonda to remove the immobiliser on the ecu.

Why not try that first ?
                              /Oo ___H___ oO\
                              |=_/_______\_=|

Comment

Working...
                              X