Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch or gearbox problems for DC5R.

Hi all,

Today I encountered a serious problem with either my clutch or gearbox.

I was normally driving around town today and was trying to downshift from 2nd to 1st gear but I couldn't get the gear stick out of 2nd. I had to be very forceful and pull it out with great effort. At the same time my clutch felt very strange, soft and the length of travel was shoften significantly as though the engagment point is all the way to the floor. The only way could get it working properly again was to let out the clutch fully and start from 1st gear. This happened a few times today especially after reversing.

Last few months I've been experiencing the infamous 2nd gear grind and I was wondering whether what happened today is related to it. I have decided the only course of action was to use aftermarket MTF to see if it will solve the grind or making it easier for myself. Would this help?

I curious to know whether anyone here has experience this problem mentioned above.

Obviously I will be taking it to someone to check it out, but I was curious whether anyone here has experienced such problems before. Any input would be fantastic, better then just turning up to my mechnic having no idea.

thanks in advance

when was the last time you had a service. How long had you been driving the car for (was in warm/hot)

Clutch pedal sounds like low clutch fluid.

If this is the problem... wouldn't be suprised if your gearbox oil is low/crap and needing a change.

Comment

Just a small update....I took for a little drive.

It seems the problem occurs more often when I balancing the clutch and gas pedal ie using 1st gear and reverse. And when it happens te clutch pedal does not recline back up and stays down on the floor board. Then I would have to turn off the car and pull the pedal back up using my hands.

The mileage on the car is just under 90k and I had a major service at Hanny's (the bastards) approximately 3 months ago. So all fluids should be in place I assume.

Comment

check the fluids just in case.... not saying the car does... but there might be a leak somewhere.

Also do what the person from Ozhonda said.

Comment

Took my car to IS motoring today...

Basically my clutch has shitted itself. So I am getting that changed and it will be ready tomorrow. At the same time I got a minor service done plus changed my MTF to redline.

Let's see how it goes tomorrow!

Comment

I wouldn't ever use anything other than what Honda recommend.

I also change my gearbox oil every 5000kms with the engine oil.

Be warned, I have seen many times what other-than-recommended oil can do to cars. At my old job at a dealership, we used Shell oil, of the same spec, when Castrol was recommended, with numerous engines and gearboxes destroying themselves after only 5000-10000kms.

I don't care if you think what I'm saying is bull, thats what I thought, until I had to overhaul almost every new Alfa 156 engine and 'box recently after selling the cars. The different brands have completely different additives.

Like the add says, "oils 'aint oils"

So if you think that your mate or local mechanic recommends a different oil and says "she'll be 'rite mate!" .... Just think about why Honda would spend so much money testing and choosing a specific oil when they could just say use any one as long as its the same weight.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackDC5R View Post
              until I had to overhaul almost every new Alfa 156 engine and 'box recently after selling the cars
              and thats anything diff to the rest if the alfas that shit em selves anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                and thats anything diff to the rest if the alfas that shit em selves anyway?

true true.

maybe if used a differant car manufacterer it would have been easier to believe.

but what he is saying is true... use OEM honda gearbox fluid.

Comment

Working...
                X