engine sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine sounds

Hi guys, how do u know if ur engine needs a valve adjustment? i have a ticking sound coming from the engine (at least that where it soundsl ike its coming from) and i dont know if its a normal thing or what
    2000 Honda ITR #00-0366

anyone had similar thoughts or questions?
    2000 Honda ITR #00-0366

Comment

Measure the valve clearances to ensure they are in spec.

If they are out, adjust them. Simple.

If you search this forum for "service manual" or "workshop manual" you will find the specs.

Alternatively just take the car to a mechanic and have them check it for you.

Comment

You should be able to hear the engine ticking ever so slightly...

This will be your injectors opening and closing...

If your valves are noisier than your injectors they might need an adjustment...

If you are unsure - just open up the bonnet with the engine running and stick you head as close as you can to the top of the engine (called the "rocker cover") and listen...

Then move your head to wards the intake manifold where the 4 injectors are...

This will allow you to assess the area where the ticking comes from... however - you should NOT be able to hear the injectors from inside the car
        ... retired/

Comment

Did you do any mods? If you have I/H/E ... I have found with exhaust efficiency, the tapping gets louder... If I install my silencer ... everything goes quiet.
          ..:: Disciple of the DDang Driving School :: ..
          - Don't rev at me, I get scared -

Comment

oh cheers guys, its just the injectors. i thought that originally, but u know how easy it is to love and worry over these cars!! thanx heaps
            2000 Honda ITR #00-0366

Comment

Yeah integras injectors are noisy, but sometimes it can be something leaking, just beware that's all.

Comment

Working...
              X