Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine mount issues

Hi Folks:

I am very curious about so many ITR owner mention about the engine mount issues on any Honda forum, is that a very comment problem on ITr? I heard the issues were they are cracked, or lossen...etc.
    How do I notice they are play-up? What is the symptom? How do i avoid it?
    Hope any of members can give me some inform. about this.
    Many Thanks

SL
    Last edited by tinkerbell; 16-08-07, 12:46 PM.

you will hear clunking noises whilst driving, particulary if driving hard...

it is not a common issue.
    ... retired/

Comment

i just had repairs done to my engine mount because the bolts had broken off in the mount. not sure how it happened
      Last edited by bretgc; 16-08-07, 08:29 PM.
      2000 Honda ITR #00-0366

Comment

I just replaced mine and when I did, I found that my rear mount was wearing and started to crack (from new to 90,000kms). However some things will place more pressure on the mounts

example:
        - excessive hard driving with flat shifting, which is not really necessary in my opinion
        - big grip clutches + excessive hard flat shifting

Under normal driving conditions, I believe you would be unlikely to see any issues with mounts.

Some symtoms that I felt:
        - Car feels like it lost power
        - When you shift, it doesnt chirp in third anymore
        - shuddering on hard acceleration
        - sometimes gears would crunch or gearbox feels inaccurate.
        ..:: Disciple of the DDang Driving School :: ..
        - Don't rev at me, I get scared -

Comment

when i downshift from 3rd to second sorta sloppily, theres a big clunk.... would that be the mount or just me being a tool? :P

Comment

yes, could be a mount...

use a torch and look at the rear engine mount that is hidden underneath the intake manifold

you should be able to tell if there is a split in the rubber - it is usually the rear one that goes first...

even try rocking the engine by hand - grab the rocker cover and try to move it backwards and forwards - you will find out if it has any play or makes a noise for sure...
            ... retired/

Comment

Good steps provided by Tinks

In troubleshooting issues, I would always consider the typical causes of your symptoms first and try to find simple/cheap ways of identifying it. In many cases, there can be a number of issues that cause similar symptoms.

- With gear changes/grinding etc (even in slow change) ... I would check gearbox oil first ... or atleast identify when it was last changed. I have found that it may also occur when I haven't changed my engine oil in a while (not sure how but i've correlated it from my own experience).

Then look at whether it might be the bushing etc .. causing inaccuracy

Then look into more complex causes such as mounts, syncros, clutch etc .. all the expensive stuff

If the problem is intermittent or can be reproduced under a unique condition (consistency of issue) also helps ppl identify the problem.
              ..:: Disciple of the DDang Driving School :: ..
              - Don't rev at me, I get scared -

Comment

Working...
              X