Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket ECU's Autronic or Hondata, which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket ECU's Autronic or Hondata, which is better?

I am thinking of getting an aftermarket ECU. I have been recommended bot Autronic and Hondata.

I have a K20Z on my DC5 and I plan on getting fear few mods.

I was told that the Autronic is easier to tune and has more features than the K-pro . they are both excellent performers.

I would appreciate your comments if you have some experience or knowledge i this area.
    Last edited by PolitoHood; 14-08-07, 03:24 PM.
    Nankangs, Better than Your-Mums-Cans

* Please note, I hate Nankangs.

I would say Hondata ftw but I am biased because I have one on my car. But considering I've got a stock car and ECU only, the power gains are awesome. I think the Kpro is easy to tune, but haven't looked at autronic.

Comment

how much are autronic???

z10 says:
      i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
      z10 says:
      mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Get the ECU that your tuner is comfortable tuning with. No point getting a top of the range ECU and your tuner doesn't know how to tune it. The ECU can only be as good as the person tuning it.

But in saying that... K-PRO nets excellent results.

Have you got a tuner in mind to tune it?

Comment

even though i am an autronic person.. i might have to actually say Hondata (GASP OMG i said it)

one reason is i think autronic doesnt have an output to do Cam angles (independantly?) or something like that i forget =P.. (correct me if im wrong)
          either that or no one has bothered trying..

But Autronic and Motec are one of the best aftermarket ecus out there..

but what ATSE said about getting what your Tuner is proficient with is somewhat a good idea.. but if your in melbourne be weary of where you get your hondata.. or you might just get HONDATA-ED! (old joke)

find yourself a tuner

and Ed autronic Can start for a PnP unit for a Dc2,Eg Almost anything ODB1 or ODB2(with harness) for around 2.6k dont quote me on price as this was a long time ago i bought mine =P

and as for your comment about Easier to tune.. umm well lets say this

Hondata comes with basemaps for your Dc5..

Autronic Does NOT.. you will have to tune from scratch.. hence prolly a dyno having to play around with idle, cold and warm.. fuel compensations and crap like that.. autronic is more Versatile.. but also more complex hondata atleast you can drive off with your base map and get it tunned later on..
          Last edited by Wlee2; 14-08-07, 08:51 PM.
          Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
          some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
          Originally posted by tinkerbell
          if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
          A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
          Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

He is in Sydney so he won't have any problems getting HONDATA-ED hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by EL_DC5 View Post
              I am thinking of getting an aftermarket ECU. I have been recommended bot Autronic and Hondata.

I have a K20Z on my DC5 and I plan on getting fear few mods.

I was told that the Autronic is easier to tune and has more features than the K-pro . they are both excellent performers.

I would appreciate your comments if you have some experience or knowledge i this area.
              Whats do you plan on doing?
              Are you prepared to get your car re-tuned after each mod?

Would it not be better to get other mods first and pay for tuning once?
              happyhong says:
              aus only have 3 r
              happyhong says:
              civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Originally posted by fueltank View Post
                Whats do you plan on doing?
                Are you prepared to get your car re-tuned after each mod?
                X2

Will you be tuning the car yourself or will you be sending your car away to be tuned by your tuner, after each mod?

Autronic now supports cam angle tuning with its SM4. How much for an Autronic SM4 + DC5 loom?
                Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

I was told that is heaps quicker to program than hondata and better interface. Much quicker either way

Originally posted by Wlee2 View Post
                  even though i am an autronic person.. i might have to actually say Hondata (GASP OMG i said it)

one reason is i think autronic doesnt have an output to do Cam angles (independantly?) or something like that i forget =P.. (correct me if im wrong)
                  either that or no one has bothered trying..

But Autronic and Motec are one of the best aftermarket ecus out there..

but what ATSE said about getting what your Tuner is proficient with is somewhat a good idea.. but if your in melbourne be weary of where you get your hondata.. or you might just get HONDATA-ED! (old joke)

find yourself a tuner

and Ed autronic Can start for a PnP unit for a Dc2,Eg Almost anything ODB1 or ODB2(with harness) for around 2.6k dont quote me on price as this was a long time ago i bought mine =P

and as for your comment about Easier to tune.. umm well lets say this

Hondata comes with basemaps for your Dc5..

Autronic Does NOT.. you will have to tune from scratch.. hence prolly a dyno having to play around with idle, cold and warm.. fuel compensations and crap like that.. autronic is more Versatile.. but also more complex hondata atleast you can drive off with your base map and get it tunned later on..

Comment

I'd say, buy other mods first & leave ECU for last.

Comment

Don't forget that Autronic also has Autotune, users on the Evo forum claim it be quite useful. I haven't any experience with it, but just thought to bring up the point.
                      Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #001

Comment

SM4 Model ECU.
                        The SM4 is our latest model ECU. This ECU has many features which allow it to be setup to suit various types of engine configurations. It has very flexible options over how the inputs and outputs are controlled, and allows the user to design their own functions to control all sorts of devices. Precise control of injectors and ignition angle are guaranteed at very low or high RPM or manifold pressures. A very high level of protection from interference and tolerance of trigger input errors has been built into this ECU, ensuring a smooth running engine even under the most demanding conditions.

Variable camshaft control for up to two camshaft. Control of camshaft position is very precise and time taken to advance from full retard to full advance is less the 1 second. Support for most VVT and VANOS systems.

Closed loop control of idle speed and boost pressure makes for a "factory" idle speed stability, and precise control of boost pressure. Boost control can be setup to provide a different boost in each gear.

The optional internal knock control module gives one of the most advanced aftermarket knock control available. Knock control is user definable to use either fuel enrichment or ignition retard or a combination of both the control only the cylinders that have knock.

HARDWARE:

Main Connector 42 way sealed with protective cover.

PC serial data link connector 3 way 3.5 dia.

Case, silver extruded aluminium, 130 x 124 x 48 MM (overall).

Processor speed 25% faster & overall performance > 2.OX previous generation.

OK to 13,000 rpm on 16 cylinder engine. 1 to 12 cylinders to > 16000rpm.

ECU to PC data link operates at up to 115k baud for fast cal down load & Log file upload (19sec typ for 112k bytes). 112k logging memory.

Internal Diagnostic light & optional remote light.

High efficiency power supply & output drivers for reduced power consumption and reduced self-heating.

Four ignition outputs. (With external multiplexer up to eight) Rating Push-Pull +/-1 amp max. Up to 3 useable for alternate functions.

Software selectable mappable dwell or O/P pulse duration modes possible.

Four coil dwell, software selectable. (With external multiplexer up to eight)

Eight injector outputs. Rating selectable software 4/1 amp 2/0.5 amp peak/hold type for high & low current injector types or parallel operation of injector pairs. Rating may be specified independently for 2 groups of 4 O/Ps. Sequential, single or double shot 1 or 2 group fire possible for up to 16 injectors. Up to 7 useable for alternate functions.

10 General purpose (GP) outputs
                        3 PWM (dedicated)
                        5 Pull-down @ 3.5 amp max
                        1 Pull-down @ 1 amp max
                        4 Push-Pull @ +/- 1 amp max (also suitable for stepper motor control).
                        15 PWM using GP outputs, spare Injector or Ignition O/Ps. All have 1 OHz min, 3 have upper limit of 50OHz, 2 have upper limit of 1.2KHz.

In-built dual reluctor interface / hall effect interface. Camshaft & crankshaft sensor inputs individually software configurable for hall effect & reluctor sensor types. Response speed is also software configurable for improved noise immunity.

Three general purpose digital Inputs with logic level sensitivity & pullup to +5volts. Useable for speed measurement. Switch I/Ps. Two are useable for Camshaft position measurement.

Knock control with individual cylinder retard (requires installation of additional internal module).

Variable Camshaft control for up to two camshafts. VANOS and other VVT and VVT-i supported.

Autronic or NTC air temp sensors, software selectable.

Internal or external map sensor, software selectable.

High and low injector driver software selectable.

Stepper motor idle control.

Support for most idle valve type including 2 wire, 3 wire & stepper possible. Stepper pins can be used for spare outputs if not used for idle control.

Support for air flow meters.

Internal Pressure sensor useable for MAP &/or barometric sensing.

Tacho & Diagnostic outputs.

3 x Spare Analog inputs (EGT, EBP, 02, etc...) Spare analog Inputs may be used as additional low speed digital inputs (eg:- switch inputs). Two have dual logic levels (two switch levels per input)

Analog inputs can be set for predefined calibrations or user defined calibrations.

SOFTWARE:

Autotune (self tuning software).
                        Launch Control (two step rev limiter based on vehicle speed).
                        Flatshift (change gears without clutch at WOT using standard gearbox).
                        Antilag (keep turbocharger on boost during gear changes) with turbo cooldown function.
                        Selectable ignition tables. Output tables can be based on any X and Y axis parmentier.
                        Fuel and ignition tables have 32 rpm and 16 load site axis.
                        Many correction tables for precision fuel & ignition adaption.
                        Table axis values totally user selectable.
                        Multi tooth, missing tooth, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Ford TFI and Gen3 triggers. Software selectable trigger angle.
                        Support for two and three rotor engines with ignition split.
                        Dedicated idle control with additional settings for better adaption to changing operating condition and a more stable idle.
                        Dedicated Closed loop boost control, and other settings for stable boost pressures. Dedicated A/C compressor control.
                        Dedicated twin cooling fan control.
                        Dedicated NOS injection control, coordinates fuel & ignition.
                        13 General purpose control modules for O/P control. (use for variable fuel pump, power steering, inlet manifold air valves, extra temperature control devices etc) 4 of these are capable of PID feedback control (typical application for PIDs are variable camshaft positioning or inlet manifold length).
                        Mapping via manifold pressure, throttle position, manifold and throttle or manifold, throttle and exhaust backpressure.

Case Dimensions:

L = 130mm (5-1/8")
                        W = 124mm (4-7/8")
                        H = 48mm (1-7/8")
                        Weight = 0.5kg (1.1 lbs)

Comment

Originally posted by EL_DC5 View Post
                          SM4 Model ECU.
                          The SM4 is our latest model ECU. This ECU has many features which allow it to be setup to suit various types of engine configurations. It has very flexible options over how the inputs and outputs are controlled, and allows the user to design their own functions to control all sorts of devices. Precise control of injectors and ignition angle are guaranteed at very low or high RPM or manifold pressures. A very high level of protection from interference and tolerance of trigger input errors has been built into this ECU, ensuring a smooth running engine even under the most demanding conditions.

Variable camshaft control for up to two camshaft. Control of camshaft position is very precise and time taken to advance from full retard to full advance is less the 1 second. Support for most VVT and VANOS systems.

Closed loop control of idle speed and boost pressure makes for a "factory" idle speed stability, and precise control of boost pressure. Boost control can be setup to provide a different boost in each gear.

The optional internal knock control module gives one of the most advanced aftermarket knock control available. Knock control is user definable to use either fuel enrichment or ignition retard or a combination of both the control only the cylinders that have knock.

HARDWARE:

Main Connector 42 way sealed with protective cover.

PC serial data link connector 3 way 3.5 dia.

Case, silver extruded aluminium, 130 x 124 x 48 MM (overall).

Processor speed 25% faster & overall performance > 2.OX previous generation.

OK to 13,000 rpm on 16 cylinder engine. 1 to 12 cylinders to > 16000rpm.

ECU to PC data link operates at up to 115k baud for fast cal down load & Log file upload (19sec typ for 112k bytes). 112k logging memory.

Internal Diagnostic light & optional remote light.

High efficiency power supply & output drivers for reduced power consumption and reduced self-heating.

Four ignition outputs. (With external multiplexer up to eight) Rating Push-Pull +/-1 amp max. Up to 3 useable for alternate functions.

Software selectable mappable dwell or O/P pulse duration modes possible.

Four coil dwell, software selectable. (With external multiplexer up to eight)

Eight injector outputs. Rating selectable software 4/1 amp 2/0.5 amp peak/hold type for high & low current injector types or parallel operation of injector pairs. Rating may be specified independently for 2 groups of 4 O/Ps. Sequential, single or double shot 1 or 2 group fire possible for up to 16 injectors. Up to 7 useable for alternate functions.

10 General purpose (GP) outputs
                          3 PWM (dedicated)
                          5 Pull-down @ 3.5 amp max
                          1 Pull-down @ 1 amp max
                          4 Push-Pull @ +/- 1 amp max (also suitable for stepper motor control).
                          15 PWM using GP outputs, spare Injector or Ignition O/Ps. All have 1 OHz min, 3 have upper limit of 50OHz, 2 have upper limit of 1.2KHz.

In-built dual reluctor interface / hall effect interface. Camshaft & crankshaft sensor inputs individually software configurable for hall effect & reluctor sensor types. Response speed is also software configurable for improved noise immunity.

Three general purpose digital Inputs with logic level sensitivity & pullup to +5volts. Useable for speed measurement. Switch I/Ps. Two are useable for Camshaft position measurement.

Knock control with individual cylinder retard (requires installation of additional internal module).

Variable Camshaft control for up to two camshafts. VANOS and other VVT and VVT-i supported.

Autronic or NTC air temp sensors, software selectable.

Internal or external map sensor, software selectable.

High and low injector driver software selectable.

Stepper motor idle control.

Support for most idle valve type including 2 wire, 3 wire & stepper possible. Stepper pins can be used for spare outputs if not used for idle control.

Support for air flow meters.

Internal Pressure sensor useable for MAP &/or barometric sensing.

Tacho & Diagnostic outputs.

3 x Spare Analog inputs (EGT, EBP, 02, etc...) Spare analog Inputs may be used as additional low speed digital inputs (eg:- switch inputs). Two have dual logic levels (two switch levels per input)

Analog inputs can be set for predefined calibrations or user defined calibrations.

SOFTWARE:

Autotune (self tuning software).
                          Launch Control (two step rev limiter based on vehicle speed).
                          Flatshift (change gears without clutch at WOT using standard gearbox).
                          Antilag (keep turbocharger on boost during gear changes) with turbo cooldown function.
                          Selectable ignition tables. Output tables can be based on any X and Y axis parmentier.
                          Fuel and ignition tables have 32 rpm and 16 load site axis.
                          Many correction tables for precision fuel & ignition adaption.
                          Table axis values totally user selectable.
                          Multi tooth, missing tooth, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Ford TFI and Gen3 triggers. Software selectable trigger angle.
                          Support for two and three rotor engines with ignition split.
                          Dedicated idle control with additional settings for better adaption to changing operating condition and a more stable idle.
                          Dedicated Closed loop boost control, and other settings for stable boost pressures. Dedicated A/C compressor control.
                          Dedicated twin cooling fan control.
                          Dedicated NOS injection control, coordinates fuel & ignition.
                          13 General purpose control modules for O/P control. (use for variable fuel pump, power steering, inlet manifold air valves, extra temperature control devices etc) 4 of these are capable of PID feedback control (typical application for PIDs are variable camshaft positioning or inlet manifold length).
                          Mapping via manifold pressure, throttle position, manifold and throttle or manifold, throttle and exhaust backpressure.

Case Dimensions:

L = 130mm (5-1/8")
                          W = 124mm (4-7/8")
                          H = 48mm (1-7/8")
                          Weight = 0.5kg (1.1 lbs)
                          Thanks google bot
                          happyhong says:
                          aus only have 3 r
                          happyhong says:
                          civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

man did this thread just turn to an Ozhonda Ecu thread...??

and yeh manny the Autronic does have autotune..

but i have also never tried or seen it used.. i actually thought u neeeded it to be on dyno to use auto tune..

autronic wirein SM4.. umm i dunno about harness but i assume they call it wirein for a reason..

as far as i know for honda only the SMC comes in Plug and play for ODb1 - ODB2 (with conversion harness)

interface wise? well if your not tunning the Ecu why worry?

Simple Hondata has basemaps Autronic dont.. unless u dare borrow someones elses map with similar specs..

Imo Autronic is better than the Hondata.. but here in melb we seriously lack tuners.. so if you dare do it yourself hondata is much easier with little knowhow =P

id say autronic you would need to know what your doing

and as for Mr Google Bot.. WTF.. .. why post up the whole webpage for =P
                            Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
                            some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
                            Originally posted by tinkerbell
                            if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
                            A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
                            Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

Autotune will automatically tune AFR against a set value. Ie. tell Autronic that you want an AFR of 12:1 during WOT and then do a run and it should automatically tune your fueling table for you based upon feedback from your wideband.

Kpro has something similar to autotune feature (lambda overlay) this where AFR tables are populated with changes that the ECU reccomends to achieve a desired AFR. These changes need to be made manually, as opposed to being automatic through the autotune feature.

Assuming that your not tuning the ECU yourself, despite being a 05-06 DC5 with no wideband, can the OP just use a 02-04 Kpro? (~$1800 new) *looks at Vincent for answer*

Autronic is a better ECU, however for your purposes of being a street driven car (as opposed to full blown racing, I assume), I doubt think you'll notice any difference between the two ECU's.

Ask your tuner what benefits there are from running an Autronic as opposed to a Kpro and ask him to translate this into what you'll actually see in the real world.
                              Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X